Old 06-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

City: Maumelle, AR
Traveling without a dinghy

We are close to purchasing a trawler. We sold our previous trawler last year and have been missing having one. A problem we had with the previous boat and it appears to be a problem with the boat we are considering is a good way to carry a dinghy. So, how many travel without a dinghy? Most of our travels will be on rivers and intercoastal, but a gulf crossing is always possible.

bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What do you do when your boat sinks?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
What do you do when your boat sinks?

Good grief, let's hope it doesn't come to that.

A dinghy contrary to some opinions is not a PFD. We do not have one and our time afloat is well enjoyed.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Always take my dinghy with me, kids and I like to row and sail it when in harbor so I tow it on my Downeast boat. On my trawler it is on the roof, Since I need it it for excecise and since I am singlehanding mostly it saves a lot of singlehanded docking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	40895   Click image for larger version

Name:	046.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	40896   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (23).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	40897  
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandboat View Post
We are close to purchasing a trawler. We sold our previous trawler last year and have been missing having one. A problem we had with the previous boat and it appears to be a problem with the boat we are considering is a good way to carry a dinghy. So, how many travel without a dinghy? Most of our travels will be on rivers and intercoastal, but a gulf crossing is always possible.
We always carry a dingy. The one trip I made without one it was sorely missed. Any boat can carry a dingy even it you have to spring a couple of grand for custom davits. Worth every penny in my opinion. I would not want to have to pay for a marina every time I wanted to get off the boat. But everyone is different. If your plans are marina hopping then I guess it could be done, but having a dink opens up a lot more possibilities.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We nearly always travel with a dinghy, started back in the days when we had the big dogs aboard, carried over to subsequent dogs, etc. But even without the critters, we find it very useful.

(We even have ours rigged so I can launch it in an emergency with just a couple of line slashes.)

But FWIW, we began working the "how would we carry it" issue during our mothership shopping stages. IOW, we selected a boat that could carry a dinghy, one way or the other.

It's also possible to sort it a bit more by picking a dinghy that speaks to the "how must I carry it" question. More compromises here, but generally solve-able.

"Systems of systems" approach.

-Chris
Old 06-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
We always traveled with a hard dingy, Nutshell Pram with sail. which is a nice dinghy to build if you have the skills to do it. I had never built a boat prior to the NP and it was a fun project. Plans are still available if you want to go that route. If your cruising includes the Bahamas you will need a dinghy.
We now use a 8' inflatable which fits into a bag that's about 3' long 2' high and wide it stows nicely out of the sun in the dock box we have on ouir boat deck until we need it. We use a 2HP Yamaha 2 stroke outboard motor for propulsion.
Bill
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #8

What about towing Vs carrying a dinghy?
Old 06-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
There's also the option of collapsing the inflatable and storing it in the lazarette until needed. It's a bit more work, but it's an option many live with.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We love our dinghies. Even though we normally stay at marinas we love to just get out and explore in our Rib's. However, we know people who have no use for them. Some who dock at marinas but if they want to explore, prefer to rent. Some who prefer to tow, which we have no interest in doing. It's just a personal use kind of thing.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I consider the big boat to be the delivery vehicle for the dinghy, kind of like the 747 carrying the space shuttle. Since we boat to anchor out and use moorings, I couldn't cruise without one. Even when we dock, the dink is almost always deployed for fun and exploration. And yes, towing is a definite option, takes some practice for close quarters maneuvering, but what doesn't?

I have seen people with pocket trawlers such as C Dorys essentially use their boat the way we use a dinghy, but that kills some of the fun, and a lot of of the places you can get into (such as a dinghy dock!).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I couldn't cruise without one. Even when we dock, the dink is almost always deployed for fun and exploration.
Yup...We've been having some fun since I got ours mounted on the step with snap brackets. Cramming 36' worth of boat stuff into a 28 footer has been a challenge, But I think w got it!

Old 06-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #13
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I tow mine. It is shared between two boats. Neither boat has davits or a place on board for the dinghy.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I carry two 8' kayaks, one 9'6" roll up inflatable, and on occasion, tow a 9' Minto sailing dinghy. A 2hp Honda will go on the inflatable.

All this on a 26' boat, without looking too unwieldy.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #15
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
A dinghy will come in handy, especially at the beaches along the ICW. There are some really nice ones that you can anchor near and paddle or motor in with a dinghy. It is hard to be sure but it looks on you avatar picture that your boat has a swim platform, maybe one back there on weaver davits? If not maybe an inflatable, carried collapsed on board?
Some folks have good luck towing, I am sure I'd be backing over the tow line one day! Some friends in a 60 footer once got the towing line wrapped around their prop, before they noticed the line pulled the dinghy under and the prop took some big bites out of it.
Good luck either way
Old 06-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #16

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Our dinghy (RHIB) frees us from going dock-to-dock. It is also our exploration vehicle.

And because we are a single screw, it could be our "get-home" in a pinch (have done this once).
Old 06-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #17
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
This has been a popular thread. Fourteen responses in 4 hours. Many of the postings didn't address the OP's real question: is it possible to cruise without a dinghy. So I'll give it a shot:

My answer is certainly yes, but there are ways of having your cake and eat it too. I have a good friend who is a full time cruiser. He has a dinghy but because of his bad luck with outboards he has decided to limit its use to a trolling motor and as a result he doesn't use the dinghy much.

But he makes it work. Mostly by seeking out free docks. Active Captain is a great resource for this. In our area of NC there are free docks in; Oriental, Bath, Washington, Edenton, Elizabeth City, Manteo and almost free (with a Golden Age passport) in Ocracoke. I probably missed a few.

So if it were me I would give it try. But I definitely would buy a roll up dinghy and store it in the aft cockpit or a big lazarette. Other solutions include a kayak. Also there is nothing wrong with towing an RIB, just don't go offshore with one under tow. Storms can sink it and you will have no way of emptying it during heavy wind and seas.

And finally a word about dinghies as a safety device. Sure a real life raft is better, but if my boat starts taking on water and I can't control it, I have the dinghy to save my ass. It won't ride out 20' seas but I don't ever expect to be in them. Wherever I cruise a dinghy will work reasonably well as a life raft. Even a roll up can be inflated with a 12V inflater in 5 minutes. Don't leave home without it.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #18
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandboat View Post
So, how many travel without a dinghy?
We don't use a dinghy as everywhere we go includes a mooring, dock or a slip. (Except for anchoring of course.) The dinghy you see in my avatar will hopefully be gone tomorrow morning to a new home. We will add a life raft, either on the bow with a hydro static release or in a valise, stowed??????

Revere Coastal Elite Life Raft

Having been a Rescue Swimmer when I was in the Navy, I formed some pretty hard & fast opinions on what was needed when the ship sank. A well stocked abandon ship bag, an EPIRB, shelter from the elements & an easily deployed life raft were my minimum requirements. Although a hand held VHF was not available to us back then, today it is almost mandatory. (Short answer to the OP's question? We don't carry one as we don't consider it to be a very good life boat. The Reveres (life rafts) are half the price of a Switlik.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Revere.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	40898  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
My vote is to aways take a dinghy. Last year bringing my trawler around from the storage yard, I thought it would be easier to bring the new-to-us dinghy to the boat after delivery. wrong. Not 100 yards from our new dock, we bumped bottom and wound up aground on the lee side of the narrow channel. So we had to call Sea Tow instead of using our dinghy to place the anchor to kedge off the bar.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #20

A couple notes: The avatar is the boat I sold. We have not made a purchase of a new (used) boat, but have one in strong consideration.

We have a Lehr 2 1/2 HP outboard that runs on propane. Neat little outboard.

We do enjoy anchoring and will seek out free docks. There are some really good ones, surprisingly.

We have towed in the past, which is OK on rivers and small bays. Not OK in big stuff, but I have been told that an experienced boater can tow a dinghy in big rough stuff if you do certain things. Not sure what those are.

The Weaver snap davits would not be just what I want on the boat we are considering, but may be the better choice if we do not tow, if we take a dinghy.