'Trawler' capable of 12-14 knots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most small boats from the fifties had flat bottoms to take advantage of low horse outboards.

I dont believe the vee and deep vee didn't catch on till power plants ponied up.

Both outboard boats we owned when I was a kid were much heavier I believe than an equivalent whaler or shallow vee mako type. Just from working on them and shifting blocking they seemed to be heavier.

A quick check shows a 1968 19 foot wood Lyman skiff at 2500 pounds and a 1969 19 foot glass Mako at 1500 pounds...sounds like a BIG difference to me. Other glass boats and newer glass boats are generally lighter.

Last edited:
Here you go. This is about as close as you are gonna get in a "larger" monohull. And it still misses on some of your criteria.
Shannon 38 SRD for Sale

I agree! I've never owned one but here is something I've learned over the years. Those who bad mouth the Bayliner 4588 & 4788 have never cruised on one! I used to be of that ilk. As I've stated countless times before...You doubters should take a ride on one.....you'll come away a changed person! :oldman:

Yes, I have no illusions that the interior of my 4788 is of the same caliber as some other much more expensive boats. That said, there is always a bigger, or more expensive boat out there, the sky is the limit.

What the Bayliners offer is a seaworthy, reliable platform, with a nicely done interior, and the benefits brought on by the fact that there was a team of engineers designing every aspect of them.

After four years on our 4788, looking it over with a very descriminating eye, I have found very few design defects, or things that I would do differently if I were to re-do the design.

On this boat I am adding functionality things, not fixing issues that a good design team sould have caught pre-production.

Most small boats from the fifties had flat bottoms to take advantage of low horse outboards.

I dont believe the vee and deep vee didn't catch on till power plants ponied up.

Both outboard boats we owned when I was a kid were much heavier I believe than an equivalent whaler or shallow vee mako type. Just from working on them and shifting blocking they seemed to be heavier.

A quick check shows a 1968 19 foot wood Lyman skiff at 2500 pounds and a 1969 19 foot glass Mako at 1500 pounds...sounds like a BIG difference to me. Other glass boats and newer glass boats are generally lighter.

The "deep V" boats started w a 31' offshore racing boat called "Moppie". She won the 1961 Miami Nassau offshore powerboat race easily and the high deadrise "deep V" hull became popular quickly. Moppie was powered by two 375hp V8 gas engines probably Chris Craft/Lincoln. Not an OB.

Not many boats were flat bottom. Most were 6 to 10 degrees (approx) called V hulls. Frequently they were called "warped" bottoms as each side was twisted. Most were nearly flat astern .. 3 - 5 degrees.

A planked wood boat was about as heavy as a modern FG boat I think. But some like the clinker built Lyman were lighter as much less framing was required. These lap strake boats Thompson, Cruisers Inc ect were lighter than FG boats (IMO) but carvel planked wood boats were sometimes fairly light but most were quite heavy requiring lots of frames and battens. Most of the later clinker built boats were planked w strips of plywood so technically plywood boats. But they were heavier than a paneled plywood boat because of the extensive overlapping of planks. Some plywood boats were not light .. especially the fishing and other commercial boats. But small OB pleasure boats were much lighter than the average FG boat. I had a 17' plywood Bryant OB cruiser w a 35hp Johnson and it performed well w 2 or 3 people aboard. Not the softest riding or best handling boat though. They were built w oak frames (not that many) and mahogany plywood. The mahogany topsides were frequently varnished at the Bryant plant. They had yellow bottoms of paint that was so hard it was difficult to sand.

Last edited:
Look at 37' Roughwater. Mine has a single engine and tops out about 13 knots. She's a cheap date at 8.5-9 knots (2 GPH). No aft cabin but lots of deck space. Find one with twins and you will get your speed from the extra HP.
Good Luck

Nordic Tug 32/34:
- 270 HP Cummins.
- normal cruise at 8 knots.
- cruise all day at 12+ knots (2000-2200 rpm).
- WOT 2600 rpm top end of 18 knots.
- 10 year average of 1.5 GPH.
- 200 gallons fuel, 100 gallons water
- no flybridge, but a chariot bridge option is available.

I was going to make the same comment. Ours is only a 220 HP, so our WOT is only 15.5 knots and 12+ is on the higher end of fast cruise for us, but the other figures are pretty close. Actually, we are more like 2.5 gph at 7.5-8 knots. If you move up to a 37/39 you can get a flybridge, but will be in the 250-300k range as it is a more recent option. We were ready to buy a Camano when we came across the NT in our price range. We liked the Camano, but this boat has more space. We thought we would miss the flybridge, but I'm now committed to a pilothouse. With all the doors, windows and hatch open, it is like being outside without all the sun. When the weather isn't cooperating (ran or late fall/early spring) it can't be beat. And if it is too hot, just run with the genny and AC. As for the accommodations in the 32-34, no aft cabin but the full width saloon gives a lot of room for such a small boat, and the pull out couch is great for occasional guests.

Last edited:
"The "deep V" boats started w a 31' offshore racing boat called "Moppie". She won the 1961 Miami Nassau offshore powerboat race easily and the high deadrise "deep V" hull became popular quickly."

Actually, the original Ray Hunt deep "V" was a 23ft boat called Aqua Hunter. It's performance caught the eye of some guy called Richard Bertram...whoever that was;)..who asked hunt to design a 30 footer with the same 24deg aft deadrise hull. The original was called Moppie and was of wooden construction. It became the initial design of the famous 31 Bertram. A very wet boat even up in the FB but built like a tank.

Look at 37' Roughwater. Mine has a single engine and tops out about 13 knots. She's a cheap date at 8.5-9 knots (2 GPH). No aft cabin but lots of deck space. Find one with twins and you will get your speed from the extra HP.
Good Luck

Roughin'it:
Thanks for the lead. I had not come across the Roughwaters yet but they seem in line with what I'd like.

Todd

Back
Top Bottom