Old 09-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #1

City: Salem, OR
Vessel Name: Reunion
Vessel Model: 1978 Marine Trader Europa 40
Trawler Purchase Advice

Hi all,
I am currently looking at a 1978 Marine Trader Europa Sedan 40. It looks like it has been under cover most of its life. Fiberglass and bright work are in very good condition. Interior is mostly original but in good shape as well. The Ford Lemans engine shows 5600 hours but the prior owner was a diesel mechanic and supposedly rebuilt the motor. It comes with a spare motor as well.

It needs both fuel tanks replaced and the current owner got a couple of rough quote for between $25,000 to $30,000 to replace them. I feel I can replace them myself for a lot less. I am very handy and have restored boats, cars, homes and rv’s in the past and enjoy a project if I can save some money.

He is asking $25,000 for the boat. Does this seem like a reasonable price for this boat and is it worth putting the time and money into it.

I currently have a 1984 Bayliner 2850 Contessa flybridge that I have restored and am looking to upsize boats and possibly live aboard.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0030[492].jpg  
dlucas61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It If the boat is in good condition I think it is reasonable. I am planning to replace one of my fuel tanks this winter. I have to pull out an engine in order to get the tank out/in. I have a quote for a new 210 gallon 1/4” 5052 aluminum tank for about $2400 with shipping. I will spend about $1400 to buy all the equipment I need to pull the engine. I plan to replace the other engine next year so the $1400 will be amortized over 2 engines. It depends on how mechanical you are. If you can do the tanks yourself then I think the price is ok if the boat is in good condition. Good luck. Oh, BTW, welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
Guru

City: Trenton
Sounds like a good investment to me. There are many options for fuel tank replacement from signing checks to sawing them to pieces yourself. Don't let me know where this boat is located or I may end up buying it myself!
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

How big are the tanks and where are they located? It sounds like it is a single engine so tank replacement may be easier.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Am I reading right, this is a single engine boat with a spare engine thrown in?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:43 PM   #6

Comodave response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
It If the boat is in good condition I think it is reasonable. I am planning to replace one of my fuel tanks this winter. I have to pull out an engine in order to get the tank out/in. I have a quote for a new 210 gallon 1/4” 5052 aluminum tank for about $2400 with shipping. I will spend about $1400 to buy all the equipment I need to pull the engine. I plan to replace the other engine next year so the $1400 will be amortized over 2 engines. It depends on how mechanical you are. If you can do the tanks yourself then I think the price is ok if the boat is in good condition. Good luck. Oh, BTW, welcome aboard.
Thanks for the response Comodave. I am very capable to do the work myself. The companies that quoted the replacement proposed removing the motor and generator. I think I can just move the engine over to get the new tanks installed. Good luck on your project.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #7

Tanks are on each side of the engine compartment. It is a single engine.
Thanks
Old 09-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #8

It is a single engine with a spare motor.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I think its a good deal for you. Plastic tanks can replace existing steel/aluminum if you so desire. I think you have a solid plan and experience to do well here. Still get pre purchase survey and engine survey..
Old 09-02-2019, 09:10 PM   #10
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
If not already there, put a thruster i the bow. Those engines are worth half or more of the asking price, and you sound like the right guy for this boat, if it were doing the human shopping.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I am in the process of building a crane to pick up my port engine and slide it over the top of the starboard engine for storage while I replace the tank. I usually overdo everything but in this case the engine and transmission weigh about 1350 pounds so I am going to be careful. Then next year over the winter I will do it for the starboard tank which may be more work since all the wiring is along that side.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
With good bones, I'd jump on that, too. Sounds like a great opportunity if the work doesn't scare you off.

Does the spare engine run?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

If you buy the boat, make sure the current fuel tanks are not actively leaking. The fines for spilling diesel overboard can be staggering. If you think they may be leaking get the fuel out of it immediately.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I am in the process of building a crane to pick up my port engine and slide it over the top of the starboard engine for storage while I replace the tank. I usually overdo everything but in this case the engine and transmission weigh about 1350 pounds so I am going to be careful. Then next year over the winter I will do it for the starboard tank which may be more work since all the wiring is along that side.
Having done exactly this with a pair of Lehman 90's, two or three come-alongs and a bunch of timbers, let me suggest removing the trannies first. It turns out, as you likely know, the single biggest problem is cutting out the old tanks. It took three of us the maneuver the engines over one another and back to square one, but most of the rest of the work was a one-person effort.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I have yet to actually see the fuel tanks. They are enclosed by insulation and I can only see in a couple of very small access hatches. But I am hoping to get the old tank out in one piece. It will depend on how they are attached and the actual measurements of the tank. If I can’t get it out without cutting it up then I will have to go with 2 smaller tanks to make up the equivalent tankage. I am not sure if taking the transmission off will make it any easier or not. It looks like we can easily lift the engine and transmission up and out pretty easily, well maybe not easily but straightforward.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #16
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Does the spare motor run? If so, let me know if you pass the deal up.

Sounds like you enjoy restoring boats so you are experienced enough to know what you're getting into. It's not a trivial job. I would be tempted to move the engine out and redo the whole ER. It's probably due for a complete overhaul.

Price sounds good, esp if he's willing to haggle. I don't think many buyers will touch a boat with leaky tanks.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:37 PM   #17

Tanks are 200 gallons each and have been emptied of all fuel.

Tanks are under floor so they are going to be a challenge to get to. I was thinking about just cutting the side of the old tanks out and use them as a compartment for the new tanks. I would put padding around the inside of the old tanks and secure the new tanks inside. Of course it depends on how bad the old tanks are but if they just have minor corrosion that can be treated then why remove them completey?
Old 09-02-2019, 11:44 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Well they will have baffles inside them to deal with. I think that it would be a mistake to do it that way as it will probably fail a survey for your insurance or if you go to sell the boat.

With a single Lehman you could cut the old tanks out and replace them with something slightly smaller and still have sufficient fuel for your fuel burn.

In a 1978 boat, the tanks are probably past a simple patching.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:49 PM   #19

Spare motor is partially dissembled so it does not run at this time. I think the existing motor in the boat has been rebuilt so hopefully I don't have to rebuild it for a while.

There has been a survey just done on the boat by another person that was going to buy it but his financing fell through. The person didn't pay for the survey so I could buy it from the surveyor.

I talked to the surveyor and he said that the boat was in good shape and just had a couple soft spots on the exterior side wall supports which he said was typical and not a major issue. He also said the mechanicals came back good ( motors, trans, etc).
Old 09-02-2019, 11:57 PM   #20

Good point Comodave. Want make sure the replacement passes survey and there are no insurance issues. Don't want to go to all that work and do it wrong. Was just thinking it could save some time and effort.