A trawler owner (in a few days)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He is definitely nor a lurker type. I will be seeing him in a couple of weeks and will let him know. For now, he is in the thrall of the Krogenmonster.

Tomorrow is the day

Tomorrow we drive to Port Ludlow in the morning to pick up the boat. Provided the owner has actually placed the key where he said he was going to, and provided he places the key before tomorrow morning....

It should be about an 8 hour trip back to Gig Harbor. I am excited.

OTOH, Port Ludlow is having the 8th annual FSBO Boat Show and Marine Swap Meet tomorrow. That means that the docks will be full of people and boats who can watch me attempt to take the boat out of a slip for the first time. Nothing like an audience.... :popcorn:

Looks like you will have a great weather day for the trip too!

Tomorrow we drive to Port Ludlow in the morning to pick up the boat. Provided the owner has actually placed the key where he said he was going to, and provided he places the key before tomorrow morning....

OTOH, Port Ludlow is having the 8th annual FSBO Boat Show and Marine Swap Meet tomorrow. That means that the docks will be full of people and boats who can watch me attempt to take the boat out of a slip for the first time. Nothing like an audience.... :popcorn:

Don't be embarrassed to use the bow thruster! Just make sure that you turn it on before you need it (don't ask me how I know!).

Dave - Just be sure to wait till peak tide. You'll never find an up-front low cost slip like in your avatar again. Least we hope not! :facepalm: :rofl:

Happy sailing.... err... motor boating! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember those thrusters time-out and shut off after about 15 minutes. Have a good trip.

Remember those thrusters time-out and shut off after about 15 minutes. Have a good trip.

And they don't work well with weak batteries! On my maiden voyage I found out using the thruster would shut off my plotter when I tried to use it. That was an interesting surprise. Plus the thruster didn't have much thrust. My thruster is wired to the house bank and that bank was old and tired. Obviously a separate thruster battery would be a better setup.

With the new house bank the thruster works well and the batteries seem to hold up well.

Wifey B: YAY YAY YAY :dance::dance::dance::speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:

So how was it? When we bought the Nordic Tug last year, we did the sale in Friday Harbor. We headed south about 13:30, crossed the strait and headed for Pt. Ludlow. When we called them, they had space, so we gave them an ETA. Got there and found out they were having a rendezvous of Perry design sailboats. They gave us a slip assignment, we headed in for my first attempt at docking a powerboat larger that the whaler. Very interesting to say the least. I did remember to turn on the bow thruster. It was still a disaster.
So far, getting out hasn't been as exciting as getting back in ��.

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips. It went great!

Got up to Port Ludlow a bit early, 8:15. The entire South Sound was socked in with fog. Ate breakfast at the resort to kill some time, then spent a couple hours trying to familiarize ourselves with the boat. You the minor things like, how to turn on the electrical system, how to the start the engine, use the head, the typical little details.... This was all stuff that Trevor Brice from North Pacific Yachts went over with me during the survey and see trial but I have a memory like a steel sieve so I had forgotten it all.

The Fog started to clear out in Port Ludlow and even though it was still foggy out in Admiralty Inlet we decided to go. My starboard Nav light is out, so I didn't want to travel in the dark, nor in the Fog so was concerned about leaving both too early or too late.

I did figure out how to start the engine. It took me ten minutes to figure out how to turn on the thrusters (push the power button twice). The slip it was in is nice, but for me the slip looked narrow and the fairway tight. I had to back out of the slip to port and leave to starboard (much easier than the opposite way). I used the stern thruster for a second to counter the prop walk, and the bow thruster once to keep the bow centered. From there it was easy. The boat backed and filled nicely to pivet to starboard in the fairway just like my sailboat does.

The fog was clearing ahead of us, as we left Port Ludlow and we waived to the rock off to port that is in the avatar as we went by. The boat handled great. 1400 rpm gave us 7 kts of quiet cruising at 2 gph.

We pulled into Gig Harbor around 7pm. The wind had really picked up by then and getting into my angled slip was trickier than I had expected. It will take a while to figure out the best way to keep tie her up.

Things I learned:
Pilothouses are even better than I imagined.
Thrusters are a wonderful thing.
Fly bridges aren't evil.
AIS is wonderful (Why didn't I invest in that in my sailboat)
I don't mind being outpaced by a 50' sailboat under sail in 15 kts of wind
quartering wakes from a 350' freighter traveling at 17 knots are "unpleasant".
Engine compartments that seem spacious aren't so much when you fold your 6'2" 220lbs old body into them.

Today's adventure, emptying holding tanks, taking on fuel, and seeing if the dinghy outboard runs.

A stern thruster! Glad to hear you made it alright. Congratulations on the new boat!

Congrats on your delivery. Going from sail to trawler is an amazing experience isn't it?

Time lapse of me leaving the dock.

Yes Britania, it was. My wife and I kept looking at each other and saying what a good decision this was.

Time lapse of me leaving the dock. Taken with old GoPro. Waste 21 seconds of your life.
https://youtu.be/S7QqQb45WHQ

S7QqQb45WHQ

Sorry Dave, been on the Bellingham-Ketchikan Alaska Ferry the past days, Congrats for the final on closing/ownership and the first of many successful voyages.
Quote: The boat handled great. 1400 rpm gave us 7 kts of quiet cruising at 2 gph.Quote:

Aaaaaaaa the peace and quite of 1400 RPM. Nice!!

Al-Ketchikan 28'Marben pocket CRUISER

Congratulations to you both, Dave.
You've done very well.
I saw the Aurora d'Hays in the northern sky last night.

Congratulations!!!! How cool is that!!!!! You will LOVE cruising under power!!! Good luck on your future journeys!!!!

I went on yachtworld, Dave, and I think I see the boat. It's the only "sale pending" NP 43. Might even be off the site by the time I finish writing this.

SHE'S FREAKIN' GORGEOUS!!!:smitten:

I went on yachtworld, Dave, and I think I see the boat. It's the only "sale pending" NP 43. Might even be off the site by the time I finish writing this.

SHE'S FREAKIN' GORGEOUS!!!:smitten:

Yup. I have come to think so as well. Here is the Yachtworld listing

I spent most of the day on the boat. We did some more exploring of the boat, took it to pump the holding tank, cleaned up the topsides since the pollen is falling heavy hear. We sanitized one water tank, rinsed it, and filled it. Still have the other tank to do.

Tomorrow we hope to go out for a few days around the South Sound and learn more about the boat. We will also fill it with fuel. :eek:

Yes Britania, it was. My wife and I kept looking at each other and saying what a good decision this was.

Time lapse of me leaving the dock. Taken with old GoPro. Waste 21 seconds of your life.
https://youtu.be/S7QqQb45WHQ

S7QqQb45WHQ

Yes, you'll find for starters you yell at each other a lot less. Maybe not at all..?
By the way, what anchor do you have to use until you get one those...you knowaddimean...

Yup. I have come to think so as well. Here is the Yachtworld listing

One of my "new" favorite boats! Such a fine beauty... Congrats, Dave!!

Wirth cruise stated at 8 knots... I bet if you did 6.5 to 7.25 knots your nmpg would be 33 to 50 percent improved. Maybe in the 2 + nmpg range. Can't beat that mileage with a beauty such as this boat!

And, she'll hit 12 knots to get out of harms way... nice power package. :thumb:

dhays; said:
Tomorrow we hope to go out for a few days around the South Sound and learn more about the boat. We will also fill it with fuel. :eek:
Dave, this has been a really fun thread to follow. Nothing to memorize, nothing to copy, paste and stash in a folder I will lose track of and nothing to explode into an off topic debate.

Just fun to travel through the process with you...I envy you.

From a selfish perspective, because I am an admitted diesel dummy, I hope you continue the thread and take us along on all your new little discoveries, as you transition from 40 to near 400 HP.

It looks like some typical April weather, with a gentle mix of everything but snow, to get you started on your new lifestyle. "Hmmm...where to hang the wet gear in the PH???"

Enjoy every adventure.

Is "Kinship" your chosen name or that of the PO?

Wifey B: We're all voyeurs, loving to watch you lose your powerboat virginity. :D

It does make us feel good to see you enjoying your first time.

Change is good when one embraces it fully, and you certainly have. :)

Wifey B: We're all voyeurs, loving to watch you lose your powerboat virginity. :D

It does make us feel good to see you enjoying your first time.

Change is good when one embraces it fully, and you certainly have. :)
Ah, yes, I love the enthusiasm of yute.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom