Trawler fest 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lenonce

Vessel Name
Taka Taka
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Hi everybody!
Have you some inormation about a trawler fest in 2019?

In passagemaker magazine, there's no date proposed: it's strange, isn'it?

The dates for the 2018 ones were announced in January.

Trawlerfest 2019

The dates for the 2019 Trawlerfest in Stuart are now listed as March 5-9.

I am new to boating [have had a 1988 Trojan 12M for 3 years] and interested in buying a trawler to make the Great Loop. Some questions for those who have more experience and/or have attended boat shows:
How many new and used 'trawlers' are typically available at these TrawlerFest Shows for viewing? Will any be 'on sale'?
Does the 'Fest' offer a better opportunity to see primarily trawlers and chat w/ Looper boaters than attending a bigger show like the Miami International Boat Show? If I only have time to go to one of these, which would be recommended [given we are looking for a 'trawler' and want to do the Loop]?
Any information anyone can provide will be much appreciated.
Rob
1988 Trojan 12M
Southern Cross

I am planning on showing our new built North Pacific 45 at the show! See you at the show [emoji41]

I listed my previous boat with a broker who took it to TrawlerFest in the PNW. I paid the show fee (forget, think it was like $1,800) out of my pocket. Huge interest, ended up closing on an offer that was slightly OVER asking price - first time EVER for my broker. So I’m going out on a limb here and guessing that buying at that show with dozens of active trawler buyers looking at it is not the best time and place for getting a huge discount. Travel to a remote location in the dead of winter to view a boat that’s been listed a long time and you might get get lucky.

The Trawler Fest has become mostly a new boat show. In the old days before Passagemaker Magazine was bought by a big conglomerate, the show was put on for the trawler owners and the readers of the magazine. Most of the attendees came by boat and those that wanted would even open their boats to the public. Now days you will see mostly boats in the $1,000,000 + range.

It is another opportunity to see a multitude of boats of difference sizes and types—both new and used. You can get on all the boats that are there- far as I know the boats are open. Whether you are in the beginning or towards the end of a boat decision there is always something to be learned. Comparing layouts, Hull types, even different dingy types that are used and their placements. It is always informative and interesting to talk to other boating people and get their perspectives. In our journey of buying a boat-which in itself was fun— We went to every boat show and Trawler Fest our schedule allowed,read everything we could , searched You Tube, etc.. Not every event will be perfect or spot on but always look for opportunities to see boats and talk to folks— eventually you will narrow your search and move forward- [emoji41]

Thanks to those who replied. We have read the advice offered in an earlier Forum thread and want to research as much as possible before buying another boat - we definitely are interested in a 'trawler' with dual helm, easier access than we currently have, with 360 degree access to cleats, etc. Really appreciate the previous contributions on what to do BEFORE buying another boat - if I knew then, what I know now...!
Will likely now attend the TrawlerFest in Stuart for the seminars and opportunity to walk around some true trawlers and talk w/ their boaters - the 45' North Pacific sounds like a great boat [but likely outside our price range].

Rob
'88 Trojan 12M

Thanks to those who replied. We have read the advice offered in an earlier Forum thread and want to research as much as possible before buying another boat - we definitely are interested in a 'trawler' with dual helm, easier access than we currently have, with 360 degree access to cleats, etc. Really appreciate the previous contributions on what to do BEFORE buying another boat - if I knew then, what I know now...!
Will likely now attend the TrawlerFest in Stuart for the seminars and opportunity to walk around some true trawlers and talk w/ their boaters - the 45' North Pacific sounds like a great boat [but likely outside our price range].

Rob
'88 Trojan 12M

We attended the Stuart Trawler Fest last year specifically to look at boats and we extremely disappointed at how few boats were there both new and used, although most were new and over 40 ft. and mega $$ for me at least. Also relatively no vendors for other stuff. If you want seminars this is likely a good fit but to look at boats I would look elsewhere IMHO.

I've been to two Trawler Fests in Florida, Riviera Beach & Stuart, not impressed. Been to one Trawler Fest in Seattle and found it to be much better. I suspect the ones in the northeast are better than Florida's as well...

The seminars being offered in Stuart this year look impressive so will go for the learning experience if nothing else.
Thanks.

If that Trojan 12M is a diesel, I might consider that for looping over the trawler unless you are going much larger or for a multi year loop.

While trawlers are a specific niche, their capabilities are pretty far and wide. Not all are necessarily grand long distance voyagers.

I may have missed your other threads, but think long and hard for just switching loop boats.

Appreciate the comment from 'Freedom'. While our Trojan is a great boat, its limitations are easy access [ladder required for health reasons], lack of easy access to aft cleats for docking, and climate control on the fly bridge during the summer heat. We hope to find a trawler which will offer remedies to those comfort and safety limitations. If we weren't considering the Loop, wouldn't be looking for a different boat.

Rob
I concur with PSneeld. Been on the same waters as you will do on loop and never worried about AC on the bridge when cruising. What engines in the 12M? Great boat IMHO. Spent time on one in St Louis. Worked fine there. Maybe a newer Sport Fish design as an alternative?

If that Trojan 12M is a diesel, I might consider that for looping over the trawler unless you are going much larger or for a multi year loop.

I'd at least ask myself what is it I'm looking for in a loop boat that the Trojan doesn't have?

Appreciate the comment from 'Freedom'. While our Trojan is a great boat, its limitations are easy access [ladder required for health reasons], lack of easy access to aft cleats for docking, and climate control on the fly bridge during the summer heat. We hope to find a trawler which will offer remedies to those comfort and safety limitations. If we weren't considering the Loop, wouldn't be looking for a different boat.

Florence SC or AL or another Florence? Trying to get a picture of what is different about the loop vs your boating you've been doing. I'd think all three things you mention are the same whether looping or not.

As to the need for easy access, that certainly makes sense. As to the aft cleats, I see a couple of easy solutions in adding some cleats or even capstan's. As to climate control on the fly bridge, only you can say whether it's necessary or not, but if you feel it is, you might look at the cost of adding it to your current boat.

The Trojan is a good boat [twin diesel cat 3208TA; we have completely overhauled interior and most of mechanical/heating/electronics] in Florence, AL; it would be fine on the Loop - if we were younger and more agile!
To respond to your specific questions: can't add more cleats due to fuel tanks positions; and still don't have easy and safe access to stern cleats; cost to hard top fly bridge and run a/c not insignificant; but, most importantly, our deck is too high for easy/safe jump to dock.
Therefore, for our needs, we will find a boat w/ complete walkaround access to all sides/cleats, etc; w/ a walk on, or at least only an easy step up, access from the dock; and w/ a protected salon [dual] helm, to keep us more comfortable, dry, and able to cruise in 'too hot' or 'too cold/wet' wx if need be. We have decided there's no point [for us at least] in travelling 6-12 mo. on the water unless we can be somewhat relaxed and enjoy it - which these proposed criteria would likely enable us to do better.
Appreciate everyone's comments.

You will see my boat at the Stuart show, a 36' kadey krogen manatee this week.
And she is beautiful, roomy, nicely equipped.

Selling our Kadey Krogen because,
Wife won't let me move her to Key West and place her at Garrison Bight houseboat row.
Wife won't let me move her to Marsh Harbor jib room marina due to travel costs by air.
Hate cold weather and cruising north although made two trips to Maryland.
Nothing wrong with boat and will surly miss her.

Wife won't let me move her to Key West and place her at Garrison Bight houseboat row.
Wife won't let me move her to Marsh Harbor jib room marina due to travel costs by air.

Wifey B: I missed what was wrong with keeping it at Stuart. :confused:

She sits nice and comfy behind my house on Willoughby Creek. Another issue is we have been cruising for 12years on several boats and have neglected our home which needs a redo badly, a full year of hard labor. Kindly,cpt.craig

We are here and the inventory of trawlers is impressive- American Tug, North Pacific,Kadey Krogen, Fleming, Norhaven,Helmsman, Beneteau Swift, and others - if these are the kind of trawlers you are interested in - it would be worth your while to see them all assembled together [emoji41]

Oh man, there is a kadey krogen manatee for sale at the show, only the best boat man ever made.

Have U sold your Manatee as yet?
My husband & I R considering this boat, but haven't found one that we like as yet.
Any additional info U could share would B most appreciated!

Last edited:
Have U sold your Manatee as yet?
My husband & I R considering this boat, but haven't found one that we like as yet.
Any additional info U could share would B most appreciated!

Kit Kat, is your keyboard broken?

:)

No, not yet although lots of interest. Having second thoughts. She was a big hit at the Stuart Trawler fest and changed the minds of many looking to buy newer trawlers that are nice but very uncomfortable, Krogens are very liveable and mine is in the top 10 of Manatees. She is going into the yard this week for a brand new powerful bow thruster.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom