Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #21
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
RE: Trawler owners with Sailing history.

Quote:
KJ wrote:

John,* I currently own a sailboat and have been sailing for roughly 35 yrs.* I love sailing, it's in my blood.* When*I see a sailboat gliding or charging across the water, with sails neatly trimmed, it brings a smile to my face.* However, this summer I plan on buying a trawler.* About ten yrs ago I was cruising the San Juan Islands with my son. We had trailered our sailboat up from California. We had a wonderful time, but I remember saying to him that if we were to do this trip again, that we would charter a trawler and do it*in comfort.* Now that*I am getting ready to retire (love the sound of that), *I realize that handling a 40 45 ft sailboat by myself would be quite a chore, even if she was rigged for single-handed operation ( even with roller- furling). *I look at the interior space of a comparable size trawler, the*idea of not having to beat to weather to get where I'm going when it's blowing like snot,*and quite a few other factors, all convince me that a trawler is the way to go.* According to one of our senior members, the price of fuel should not be that much of an overall factor in owning a trawler.* Besides, where else can you "hang out" with such a nice bunch of folks like you can*on this forum?*** KJ
ps* I plan on keeping my 22ft pocket cruiser (sloop) when I buy the trawler.

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 05:10:11 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 05:10:34 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 05:14:06 PM
KJ,** Sounds like a man with a plan.** A trawler and a sailboat- as you say its "in my blood".

Happy New Year****** John and Miri**** "Adagio"** +*** ?

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
koliver wrote:

p,s,s,p. not counting tenders, of course, as those are changeable.

Seems a lot of trawler folks had sailboats!!

Happy New Year*** John and Miri*** "Adagio"

Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

My husband and I met through sailing and he had a sailboat at that time.* We have since owned three other sailboats.* We were part of a partnership on*a sailboat we took to Hawaii*from SF in July and we wanted our own boat again after that trip was over.* We switched to power because unless we were racing the sailboat we were usually motoring trying to get to a destination that was too far / the wrong way to realistically sail to in the time we had.* We have plenty of friends with sailboats so we can always go sailing or racing if we want...* We've been cruising the new boat like mad and we*are heading out Friday for a four day new years trip.**We both enjoy being on the*water so are happy*sailing or motoring but MAN do we love the space on the trawler.* Our 35' trawler lives so much larger than the 42' sailboat we had prior.**We*really love it.*

Jennifer,** Sounds like you have the best of both worlds.* You are so right about the liveable space on a trawler.* We still are in awe of the great views from the salon windows that you could only see if you were out in the cockpit of a sailboat.

Happy New Year**** John and Miri*** "Adagio"
Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:

I got into boating for the same reason!!!!...among all of the other ones as well. I honestly don't think the type of boat has any impact on the opposite sex. Girls just like being on boats.... recent pics on the current PB....
And a fine reason it is!!!

Happy New Year***** John and Miri*** "Adagio"
Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

All of my "hands on" boating experience (not counting oars or paddles) has been on auxiliary, displacement,*mono-hull*sailboats.* I'm having a two-sail, fore-and-aft staysail rig on the Coot to keep me busy if I become bored on the trawler.

Great idea!*** Our IslandGypsy has what we call a powerboat mast.* A streamlined centerpiece to hold the radar and stuff.* Kind of wish*we had one with the steading sail, mast and boom setup. Must be nice to put a boat together just the way you want.

Happy New Year**** John and Miri**** "Adagio"

For the last few years, my boating has been limited to cruise ships.

(After initiation, having past Cape Horn.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 07:22:14 PM
Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Mike wrote:

I've owned a lot of boats over the years, sail and power.

Want to have fun on the water for a afternoon? Sail wins hands down.

Want to go somewhere, cruise, and spend months on the boat? Power.

I'll keep my DeFever.

We do own a Zuma though,* and sail her around the lagoon when it's warm enough. Great fun when she gets up on plane, something my DeFever will never do

Mike
Merritt Island, FL.
Mike,* I am begining to think a small sailboat for fun is the way to go.* Trawlers are a lot more practical for comfort.

Happy New Year******** John and Miri**** "Adagio"
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Steve wrote:

My Dad and I owned a Lightning, then a Gulf Coast 23, both trailerable centerboard models back in the 70s and 80 we really enjoyed it. The problem was, here in Louisiana we seem to have violent thunderstorms full of lightning, followed by hours of dead calm. Spent years fishing from outboards then got the trawler bug, owned a Camano 31 for 4 years then on to the Monk 36. I really enjoy seeing a nice sailboat out on the water and meeting sailors along the way.
Steve W.
Steve,* You are right it is easy to discount how much the weather can effect a sailboat, while we are all snug behind pilothouse windows.

Happy New Year***** John and Miri* "Adagio"
Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:

What got me into trawlers and out of sail is the "cave effect" you get when down below on a sailboat...or an express cruiser(like my current boat). I didn't have the means then or now to get a deck salon type of sailboat to get out of the "cave".
John,** The picture window view from our trawler is one of the best things about it and it can be something different all the time.

Happy New Year****** John and* Miri****** "Adagio"
Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote:

I have come full circle...
I started in c class runabout racing... moved up to flat bottom drag boats...
then to ski boats...and day cruisers... then to a sucession of sailboats that the last one we sailed across the Pacific.
When we moved to Washington we sold the snail boat and moved to a GB36... then to Volunteer.. two trawlers!... now we are into a 45' sea ray express, with plans to move back to sail in a few years on either a 45' mono hull or a 42'+ cat... my how times change!..after we sail for a few years and want to " slow down" again we will undoubtedly be back on a trawler.. My wife explains it all by pointing to the name boards of a number of the boats we had... all named " Restless"
HOLLYWOO

"Restless"*** Indeed,* but what a great life.**I now see it is all about being out on the water, not the type of boat.

Happy New Year******* John and Miri**** "Adagio"
Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #30
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Trawler owners with Sailing history.

My kids and I are BIG saliors!! We still own our sailboat, Little Sunshine, in addition to our trawler. Here are a few pics of our sailing vessel- we LOVE it!

Like I said, and as you can tell from the pics, we are big sailors and accustomed to some of the largest sailing vessels available in the world! * As you can see from the pics (a few years old right now), I was heavily into my/our Pirate phase, thus the larger beard! *

-- Edited by Woodsong on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 09:41:21 PM
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

My kids and I are BIG saliors!! We still own our sailboat, Little Sunshine, in addition to our trawler. Here are a few pics of our sailing vessel- we LOVE it!

Like I said, and as you can tell from the pics, we are big sailors and accustomed to some of the largest sailing vessels available in the world! * As you can see from the pics (a few years old right now), I was heavily into my/our Pirate phase, thus the larger beard! *

-- Edited by Woodsong on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 09:41:21 PM
Woodsong-** Great pics, awesome crew!** The boat looks like an 11' Snark I had back in 69.** Great fun - everything was in 1969 -at least I think so. lol

Happy New Year**** John and Miri**** "Adagio"
Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #32
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Even though we be Pirates, ye be seein' that we be usin' suncreen!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 AM   #33
FF
Guru

Sail for sure ,always liveaboard, Li Sound , Bermuda , the Carib, PR, ST Thomas to T-dad a bunch of times.

Still have a sailing ocean cruiser as well as the Benateau fun toy as well as our 50 ft lobster conversion.

Joys of owning dirt in FL is the ability to store 300+ ft of toys for free as well as have room for visitors .

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 30th of December 2010 05:38:27 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:

Sail for sure ,always liveaboard, Li Sound , Bermuda , the Carib, PR, ST Thomas to T-dad a bunch of times.

Still have a sailing ocean cruiser as well as the Benateau fun toy as well as our 50 ft lobster conversion.

Joys of owning dirt in FL is the ability to store 300+ ft of toys for free as well as have room for visitors .

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 30th of December 2010 05:38:27 AM
Wow, With that much waterfront you have really slashed one of the big costs of boating ( Slip fees ).** I suppose with 3 yachts your insurance bills in Fla are pretty high.*** I have a friend with dock space for "Adagio" in Hope Sound FLa.* I should head South at least one Winter before fuel hits 10. a gallon or I reach my expiration date.* A side trip to your Place for a few days would be cool.

Happy New Year***** John snd Miri**** "Adagio"*** Toms River* NJ
Old 12-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #35
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Quote:
Baker wrote:

Hey Hollywood, I think it is called an "affliction"!!!!....
The admiral refers to it as my "nauti" habit...

I don't disagree!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:

Good thread. Made me have to think for a while. Let's see....Started with 17' Day Sailor, then 31' sloop, then 30' antique Elco cruiser, then 28' Bayliner cruiser, then 31' sloop, then 45' Nova Scotia wooden ketch, then a 36' Albin trawler, now 40' Egg Harbor flush deck and the 49' MT widebody. OK, certifiably insane. Won't count the little ones, but we all have small sailing dinghies which we have loads of fun with at the marina. Final verdict for me......trawlers rule! Too spoiled with the space to go back full time to sail. Funny though how often our died-in-the-wool sailor friends (all over 40 footers) will be aboard for a local cruise and eventually say, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...maybe one day we'll switch over to this. Truth be told around here, sailing for the past several years has been quite limited and frustrating for the long runs and planned vacations. Seems about 80% of the time they have to motor because lack of wind if they are going to meet their schedules. Have to admit though, some of my best memories were aboard "Sea Witch", the ketch, usually alone (no one else to worry about), but in heavy weather. She could take anything with that Nova Scotia blood in her.

Carl,* Amazing how many boats everyone has had!* Sailing alone is also a fond memory of mine- you are so right about not having to worry about how others are doing.* A little selfish but true.

Happy New Year**** John and Miri* +* "Adagio"
Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #37

Like y'all* plenty of years sailing and owning sail boats, but the Admiral doesn't care much for the 'Cave Effect' John mentioned, and as we have gained a few years we seem to spend more 'in' the boat than 'on' the boat, so they MY makes more sense.* We have so much more room in our 43' power boat than our friends have in their 60' sailboat is't amazing.* We do have a 10' sailing dink on the roof that is a blast though!
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #38
Guru

Your Right,* No one is a big fan of the "Cave Effect".* Trawlers and Sailboats both cruise at a sedate pace. so their owners understand their simularities.* What I am trying to say is most folks with 40knot+* powerboats* would be bored to tears on a trawler. For any length of time.*

Happy New Year**** John and Miri********** "Adagio"** Toms River** NJ
Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #39
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

All this talk about this sailing stuff seems to have struck a warm chord amongst even the most hardcore trawler aficionado!* So, without further ado; I will post a pic that will make you smile. I know it's probably against the reg's, so as the old gal once said "OFF WITH HIS HEAD".* KJ

[img]download.spark?ID=849977&aBID=115492[/img]

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 1st of January 2011 08:39:17 PM
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: -

I crewed on a couple of sailboats in Hawaii--- a 36' Islander and a locally made trimaran. And I crewed for a couple of seasons on a co-workers racing sloop after moving to Seattle. And our GB came with a lovely Montgomery sailing dinghy on the aft cabin. Oh, and I directed a film shoot on the Lady Washington a few years ago.* But that's the extent of my sailing experience.

My wife, on the other hand, has only been out on a sailboat under sail one time.* But her first sailing experience pretty much blows mine and a lot of other people's out of the water.* The first time she got to go sailing was when we were invited out on the Bluenose 2.

(This boat no longer exists at present--- its hull has been fed into a wood chipper.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluenose 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	3959  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote