Old 12-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #1
Guru

"Trawler" as defined by Yachtworld...

I read a comment this morning where someone almost apologized for their boat being not very trawler like.
Hmmm......

While we all obviously have something that comes to mind when the word trawler is uttered, I began to wonder what is considered acceptable outside the confines of this forum and some of its very opinionated participants.

I love poking around in Yachtworld and frequently search for boats by brand. Sometimes I search by keyword if I am looking for a broader spectrum of boats. This can generate a lot of results though, so typically, I add more restrictions to my searches so as to not be overwhelmed.

Anyway, I searched for "trawler" in 35' to 40' this morning and wow! There where something like 20 pages of results of very interesting looking "trawlers".
While it is a slightly overwhelming sample to look at in detail, a quick scan indicates that the rest of the world considers the term to include a wide range of designs... Yes, I understand that the rest of the world consists of manufacturers and their marketing departments, brokers and owners who are trying to cast a wide net but clearly, the definition is loosely defined as... a boat!

Lots of fun poking in that list this morning!
Enjoy your trawler!
Bruce

Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:52 AM   #2
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Ahh yes the "trawler". Funny story. When I was in the market for a "big" boat I went to my local yacht broker. After showing me various "speed" boats, I said, this really isn't what I was looking for. I wanted something with more outside space, more cabin space and more creature comforts, etc. He said, " I have a trawler that needs some work". I said, "A WHAT? Do I look like a trawler person?" All I could picture was the trawlers out in the ocean with the big shrimp nets!! LOL! I now own a beautiful Marine trader trawler. It took a LOT of hard work and general maintenance, but I made her my own.

Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:18 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Ahh yes the "trawler". Funny story. When I was in the market for a "big" boat I went to my local yacht broker. After showing me various "speed" boats, I said, this really isn't what I was looking for. I wanted something with more outside space, more cabin space and more creature comforts, etc. He said, " I have a trawler that needs some work". I said, "A WHAT? Do I look like a trawler person?" All I could picture was the trawlers out in the ocean with the big shrimp nets!! LOL! I now own a beautiful Marine trader trawler. It took a LOT of hard work and general maintenance, but I made her my own.

Ah yes, one of the things we felt we needed coming from a sailboat was outside space. It is the reason we insisted on the flybridge.
Outside is good.
Bruce
Old 12-30-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I'm not a strict matter, but it is a purely fishing with a long term network and pulled this wager is the name of the trawling vessel and which carries out this is a trawler. everything else is marketing the modern boats.

all the others are called trawlers, nothing to do with trawl fishing! my perspective on the world from here Nord EU

official trawler boats without fish, and fully loaded

North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
I'm not a strict matter, but it is a purely fishing with a long term network and pulled this wager is the name of the trawling vessel and which carries out this is a trawler. everything else is marketing the modern boats.

all the others are called trawlers, nothing to do with trawl fishing! my perspective on the world from here Nord EU

official trawler boats without fish, and fully loaded

That thing looks it was designed by a child of "An old woman who lived in a shoe"!
Bruce
Old 12-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
Guru

And this is very personality and nice old fich trawler conversion pleasure trawler

Sale site
Muu merkki Ent.troolari muu vene - Raasepori - Nettivene
Old 12-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
That thing looks it was designed by a child of "An old woman who lived in a shoe"!
Bruce

bring personal linen steel in the bow visor is for winter fishing. Water beats the bow and begins to freeze, that visor helps Stability of the ship when the ice does not produce the weight of the bow.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
There is a fairly extensive thread dealing with just this topic. Pretty well everyone had an "opinion" and the subject was beaten to death AT THAT TIME (saw your post Mr. NW). Maybe another member can put you onto it.
I am STILL of the opinion the main living area should be called the saloon! Salon is a hair dressing establishment...
Old 12-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RT,
Appearently not "beaten to death" as here it is .....

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #10
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post

Bruce

Me thinks she might have some stability issues, loaded and in unfavourable seas.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
I am STILL of the opinion the main living area should be called the saloon! Salon is a hair dressing establishment...
Wifey B: And a saloon is a drinking establishment.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #12
Guru

Like it or not the term trawler gets rec. boaters attention on the net or re; boat sales. The term though meaningless as commonly used for recreational boats works on peoples imagination and dreams. I don't know maybe shrimper might also work. I am certain Lobster boat works. I think down under they have something like Cray boats. I think most on this site have power boats capable of cruising. I don't know would the power boat forum worked?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Like it or not the term trawler gets rec. boaters attention on the net or re; boat sales. The term though meaningless as commonly used for recreational boats works on peoples imagination and dreams. I don't know maybe shrimper might also work. I am certain Lobster boat works. I think down under they have something like Cray boats. I think most on this site have power boats capable of cruising. I don't know would the power boat forum worked?
I think this forum is appropriately named because I find "Trawler Forum" as a forum using the term to denote a type of cruising. We're not the bass boat forum, not the performance boat forum with Cigarettes and Fountains. We're people who long for time on the water going to different places, not day cruisers. We don't own a "trawler", not even by stretching the definition. However, we do a lot of cruising and we go to places others here do as well. We have more in common with other boaters here than we do on other forums.

Trawler works in marketing because it denotes a boat that can be used for the type cruising people here do.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #14
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Be careful... Marin may jump into this new "Trawler" debate...

Some here know of whom I speak!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #15
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
And this is very personality and nice old fich trawler conversion pleasure trawler

Sale site
Muu merkki Ent.troolari muu vene - Raasepori - Nettivene
SOLD! Will they deliver to Tacoma?
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #16

City: Seattle and Blaine
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
I have found a way to avoid this term trawler since my most recent boat purchase. I never really did like describing Klee Wyck as a trawler because I didn't know what that was and based on this and other threads like it, it seems like I was not alone.
Turns out both of my boats are in fact kotters and a search of that term on YW or google will bring up a pretty narrow range of hull and house forms. Seems like even brokers know what a kotter is.

Since there seems to be no kotter forum, and even if there was the people wouldn't be as cool as they are on Trawler forum, I am staying here.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
I have found a way to avoid this term trawler since my most recent boat purchase. I never really did like describing Klee Wyck as a trawler because I didn't know what that was and based on this and other threads like it, it seems like I was not alone.
Turns out both of my boats are in fact kotters and a search of that term on YW or google will bring up a pretty narrow range of hull and house forms. Seems like even brokers know what a kotter is.

Since there seems to be no kotter forum, and even if there was the people wouldn't be as cool as they are on Trawler forum, I am staying here.
Wifey B: I had to google, "Kotter." My first time hearing it. Now I know though, it's a form of zeilschip. I like the synonym "kustwachter".
Old 12-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #18
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
//Kotter?//

Yeah. First few hits gave me Gabe Kaplan, but now I want one!
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Trawler (rec) is simply a heavy cruiser.

You can make it more complicated but "heavy cruiser" bout sums it up.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #20
Guru

Versatile Trawlers

Is a real fishing trawler still a trawler when at Christmas, it collects 600kg of "cargo" from a vessel from South America, transports it to a large inflatable which brings it ashore? All under the watchful eyes of the law, in the sleepy village of Brooklyn NSW state,where I moor.

BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote