Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #21
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

There is an interesting Searay comparison:
[*]Cat 3116s that are very heavy and all too often overpropped from the factory with resultant very high costs to keep running or[*]Nice running and less $$ to buy 454s but with 25% higher fuel burn than a set of diesels
Repropping should be cheaper in the long run.
The 40-44 aft cabins I've looked at has had the 3208 turbos.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #22
FF
Guru

Nice running and less $$ to buy 454s but with 25% higher fuel burn than a set of diesels.

At the common 200 hours a year fuel cost would hardly be a concern.

Remember should an engine get killed the diesel will have 5X the replacement cost,

And "Stuff happens" on used boats from past decisions.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Nice running and less $$ to buy 454s but with 25% higher fuel burn than a set of diesels.

At the common 200 hours a year fuel cost would hardly be a concern.

Remember should an engine get killed the diesel will have 5X the replacement cost,

And "Stuff happens" on used boats from past decisions.
And the expected life of the gas engine is 25%. I'll always take the diesel choice if possible.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #24
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Well, there is a bit of misinformation and irrelevant information in the recent posts.

A new Mercruiser or Crusader 8.1 rated at about 400 hp costs about $18,000-20,000 and a new Cummins QSB 380 costs about $30-35,000. So a diesel costs about twice what a gasser costs.

And yes that Cummins will last 5,000+ hours if run at reasonable hp loadings, say 250 or so. Run the gasser at the same loading and it will only go half as many hours.

Running at these high hp loadings is more of an express cruiser thing and owners rarely run them more than 200 hours each year. At 200 hours a year the fuel savings from diesel just about washes out its higher purchase price.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
At the risk of adding to the perennial argument about the value of gas vs. diesel, I want to offer my main reason for choosing diesel.

Gas simply wasn't available at all the places I wanted to go. Any place there's a fishing fleet, you can get diesel. In many places you can have it delivered by truck even if there's no fuel dock.

Begging a ride to the gas station with half-dozen plastic 6-gallon gas cans in a remote fishing village made me realize I'd have to give up my go-fast express cruiser.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
At the risk of adding to the perennial argument about the value of gas vs. diesel, I want to offer my main reason for choosing diesel.

Gas simply wasn't available at all the places I wanted to go. Any place there's a fishing fleet, you can get diesel. In many places you can have it delivered by truck even if there's no fuel dock.

Begging a ride to the gas station with half-dozen plastic 6-gallon gas cans in a remote fishing village made me realize I'd have to give up my go-fast express cruiser.
That's a little strange because a check of the marina or cruising guides will show many have gasoline and not diesel, but few have diesel and not gasoline.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That's a little strange because a check of the marina or cruising guides will show many have gasoline and not diesel, but few have diesel and not gasoline.
I don't always go where there are marinas.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #28
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/chev...Fc6DQgod90MABg

Thanks to the PO my boat has less than 75 hours on the above motor and new Osco manifolds/exhaust system. If I have a catastrophic failure tomorrow I can change the motor in my berth without a haul out in less than two days and be cruising again quite economically IMO.

I'd like to see a diesel in my engine room eventually but I can't rebuild one for twice that price.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studman View Post
I am looking for a little advise

We are thinking of getting a trawler with the price of fuel and being in need of more space, we really like to style and space most have.

The one thing holding me back is the slow speed which I know is the only way to get great fuel economy, but where would I look to get the best of both worlds?

I would love to find a trawler that would be able to do 15- 20 knots when needed and be able to get decent fuel burn or MPG but don't know where to start.

Not sure if there is such a vessel. anyone?

Thanks
S
This is not a gas vs diesel thread, it is how can the OP recreational boat around LI for less than $70K and do 15 to 20 knots when desired. LI Sound boaters have already voted, look at all the 33 to 38 foot gas Searays, Bayliners, Silvertons, Luhrs etc that fit the OP's question quite nicely.

A 20 year old diesel vs a 10 year old gasser is about where the choice lies. Plus the gas vessel will be about 1200 to 1500 pounds lighter if you compare 3208 Cats to 454s.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #30

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
This is not a gas vs diesel thread, it is how can the OP recreational boat around LI for less than $70K and do 15 to 20 knots when desired. LI Sound boaters have already voted, look at all the 33 to 38 foot gas Searays, Bayliners, Silvertons, Luhrs etc that fit the OP's question quite nicely.

A 20 year old diesel vs a 10 year old gasser is about where the choice lies. Plus the gas vessel will be about 1200 to 1500 pounds lighter if you compare 3208 Cats to 454s.

So the conclusion, the OP should not consider a trawler.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #31
FF
Guru

So the conclusion, the OP should not consider a trawler.

These days "trawler" is simply the deck house style.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
The boat in my avatar!!!....15kts at 5gph. Ironically, I bought it and had it shipped from Long Island. Coincidently, it can be had for $75k. And if image means anything, it is a damn fine looking boat!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The conclusion should be that asking others what kind of boat to buy is like asking others who to marry.

The OP can take what's been suggested here as a start, but he really needs to get out there and look at and touch boats, then make his own decision.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote