trawler or motor yacht?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: I never liked calling it cockpit anyway as I'm always afraid there will be roosters fighting there. :ermm:

Is iit a cockpit if only females are on the boat?

First off, my last boat and my current one both had placards on them certifying them as yachts. It was truly a yacht certification placard by the NMMA. Now I will still never refer to it as such. Bust just saying.....

With that said, I do believe there are yachts out there. My definition of a yacht is a boat that you can land a helicopter on.....THEN.....it is a yacht!!!

John US Navy destroyers all have heiloports ....

Not very yachty

Yacht is over 34'. Has been for decades, why is this a discussion?.

Cockpit is the Anglo variation of the area where to the Coxswain (aka boat driver) resides. It has nothing to do with what you think it does.

Well comander you have just comanded.

But ....many preceeding posts have established many different ideas about what a yacht is. And there will be as many long after this thread is over.

I myself have rejected your opinion and you have rejected mine. Next ....

Last edited:
Wifey B: Ooops......mine is just a boat. :)

And I have a question. Why is the cockpit on a plane in the front and on a boat in the back? :confused:

Pilots have shorter instruments.

Wood belongs in the interior, not outside.

Attachments

• radiated mark.jpg
    radiated mark.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 24
First off, my last boat and my current one both had placards on them certifying them as yachts. It was truly a yacht certification placard by the NMMA. Now I will still never refer to it as such. Bust just saying.....

With that said, I do believe there are yachts out there. My definition of a yacht is a boat that you can land a helicopter on.....THEN.....it is a yacht!!!

That's because NMMA which is a voluntary manufacturers association calls anything over 26' a Yacht and puts a Yacht Certification Plate on them. This is because the American Boat and Yacht Council has different rules for boats under vs. boats over 26'.

Well comander you have just comanded.

But ....many preceeding posts have established many different ideas about what a yacht is. And there will be as many long after this thread is over.

I myself have rejected your opinion and you have rejected mine. Next ....

Wifey B: Oh boy, a Nomad fight. Didn't know until just now we had two Nomads aboard. :eek:

Oh man what am I to do now? :facepalm: And this is only about a third of it.
There are a ton of wood boats still plowing around out there.

Attachments

• 8591CDCB-B0ED-4A19-A71F-721E9F79B27E.jpg
    8591CDCB-B0ED-4A19-A71F-721E9F79B27E.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
This is because the American Boat and Yacht Council has different rules for boats under vs. boats over 26'.

Are there not rules of the USCG that use 26 feet as a defining point?

Can someone please tell me if the Jefferson 42 SE Sundeck is a trawler or a motor yacht and what is the difference between the two?
Thanks
From more practical approach imo might be first cruising plan, draw, air draft and keel config. Also important what bottoms out first keel or running gear.

There are boats that have no flat planing hull surfaces that exceed hull speed considerably. Old sub chaser’s do come to mind.
But they have some lengthly straight lines aft and a well submerged transom. And lots of power.

In normal convo, i call mine just a boat, but when I need to give ppl a visual of what it is; our last boat was a trawler and this boat in a motoryacht. It seems to just clear the air more easily.

Attachments

• SD At Anchor 3.jpg
    SD At Anchor 3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 21
There are boats that have no flat planing hull surfaces that exceed hull speed considerably. Old sub chaser’s do come to mind.
But they have some lengthly straight lines aft and a well submerged transom. And lots of power.

You're on the wrong thread Eric....;)

Ben. As a kid the expression was either for show or for go.

I hate brightwork too but not on your boat, I pay to have it done because it’s easier.

:thumb:

This helps me because I have owned smaller cruisers all of my life. And I have not been familiar with the different terms used for larger craft

Curious about the statement of the vessel pictured is too small to be a yacht.

Some time ago I insured a 27' Express Cruiser (not my current one) with Boat US. They gave me a discount or required (don't remember from back then - early 90's) if the boat was documented. I said OK but isn't it too small? (And I trailered it around the PNW.) They said it meets the definition of having 5 tons. At the time I thought this isn't any yacht but signed the papers and paid the fee to get my insurance lowered.

How big does a boat have to be to be a yacht?

From my understanding, there is no size limit to a boat being a yacht. It's all about how fanciful the finish work is. I read a book many years ago about yachts that waswrote on the early 1900s and they were calling well finished sailboats around 16-20 feet yachts and even some smaller 20ish feet cruisers.

I went and looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht

Wikipedia said:
A yacht /jɒt/ is a watercraft used for pleasure or sports.[1] The term originates from the Dutch word jacht (which means "hunt"), and was originally referencing light fast sailing vessels that the Dutch Republic navy used to pursue pirates and other transgressors around and into the shallow waters of the Low Countries. The yacht was popularized by Charles II of England as a pleasure or recreation vessel following his restoration in 1660.
Today's yachts differ from other vessels by their leisure purpose. A yacht is any sail or power vessel used for pleasure, cruising or racing. A yacht does not have to have luxury accommodations to be a yacht, in fact many racing yachts are stripped out vessels with the minimum of accommodations. The term 'sailboat' is sometimes used in America to differentiate sail from powerboat. See also 'yachting'. There are currently about 6,500 yacht over 24m on the market.[2]
Charter yachts are a subset of yachts used for pleasure, cruising or racing, but run as a business for profit. Ownership can be private or corporate. The paid crews of these vessels call themselves 'yachties'.
Yacht lengths normally range from 10 metres (33 ft) up to dozens of meters (hundreds of feet). A luxury craft smaller than 12 metres (39 ft) is more commonly called a cabin cruiser or simply a cruiser. A superyacht generally refers to any yacht (sail or power) above 24 m (79 ft) and a megayacht generally refers to any yacht over 50 metres (164 ft).

That’s kind-of like the “all pleasure boats are yachts” definition.

In reality there are few boats called yachts so I’m think’in a yacht will need to be very special.

So I’m not with Wikapedia on this one.

And this is TF so no sailboat consideration need be made.

Last edited:
We don't think of Badger as a trawler or yacht, but more of a "Waterborne Basecamp to Onshore Adventures"

"Yacht" was, (and still is in our mind) a pleasure vessel over 34'. For our prior boat, a 40+' sailboat, we just went with S/V.

Nowadays with our current boat we displace just under 70,000lb, don't fit in most slips, and have to plan dock approaches many possibilities in advance because there is no such thing as pushing this boat around by hand. We are not fancy or pretentious in the slightest. But for the amount of work involved in moving this barge around, we claim the title Motor "Yacht".

I was looking forward to Wifey B`s response to that.

Now,what`s the authoritative source for Nomad`s ">34ft it`s an MY"

There is none. There is a reference to the NMMA and ABYC as to what a yacht is and they say 26 feet. I am not saying I agree. I am just saying they have something in writing....and also something to put on a placard that has been on my last two boats. There is also USCG rules that delineate below 26 feet and above. One of those being the wearing of life jackets on kids 12 and under. If they are on a boat that is 26 feet or larger they do not have to wear them if they are down below. Your (US)state rules may vary!

It looks something like this...

Attachments

• img10830174648.jpg
    img10830174648.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 112
There is none. There is a reference to the NMMA and ABYC as to what a yacht is and they say 26 feet. I am not saying I agree. I am just saying they have something in writing....and also something to put on a placard that has been on my last two boats. There is also USCG rules that delineate below 26 feet and above. One of those being the wearing of life jackets on kids 12 and under. If they are on a boat that is 26 feet or larger they do not have to wear them if they are down below. Your (US)state rules may vary!

Yes, CG distinguishes requirements, but I am not aware of them using the term "Yacht" in doing so. Perhaps they do somewhere I haven't seen.

Wifey B: I was in the car on the way home from SC and not paying attention. However, I will go on record as saying I like wood.

Not so much soft wood...

like Pine and Cedar,

but hard wood

like Oak and Maple and Cherry and Mahogany and, yes, Teak. :)

Back
Top Bottom