Old 06-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #1

Trawler Choices need help

Sorry for the double post. This is where I meant to post this.

Gang

Looking at 2 possible choices of trawlers. The 42 Hatteras LRC mark 1 or 2 and the 39 Mainship trawler. The boat will be mostly for florida and Bahamma cruising with no more than 4 aboard most of the time. Mainship I'm looking at has 2 Yanmars engines and the Hatteras has DD. I know the fit and finish is nicer on the Hatteras and*you pay for of course.* The Mainship has the*ability to go a bit faster if you need to. I'm looking at year models between 79 and 82 for both. Anyone with experience on either care to chime in would be appreciated.*

Thanks
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
RE: Trawler Choices need help

Presuming that you're speaking of boats in similar conditions, I've got nothing against Mainship, but the Hatteras LRC is a tank, and a very capable boat. *Of course, it's also a full displacement boat rather than the so-called semi-planing style of the Mainship, so the sacrifice is speed. *I suppose having the extra umph to make a quick duck inside in bad weather, making a distant anchorage, or even a hasty Gulf Stream crossing is Mainship's forte, but if I got caught outside, no contest.....Hatt LRC. *
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
FF
Guru

no contest.....Hatt LRC.

YES!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #4

Guys

I should have added that my budget is around 150k. That being said the Hatteras LRC in that price range are the 79-82 models and the Mainships in the 87-89 year models.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

At $120k you can get a 1998 Mainship 390 trawler. The hatt LRC is a great boat but do you need that capable of a boat? If just coastal cruising and light island hopping I'd much rather have a more modern/updated coastal cruiser than a very old LRC- you will be fighting old age on all systems. If you are traveling to south america or mexico and stuff then that is a different matter.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
If just coastal cruising and light island hopping I'd much rather have a more modern/updated coastal cruiser than a very old LRC........
******* That pretty much sums up my philosophy on boat selection.

****** For coastal cruising you don't need a battle ship! Mainship has been providing quality

******* trawlers for years at affordable prices.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #7

It's a tough one. You can certainly find older boats in*better*condition with updated systems than newer ones so although age is a factor it is not a show stopper with an older model.*A couple of the Hats out there for sale in the 150k range have*updated electronics and appliances and newish or rebuilt stabilizers. Do i need all*that...short answer no...would it be cool to have Hat name...resale value...solid hull with stabs...yes it would...I don't have silly money but some of these Hat owners updated their boats really nice and spared no expense only to move into a bigger*Hat shorty afterwards. Their loss*and my gain kinda thing and they could care less.*So I was hoping to hear more negative stuff*on the Mainship i guess to talk me out of a older hat for more money but alas the 39 mainships for around 120k seem to have a decent reputation.*
Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
FF
Guru

79-82 models and the Mainships in the 87-89 year models.

AS boats get older ,robustness is a factor.

Newer frequently equals thinner structure less thickness (which in GRP is stiffness) ,

The USCG standards are heavy , so the boat is stiff enough to resist local cracking.

All the toys crap out , there is always a "newer" autopilot , ssb /vhf, TV antenna or radar display or oven.

So hull age is seldom related to the toy bill.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

What Model Mainship are we talking about.....you said 87-89 with Yanmars??? Doesn't sound right. Now if you meant 97-99 then I understand. I will echo what everybody else said. Also, what is your boating experience? If you can get into a nicely updated Hatteras and get on board and truly visualize being able to maintain the systems, then I would lean towards the Hatt. I am a big Mainship fan....I own one. And I have nothing against them. I think strictly speaking of money, the Hatt has already depreciated and the Mainship still has some devaluing to do(if we are talking about the late 90s 390s). Also, the Hatt has a lot more room although it is "just" 3 feet longer. Technically, the 390 is really a 35ft boat with a 4ft swim platform. Albin(it's main competitor at the time) started including swim platform in the length of their boats and then Mainship did as well. WHich is why the earlier ones are called 350s and you will see them referred to as 350/390....same boat. If I were cruising, I would get the LRC. For a weekend boat, I would get the 350/390. That is just me. I am quite fond of both boats for different reasons.

PS(edit)...I just searched YW for 87-89 diesel powered Mainships at 35-39 feet.....no such animal so I am assuming we are talking about late 90s Mainships instead of late 80s.....

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 01:48:56 PM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Baker wrote:
What Model Mainship are we talking about.....you said 87-89 with Yanmars??? Doesn't sound right. Now if you meant 97-99 then I understand. I will echo what everybody else said. Also, what is your boating experience? If you can get into a nicely updated Hatteras and get on board and truly visualize being able to maintain the systems, then I would lean towards the Hatt. I am a big Mainship fan....I own one. And I have nothing against them. I think strictly speaking of money, the Hatt has already depreciated and the Mainship still has some devaluing to do(if we are talking about the late 90s 390s). Also, the Hatt has a lot more room although it is "just" 3 feet longer. Technically, the 390 is really a 35ft boat with a 4ft swim platform. Albin(it's main competitor at the time) started including swim platform in the length of their boats and then Mainship did as well. WHich is why the earlier ones are called 350s and you will see them referred to as 350/390....same boat. If I were cruising, I would get the LRC. For a weekend boat, I would get the 350/390. That is just me. I am quite fond of both boats for different reasons.

PS(edit)...I just searched YW for 87-89 diesel powered Mainships at 35-39 feet.....no such animal so I am assuming we are talking about late 90s Mainships instead of late 80s.....

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 01:48:56 PM
*Yes I did post the wrong year for the Mainship. Looking at a*1998.*My experience is somewhat limited.*I previously owned a 1983*40'*MT Sedan Europa style with FL120. I'm fairly*good with wrenches and reading manuals so with help from you pros*I could do a good portion if not all my own upkeep.*I spent lots of time on the GB and other trawler forums learning how to work on my MT and enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of fixing things myself. Like most of you I knew every square inch of my boat after a while. I agree with your thoughts on the boats. Your post helped alot. I see your in Kemah. I'm just around the corner in Nassau Bay.

Thanks

-- Edited by noserider on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 11:00:29 PM

-- Edited by noserider on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 11:01:28 PM
Old 06-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #11
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Welcome to the Forum!!! And like I said, we are huge fans of that model of Mainship. We just like the sedan layout. ANd I will echo myself...at this stage of our lives(weekenders), it would be the Mainship. If we were going to liveaboard/cruise, it would be the Hatteras LRC. I especially like the Mark 2s. Keep us posted on what you decide!!! And I will look for you out on the water!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote