Old 08-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #1

City: Washington DC
'Trawler' capable of 12-14 knots

I've been reading over the forum and have found some info on my question, but wanted to get some additional info, and hopefully, detailed fuel consumption, speed info.

Here is what I'm looking for in a boat (I don't want to charge the debate and use the term trawler):

Comfortable cruising at 7-8 knots. Would like to get at least 4 mpg.
-Ability to go 12-15 knots if desired
-head
-27-36' (that's a wide range, but want to leave options open)

Desires:
-fly bridge
-plenty of deck space
-aft cabin
(I know these things may be putting me into unicorn territory here)
-single engine, would prefer inboard or outboard, would like to stay away from I/O.

We'd be using it for mostly day trips, and occasional weekends on the Chesapeake Bay, based out of the Annapolis areas. I won't discount a week long trip here and there, stopping at marinas as needed for provisions, fuel, water, and to pump-out. I'd like to be able to carry our kayaks (12.5 and 13.5', 45-55 lbs ea) to use those.

Normally, I'd like to cruise at a lower, more fuel efficient speed, but tied to a desk job, I'd like to be able to take day trips or overnight trips and get to places to visit. Doing the math, at 7 knots top speed, we could be looking at 5-6 hours to many spots.

Reviewing the forums, looking like a Albin, Tollycraft, Island Gypsy, or Mainship might be in line. Also, Bayliner or Carver seem to be possibilities.

I know I'd be looking at an SD hull, and that I'd be able to carry less fuel/water, etc. but I think for our uses for the near future would be great.

Like I said, I'd like to hear from people and get some real world figures on fuel consumption and speeds.

Edit: I know it may not be possible to hit all these points, but advice on "closest" also appreciated.

Thanks!

Todd

P.S.-Hoping to hit TrawlerFest at the Bay Bridge in October.

ToddS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
You have too many conflicting requirements. I don't think any single boat can meet all of them.

David

djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Maybe a Grand Banks 32? No aft cabin, but you could sleep a person or two in the salo(o)n. Ticks the rest of the boxes though.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Why not look at the Beneteau 34 or 44? No aft cabin but perfect for the Chesapeake, but I'm biased!
The fuel consumption figures on boattest dot com are pretty accurate.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
With those sort of numbers you'll be looking at a boat of about 7 tons with a single 250/300hp- ish engine of about 35' or less.

Most semi-d hulls need about 50hp/ton when they're loaded up with cruising gear and fuel.

The only boat I can think of that does those numbers is the Mainship 34 mk1-3, but no aft cabin.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
With those sort of numbers you'll be looking at a boat of about 7 tons with a single 250/300hp- ish engine of about 35' or less.

Most semi-d hulls need about 50hp/ton when they're loaded up with cruising gear and fuel.

The only boat I can think of that does those numbers is the Mainship 34 mk1-3, but no aft cabin.

Our Mainship 34 Mk III would have come close. Yes, no aft cabin; it was a V-berth with insert in the bow, the dinette could sleep a couple shorties, and the couch could make into a bed. Can't remember if it was a jackknife setee, or a full pull-out sleeper...

Ours was a single DD 8.2T, 220-hp IIRC... displacement about 14000, I think.... 14 knots was usually flogging it a bit; better at 12, and we usually ran at 7-ish.

Never had issues with fuel or water capacity. The holding tank -- a Traveler toilet -- was about 8-9 gallons, IIRC.

-Chris
Old 08-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #7

City: South Florida
What's your budget?
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
A newer Grand Banks 36 will do what you want if it's a twin with a pair of 220 Cummins or their equivelent. The GB hull is a semi-planing hull and with enough power it will move out very smartly albeit with an impressive appetite for diesel.

Throttled down, it will bumble along at displacement or near-displacement speed with a pretty reasonable fuel consumption.

But you need a GB36 with newer generation engines. An older one like ours with a pair of FL120s in it won't give you the speed you want. A single-engine GB36, even with a modern Cummins or John Deere in it, won't do it either because it doesn't have the total horsepower you need to move this heavy boat at those speeds.

The GB36 went out of production in the early 2000s. However their value tends to remain fairly high. So best to have a boat purchase budget of a couple hundred thousand or so for a late 90s, early 2000s boat.

And whatever you decide to get, don't forget to allow for the annual ownership cost of the boat, which is what it costs you to have that boat every year for as long as you own it. It is a not-insignificant amount, and if you don't allow for it your boat ownership experience can be a very unhappy and stressful one.

PS-- Another possibility with a single engine is a Nordic Tug. No aft cabin here, but they are marketed as "fast trawlers" and the newer ones with Cummins or Volvo power can move out fairly impressively. They only recently started putting flying bridges on some of their larger models so one is looking at a pretty hefty price tag if a flying bridge is really important.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think it can be done but can't think of any boat off hand that would do that. Most trawlers that are SD are too far from FD to be efficient enough to meet your requirements. (IMO). The GBs mentioned are too heavy and wide not to mention heavy. A NT w more rocker aft would probably do it but their bottom is too flat (though it does have some rocker) and weight could be an issue as well.

There is one variable that could definitely yeild your boat and one of our own (NA Tad Roberts) designs lean in that direction. That variable is weight. A light boat (especially a light and narrow boat) would yeild the boat you want. One of his designs is called "Passagemaker light". He is probably the only one here that could identify your boat or definitely design your boat. Before I say more I'll hope he sees this thread.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #10

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
Marin is correct about a GB 36 with larger engines but not sure it will reach 15 kts. Our 42 with twin 315 Cummins has reached 14.5 kts in a calm sea, usual Bay conditions make 13 kts more achievable. I don't believe a GB 32 could reach 10 kts, much less 15.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoft View Post
Marin is correct about a GB 36 with larger engines but not sure it will reach 15 kts.
No, I don't think it will either. But it will do the lower end of the OP's "fast" envelope, 12 knots or maybe 13 if it's pushed a bit.

The fuel consumption penalty will be hefty, however, as it's a very heavy boat to be forcing through the water that fast. We just had our 1973 GB36 hauled on Monday and it hit about 30,000 pounds on the Travelift. Granted, the early glass boats are a bit heavier than the later ones assuming the same equipment on board, but regardless, it's a lot of weight to be shoving around.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #12

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Perhaps it is apostasy, in this temple of trawlerdom, to even mention a power catamaran. But if you substitute "two private staterooms" for "aft cabin," the PDQ 34 handily meets every one of the rest of your criteria. It'll run slow and economically, or faster (ca. 15-plus knots) while still making relatively efficient use of dead dinosaurs.

Here's a good description, linked by an owner: PDQ-34_Report

They are hard to find for less than $160K, and more commonly listed for well into the $200K range. You can spend more, if you like!
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
Blissboat you beat me to it.

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
Guru

The OP wants 4nmpg.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The OP wants 4nmpg.
Not easy to achieve even at "trawler" speed. The 14-ton Coot (not capable of beyond hull-speed) can do it at five knots, but my cruising speed is six-plus knots, getting 3.5nmpg.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
The PDQ will do that if you're willing to go slow. For real first hand numbers, check this blog: Golden Trawler

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I agree on the PDQ 34, but as much as I love them, the twin aft. staterooms are a long way from the feel of a roomy aft cabin. Of course, if you've got to have the aft cabin, there's always the PDQ 41 and you'd still get close on the MPG. Big bucks, however.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #18
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Small Camano? Oliver had one. I bet he knows the numbers.
Never mind, no aft cabin.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #19
Guru

Parks yes the Camano 31 is a posibility.

Mark how true ... Willy only gets 6mpg but that's only at 6knots.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #20
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
'Trawler' capable of 12-14 knots

The camano can run 15kts max. We ran her about 9-10kts can't remember the fuel burn but she's a stout boat.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote