Old 09-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #1

Trawler Magazines?

What good trawler magazines are out there? I feel our community doesn’t have anything like “sail” for example. But I stand corrected if you can point me in the right direction. I want to subscribe for personal reasons and for commercial reasons to advertise our Jet-Thruster products.

XCELSIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Passagemaker is about it.

I get more out of TF than any magazine.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
There are not a lot left. Magazines have been on the decline for years.

Passagemaker
Yachting
Power & Motoryacht
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. X. As mentioned, Passagemaker is about the only one I know of. Many moons ago when it was first started by Bill Pantaloons it was a good publication directed toward the "average" owner. Not terribly pretentious and full of interesting articles that I, for one, appreciated.

MY opinion only:

Since being taken over by a major publishing house, PMM has become a paid advertising platform geared toward the "rich and famous". Well, maybe not so much the famous but NOT to boaters like myself (NOT rich either).

At it's onset, there were at least one or two articles about repairs and/or modifications that could be undertaken by boaters not unlike a lot of TF members. Articles about owners and boats doing boating "stuff".

I qualify the above statements with the disclaimer that I have not opened an issue of PMM for a long time and it may have changed...

YMMV
Old 09-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. X. As mentioned, Passagemaker is about the only one I know of. Many moons ago when it was first started by Bill Pantaloons it was a good publication directed toward the "average" owner. Not terribly pretentious and full of interesting articles that I, for one, appreciated.

MY opinion only:

Since being taken over by a major publishing house, PMM has become a paid advertising platform geared toward the "rich and famous". Well, maybe not so much the famous but NOT to boaters like myself (NOT rich either).

At it's onset, there were at least one or two articles about repairs and/or modifications that could be undertaken by boaters not unlike a lot of TF members. Articles about owners and boats doing boating "stuff".

I qualify the above statements with the disclaimer that I have not opened an issue of PMM for a long time and it may have changed...

YMMV

+1. PMM used to be great. Now it is ok but no longer great.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I still get Passagmaker-I'm not sure how as I haven't paid for it in at least 5 years-and I would second RTF's assessment. Every new boat featured is north of a million dollars, many of them well north, which is OK, I guess, it just doesn't interest me. There is generally one good maintenance/upgrade article per month and an interesting destination story about every other month. Other than that, it's not worth much. If they asked me to pay for a subscription I wouldn't.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
R. T., you explained it well. The trick in the magazine world is to have a pretty cover and just enough editorial content to attract readers. Readers attract advertisers to the mag. PMM has always been a relatively expensive boating magazine for subscribers. When Bill sold and retired it changed the whole character of the mag. When I caught the new drift in direction I no longer subscribed.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
You could try the various regional mags like soundings, sea and others. Ad rates will be lower......
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
A huge problem with magazines is if you believe the articles are witten by experts with no counterpoint and their words are gospel.some are much better than others, but most still tote the "best practices" line with no exception.

While they contain good info, they don't cover all of a subject and there's no rebuttle.

So read at your own risk.

Once fully immersed in the boating lifestyle as a liveaboard and commercial operators, I virtually gave up magazines and boat shows when the internet came around.

All the info you need is out there, just not as many pretty pictures....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

MY opinion only:

YMMV
I agree with you and thank you for eloquently describing what many of us are feeling. That's exactly what 'sail' magazine is doing. Other than being a marketing tool to the nouveau riche and documenting every ocean race there is under the sun, it really offers very little hands-on and down to earth (sea) information. We looked into advertising our Jet-Thruster products and "sail" is asking $50,000 for a half page ad over six months. That is ludicrous! It surely explains why we keep getting the magazine for free, even without subscriptions. They have to justify high numbers of readers, otherwise who in their right mind would spend that kind of money on advertising? Same as the Miami Boat Show. We had a booth there last February and spent more than $15,000 to fill a space at the end of a dead isle - but being there you have to! I get it - and yet I don't. I feel we are feeding a machine of corporate wealth distribution for a handful of executives who get to travel all over the world to review boats and products that the masses cannot afford, all the while slurping champagne from crystal goblets.
XCELSIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
While not aimed at trawlers, I think one publication that has a lot of useful information for the “average” boat owner would be Practical Sailor.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #12
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
The Boat US magazine that arrives is as good as any / better than most as far as useful information is concerned. My 2 cents.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
I still get Passagmaker-I'm not sure how as I haven't paid for it in at least 5 years
Do you go to a major Boat Show on a yearly basis? Many, such as the New England Boat Show in Boston, give you a yearly subscription from a choice of a handful of subscriptions as part of the admission ticket. That is how I usually get Passagemaker or Yachting.

It's not lost on me that these are cleverly disguised print ads with a handful of articles and columns sprinkled in to justify a newstand price.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Another in agreement with the comments on PassageMaker, though I still subscribe and we both still read it cover to cover.

I believe it took the biggest hit when Steve D'Antonio left to focus on his own business. His fix-it and safety articles were beyond excellent.

BTW, I have all of mine on a shelf in my home office, going from left to right by date. The ones on the left are pretty thick, but they get progressively thinner. I just grabbed one at random and it was 224 pages. The latest is 130!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:03 AM   #15
FF
Guru

I have a collection of PM from the coveted #1 on up for perhaps 100 or 200 issues.

These were useful as information on the different boats , and covered topics like owner repairs and upgrades.

However many there are (there in FL I am not) if you take them all a buck each , plus postage will get a great library. I paid a buck each a number of years ago.

If new, new ,new, is your interest , these early PM will be of no use.

The collection stops a few years ago when PM became useless as a resource for folks with modest older boats..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I read half a dozen or so boating magazines. Or browse through would be a better term. There always seems to be a good nugget or two hidden amongst the advertising and new boat non critical summaries. But gosh I find the over the top push for throwing out my perfectly good instrumentation for a new gizmo nauseating.

I do believe car magazines have been derisive enough to create meaningful change in that industry, not so boating magazines. Like coffee filters, my boating mags go in the trash after the John rack becomes full.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #17
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Xcelcior,

While not helping with your direct question, have you targeted the commercial folks?

Boats and Harbors and Trade Only Today come to mind.

Best Wishes
Old 09-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #18

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Pacific Yachting is a Canadian publication that serves Puget Sound / Salish Sea cruisers. Articles and boat reviews are more aligned with my budget and interests than Passage Maker, but I still read that too.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:04 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCELSIOR View Post
What good trawler magazines are out there?.... I want to subscribe for personal reasons and for commercial reasons to advertise our Jet-Thruster products.
You might want to tell TF more about your Jet-Thruster,there is thruster interest on TF.
May involve becoming a commercial member but a Mod/Site Team member could help you there if appropriate.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:46 AM   #20
FF
Guru

Today I consider pro boat builder the best mag to read .

No picture spreads of saloon cushions , but great articles on modern boat design /construction and repair.

proboat.com - Professional BoatBuilder Magazine

www.proboat.com

A start-up boat company based in Newport, Rhode Island, aims to compete with the growing number of luxury sport boats in the 35‘–65‘ (10.7m–19.8m) range. As examples of this genre,… Read more »

• Subscribe Professional BoatBuilder Subscriptions. Professional...
  • Classifieds Submit a Classified Ad. Professional BoatBuilder is written...
  • Current Issue Current Issue October/November 2018 — Table of Contents. On...
  • Construction Designer/Builder Dave Sintes: 1947–2016 By Paul Lazarus |...
  • Digital Issue View Sample Digital Issue The digital version is fully...
  • Charles Palamé This article is a companion piece to, and continuation of...

FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magazines, thruster, trawler