Old 11-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #21

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF1984 View Post
As for the Manasquan inlet entrance I would think its not friendly if the tide is going out and the wind is southeast.re a little and get too much information, and sometimes it does become TMI. So it's best to quash my male qualities sometimes and ask for directions.
The issue with places like Manasquan (and it is one of the more dangerous) is that you an arrive to find that a large, long, high energy swell totally unrelated to anything you'll learn from a weather report has come on from a disturbance far out at sea. It is impossible to judge the state of the seas over the bar from the outside. You arrive tired and anxious to get off the water and out of the motion and your judgement may not be all it should be. You go for it and find yourself in breaking seas.

Some boats are better than others handling these kind of conditions. As a naval architect, I can think of few I would less want to take in through a breaking inlet than a Pilgrim.

I've done the inside NJ route northbound (going out of a place like Manasquan is a completely different proposition. You are fresh, you have more choice, and you can see what is happening before you get into it. A boat will also punch into a breaking sea with less risk than running before it). The inside NJ can be done with 4 foot draft but I was glad I had a lot of experience with the skinny water of the ICW before I did it. It is a great and interesting trip, especially right through the back neighborhoods of Atlantic City.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #22
Guru

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Roger,

To me you are describing the same conditions as Canapitsit Channel in the ELizabeth Island chain along the south side of Buzzards Bay. It can be pretty hairy in a strong SW breeze.

All things being equal, the forecast for wind direction and sea swell look pretty good tomorrow afternoon.

I won't have a better idea of my schedule until I'm through NY tomorrow.

(Got laid up in Mystic for 3 extra nights which also killed me on a favorable tide through LI sound)

Right now I'm at World's Fair Marina listening to the jets fly overhead looking forward to a favorable tide through NY at 6:42 am.

So if I think it's to "swelly" I have to hold in place and wait at Atlantic highlands (?)

And how does entrance at Barnagat Bay compare to Manasquan?

John
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #23
Guru

Actually Barnaget Bay entrance is not workable unless I grow wings and fly through N Y at 10 kts.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #24
Guru

Too swelly off of Sandy Hook, off to Atlantic Highlands for a few days.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #25
Guru

As I am stuck for a few days we decided to poke around and found a great place to tie up on the Navesink River, Fair Haven Yacht Works. This place is in primo condition.