Old 09-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Trawler Prices

Now that hurricanes Harvey and Irma have destroyed or sunk a significant number of boats, will these events have an impact on the resale price of trawlers?

Economic theory suggests a reduction of supply of used trawlers will lead to higher used trawler prices but an alternative theory suggests the carnage caused by these events will scare boat buyers away. So, what is the answer?
Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: kemah
no where near enough boat got sunk to make any difference. local gouging will always happen, but it wont amount to a hill of beans in the end.

But just in case I am going to market mine in the Caribbean. LOL
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #3

City: Houston
After Hurricane Ike a lot of people who lost boats took the ins payoff and didn't replace them. So the market impact was negligible. I do know that a lot of owners didn't even try to prep their boats ahead of the storm....saw it as an opportunity to get out of the boating world since they weren't using them anyway.
In my own case, the adjuster drove by my boat (still afloat), took 4 photos from his car window and called it a total loss. P**sed me off as the damage was nowhere near the agreed value. It went to auction, got bought for virtually nothing and is now on Lake Michigan, looking better than new.
I tried to buy it back myself but had too much going on in my life and missed it. (Technically my college roommate was the "buyer").

Quite a few trawlers and sportfishers got juicy new diesels though.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Money will be somewhat scarce and insurance will go up.
Scarce money will probably reduce new boat sales but old boats will probably increase slightly in value. Just my oinion.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Spare parts from salvaged boat will flood the market and will allow to maintain your boat for less. Drama for ones... benefit to others (of course I am joking even if this is really not funny)

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Northport
Hurricane Sandy damaged or sunk right around 60,000 boats - it seemed to have little impact on the pricing.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Boston Area
I would guess that the reduced supply will be offset by reduced demand due to increased insurance cost. If prices were to rise appreciably, more people would decide to sell their boats, boosting supply and restoring pricing equilibrium.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #8
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Interesting observations specially the one about owners who want to get out of boating and hoped their boat would be destroyed.

Had some interest in a boat located at Marathon but when I looked it up yesterday on Yachtworld, it was no where to be found. I assume it was either destroyed or severely damaged and the broker pulled the listing.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #9
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I pretty much have my tug up to snuff and would be willing to gouge someone if a mullet swam by.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
FF
Guru

I guess we will see if useful boats are snapped up.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/boa/6306949216.html
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #11
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
I guess we will see if useful boats are snapped up.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/boa/6306949216.html
You don't think it looks a bit "used up" and neglected for $34k? If the cosmetics have been allowed to degrade that much, what are the mechanicals like?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There will be some opportunists trying to take advantage of what they perceive to be a changed Market and increase pricing. They will be greatly disappointed.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #13
FF
Guru

"If the cosmetics have been allowed to degrade that much, what are the mechanicals like?"

Paint is critical on a wood boat to keep the rot out.

On a plastic boat what counts is not weather it shines in the dark , but weather it functions and is a delight to be aboard.

One delight was running the Loop with nothing but PM , the "mechanicals , water pump, bilge pump , waste pump are new , the auto pilot has a belted pump , which operates the wheel steering and the rebuilt windlass.

Small stuff like windshield wipers , anchor and running lights were new a couple of years ago, and are a big nothing to replace.

This boat is outfitted for KISS , there is no electronics suite , just a VHF and hand held GPS.

Happily the engine spent until the 1990s in a military reserve storage can from new , in a mountain depot.

AS we cruise at 7 K the engine A Detroit 6-71 Natural is less than 1/6 worn out.

If you are that interested in shine a top coat of paint is only a day away.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Fair Play
Vessel Model: 1960 Taley 40' cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post

You don't think it looks a bit "used up" and neglected for $34k? If the cosmetics have been allowed to degrade that much, what are the mechanicals like?
FYI, that's FF's boat.....
alesnloggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #15

City: Houston
Just curious, what would the original engine(s) have been?
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:02 AM   #16
FF
Guru

The boat was fitted with a Detrit 6-71 when new , and of course has a Twin Disc tranny.

The Current is a 6-71 from Grey Marine that sat in storage in a nitrogen can till the late 1990's

Looking at the posted pictures I guess WH found the state of the fore deck not too yachty.

I agree!

The Navy Utilities were built to use , with no consideration to anchoring.

They would be brought up from the lower hangar deck on a wheeled cradle , 5 cables would be attached to built in lifting points and they would be lowered.

Should one become disabled it would be towed back to the carrier hoisted and repairs carried out aboard.

To go touring first the deck had to be repaired as years of use loosened the cleats , a bollard, a set of bow rollers installed for Danforth H 60 and 60 CQR ,a hyd capstan added with a chain stopper to hold the boat.

Simplest was to recycle the 1 1/2 thick GRP from a boat that cut its transom down.

I rather enjoy the donor vessels name on the GRP plank, but can understand why some would be puzzled.

The current hassle is the no skid on the fore deck is carrier grade. This is epoxy and flint , very sharp to help the aircraft stat aboard.

It is hard on the feet , and really , really! hard to remove.

Great care with a Fen tool will do the job , eventually , but its never been a priority.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:22 AM   #17
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Often true but not always.

A few cruisers out there like me accept workboat finish but our boats are ready to go with used hard but maintained systems. Like their workboat cousins.

While a lot of boats sit in the yards getting pretty, some are putting miles under their keels.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote