Old 06-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #61
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
That's the key... not only having a dinghy but being able to launch and retrieve with ease. If it's not easy, it won't be used.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever the choice for OP is, just know that if it's a pain in the transom to use your dinghy it won't be used.
Couldn't agree more!

Here's the new home for my dinghy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	41021  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #62
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
It's all a matter of how each person cruises. We almost never use a RIB to get to shore from anchoring. However, on an average six week cruise we use a RIB for exploration and fun 8-12 times. That would equate to somewhere between 20 and 40 engine hours on it and we'll cover between 300 and 800 nm. We might have a day we use it primarily to go from island to island so out all day but an hour of engine time and 10 miles covered. But then we've had the occasion of a 12 hour day, with 8 hours of engine time and 180 nm covered. It's our way of getting up close and personal with the places we visit.

Now, I have a good friend who doesn't carry or use a tender or dinghy, ever. He does rent Whaler's and similar quite often on trips to explore. If he goes to the Bahamas for 2 weeks, he'll have at least 4 days of boat rental.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #63
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A cardiologist who I respected once said that no one over 40 should own a manual starting outboard or lawn mower. A boat dealer I knew wouldn't sell them. The motion of pulling across your body, across your heart, is the reason. This discussion came about after my father's fatal heart attacks. He had spent the afternoon mulching leaves and hand starting a rather balky leaf mulcher.
This is NOT a gotcha' reply, but I'm curious about the science behind this. A Google search with most combinations of "pull-starting" and "heart attacks" doesn't turn up much, if anything on it. I would think it would be more widely discussed if it were a significant risk.

I do understand your concern and sympathize with the loss of your father. Mine had his first heart attack (of 5 or 6) when he was 35 after shoveling snow. I haven't felt safe doing that ever since.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #64
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Couldn't agree more!

Here's the new home for my dinghy.
Codger - when we finally do set up the dingy, I was thinking of the same location - aft deck roof. Doesn't that badly increase your windage though? As it is on a windy day we open all the eisenglass to minimize the sideways pushing. I'd love to use that same location, wasted space otherwise, but I'm afraid of turning the boat into even more of a sail than it already is.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #65
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
As to the science of pull starting, I don't fully understand the science, but the part I picked up was that it was the pulling across the heart and strain from it. The concern is certainly anecdotal rather than something scientifically proved, but I've heard it from many in the field and from the EMT's to the doctors in the hospital to the coroner, they all reacted as if it was a very common association. I'm sure in most cases there were underlying conditions, not previously diagnosed, already there. My father had lifestyle factors that certainly could have contributed, but it happened immediately after pulling the cord on the mulcher.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #66
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Codger - when we finally do set up the dingy, I was thinking of the same location - aft deck roof. Doesn't that badly increase your windage though? .
I can't answer that as it's the new owner's boat. It's a 46' Carver and it came with that mount on top. (I think!)

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #67
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Eric, I was thinking the same thing about extra moorage fees so I welded up a pivoting davit. My marina charges by the 5 foot increment and with the dinghy pivoted inboard, Panope squeaks in at just under 35 feet. Note that the radar dome is positioned so that it also pivots inboard.

The pivots have UHMW bearings for effortless pivoting. Two drop pins keep it in place while under way. Takes just a few seconds to pivot and a few more to cast off the hoisting line to launch dinghy.

This is all just a variation of the old fashioned ship lifeboat davit. Something similar could be arranged for your Willard if you could stand having a big metal thing grafted on to your otherwise beautifully clutter free boat.

Steve
STEVE YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

What a splendid design. Your's ?

Just started to look at it and already have a variation in mind. The mast standing on the port cap rail and the dink resting or not w 2/3rds of it over the cabin. Gotta show Chris. I'm really excited .. here is a solution that will really work well I think.

Here is the dinghy I want to use. It's 10' (an ex sail boat) And I'd like to manage it w the engine attached. Sixty lbs so it would be a 200lb package. Don't know if it's practical as it would be twice as heavy as yours. A good "crib" on the roof may allow the weight as it would be tied down underway.
I was beginning to think kayaks again .. one for each of us. But this opens the door to a light exploration class dinghy. Thanks dosn't seem adequate but I'm not up to big bucks or kisses. So THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71275 copy 2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	41023  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #68

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Thanks, Eric. It is all my own concoction.

Strength wise, my set up is just adequate for my 72 lb. dinghy. I used 2 1/2" schedule 80 6061 Alum Pipe and it does flex a bit. Cantilever is only 2 feet horizontally and a similar amount in the vertical direction. Your proposal for a 200 lb. dinghy hoisted quite a bit higher will demand a larger pipe. I'm thinking 3 1/2" minimum.

Also, consider a rolly anchorage or a boat wake just as you are trying to pivot the whole apparatus. 200 lbs flopping around might get a little out of hand. Then again, your proposal to chock and secure the boat on the house top eliminates the need for that fancy curved channel thingamajig that I needed for mine.

The lower end of the pipe needs to bury into a lower pivot that is somewhat below (2 feet?) the upper pivot. Is there adequate clearance bellow the cap rail area that you have in mind?

Next time you are in Port Townsend, Shoot me a P.M. and I will at least help with the brainstorming.

Steve
Old 06-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #69
Guru

Steve we don't often get over to PT. When's the Wooden Boat thing? That may be motivation. But I'm real keen on this kind of brainstorming
I think it could easily be done basically the way you've done it. Perhaps w my dink w/o engine and fuel. Just the boat is only about 10lbs heavier than yours. Then I'd power it w my 2hp Yamaha 2-stroke. It's significantly quieter than a Honda 2 but still noisy. My 6hp Johnson (70s vintage) or 8hp Yamaha are very quiet and smooth but weigh 60lbs. I may find another 3hp OMC twin. Chris could hand that (30lbs) down to me in the boat. Twin engined dinghy? ... Far Out. The nice thing about the 6hp+ is at half throttle engines don't make much noise at all. 6hp gives me 7 or 8 knots on the dink.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #70
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
OK, time to clarify making the whole trip from FL to CT without the dinghy getting wet. Despite our best efforts, we got into a time crunch getting to CT to make an unavoidable plane trip back to Boca Raton of all places to attend a family event. We pushed hard, long days and were tired each night. No desire to explore, just wanting to get to bed for an early start the next day. The only breaks were for weather and no need for the dink in rain and wind.

My point was, that it can be done. As I stated, we would not be without the dink and use it all the time under normal circumstances.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #71

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Eric,

You should be fine with mounting/removing the outboard motor while the dinghy is in the water because once the davit tackle is freed from the dinghy, you now have the worlds greatest outboard motor crane. Pivoting davit is also good for general loading/unloading of heavy items from dock or dinghy. Could even be a lifesaver in a M.O.B. situation.

Steve
Old 06-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
The weekend before the trip we bought a Zodiac Zoom at Defender, and a Yamaha 4-horse for it. Never used it, never inflated it. It stayed in its bag on the bow the whole trip.
Sod`s law says if you had not bought the dinghy and o/b, you would have needed it, several times.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:54 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Sod`s law says if you had not bought the dinghy and o/b, you would have needed it, several times.
Ha! I'm sure you're right. I used to live on the Connecticut River (Chester) and so I wanted to show our guests Hamburg Cove when we went by. According to the chart and tide, I should have had just enough water. Nope. Ran gently aground in the mud but luckily eased back out into the river. Anyway, that was one time I wished we had the dingy, but not badly enough to go to the trouble to inflate it and deploy it.

The other factor was that the genset battery was dead so it wouldn't start. Since we insisted on being civilized with 110v electricity each evening, a mooring ball or anchoring out wouldn't have worked anyway - so one more reason we didn't use it. The boat will be delivered to our home marina next week and we expect to finally set up that dingy and we'll probably have lots of fun with it.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:10 AM   #74
Guru

Understood, first unpack and inflate is time consuming, but you had one if you really needed it.
Side issue, I fitted a 25w solar panel with regulator, dedicated to the genset batt. A genset can go a while between starts.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:21 AM   #75
Guru

A little thread drift I know, but that's a good suggestion. That's exactly the problem, the gen goes a long time between starts and the battery is isolated by itself, not connected to the charger, and a mile forward of the house and (engine) starting batteries so even jumper cables weren't practical. And I wasn't in the mood to fool with it during the trip because like the dingy, we didn't really need it badly enough to spend the time (and I didn't have a tester, and there were a pile of other items that took higher priority, like new bulbs for the nav lights, a new water inlet check valve/pressure regulator, relatively small things but more pressing).
Old 06-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #76
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
You should be fine with mounting/removing the outboard motor while the dinghy is in the water because once the davit tackle is freed from the dinghy, you now have the worlds greatest outboard motor crane. Pivoting davit is also good for general loading/unloading of heavy items from dock or dinghy.
Eric. I too am thinking about Steve's brilliant plan. I wondered at an extended U-bolt? The thought being to drill a couple holes through the gunnel of Algae, then shove the u-bolt around the support post and through the gunnel. A couple of wing nuts and the dink is held in place.

Can you (or anyone else) see anything wrong with that? (Saves the extend curved brace)

My gunnels have wood (inside and outside) as the dink was starting to warp out of shape. She's a 1972 fiberglass no-name dink. The wood along the sides gave her stability.

I would reinforce the gunnel on the dink where the u-bolt attaches.

I've got eyebolts through bolted mid-ship too on Algae. The eyes are inside so they won't gouge the boat. That's so when I bring her to Seaweed, I can snap on and she's snugged up against the real boat for unloading groceries and such. The snap is on a line from the cleat on the davit.

It's simply easier than having to tie up when I'm coming in. Snap. Done.

Is this too much thread drift?
Old 06-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #77
FF
Guru

"a new water inlet check valve/pressure regulator,"

These either die or require cleaning from minerals in the water.

Easiest to live with is the brass RV units with a pressure gauge .

These can be opened , the guts cleaned with a scotch brite pad and reassembeled in a couple of min.

Travel with out a dink? NEVER!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #78
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
Oh no you didn't !
No we did not name it Tinker Belle That came from a post from Eric (Manyboats ) . Haven't named the dink yet but probably going to be Willy .
Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #79
Guru

Marty,
Sorry about the "Tinker Belle". Couldn't remember the brand name Trinka so I winged it. Could have been a senior moment. And Willie is a fine name for the best dink of them all.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #80
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
I used to live on the Connecticut River (Chester) and so I wanted to show our guests Hamburg Cove when we went by. According to the chart and tide, I should have had just enough water. Nope.
The channel into Hamburg Cove has silted in? That's a shame; one of our favorite places to hang out for a few days. Never had an issue with 5 feet of draft, but it's been about five years since our last visit. Great place to launch the dinghy and explore up the creek to the cool, wooden boat oriented marina/yard and the little store up the hill, half doll shop and half grocery (wonder if she is still alive?). And Selden Creek and of course Essex and Deep River for town action.

Do advise you get the genset battery its own charger.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote