Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #41
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Oh, Wifey B, you need to lower your mind way down into the gutter where mine is to see the double entendre of the second sentence.
A blooper if ever I saw one.
Wifey B: I love double entendre's. My hubby introduced me to video's of Groucho Marx and Johnny Carson. They knew how to do it. And I caught what you're calling a blooper.
__________________
Advertisement

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #42
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well, they are out there, I'm not endorsing! This from a sailing forum:
"Lady with sailing experience would like to cruise the Bahamas or Eastern Caribbean this winter. I have logged about 6,000 nautical miles, have some offshore experience, and have experience handling a 58' power yacht. I'm very active, fit, and agile and have an easygoing, happy disposition. Not prone to seasickness. Previously was a liveaboard. Well traveled outdoor adventurer. Available to cruise indefinitely."
Wifey B: Definitely out there. I'm sure the rest of the story on that lady would be interesting.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:36 AM   #43
Guru
 
Forkliftt's Avatar
 
City: Biloxi Mississippi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,433
My thoughts exactly... Any female willing to jump aboard a ship without any idea of how tolerable the relationship would be- for 5 years, would certainly have to be crazy . This might not bode well for you !!!


1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
__________________
Steve Point Cadet/ Biloxi, Mississippi USA
*Present 42 twin 135 Lehmans
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #44
Guru
 
cappy208's Avatar
 
City: Cape Cod
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,131
As mentioned, think back to when you started to live aboard. It took you some time to 'learn how to live in a shoebox'. It is folly to expect to find someone in a classified ad who would adapt instantly to live like this (especially to get along personally with you) for five years.

Start with a 30 day cruising companion. Then work to find the one that 'sticks'.

From the people I have sailed with their true colors start to shine through after 20 days or so.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #45
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
[QUOTE=cappy208From the people I have sailed with their true colors start to shine through after 20 days or so.[/QUOTE]
That applies even on shore with the relatives and they have been in your life forever.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #46
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,903
Usually both men and women that choose to go to and stay at sea or at least live aboard are a tiny percent. Their mentality is pretty far askew from the average.

After 3 liveaoards and wild variation on companions who chose to or not to do it....and several segments dating looking for the perfect cruising companion....

I would firmly say that all advice should be tossed out the window...most is based on a particular set of people and situations...all could be polar opposites of the day and person you meet.

Looking hard is probably only as fruitful as going with the flow, being immersed in the situation, living it fully and crossing paths with the right one.

The percentages we are talking about for long distance cruising the way YOU want to do it...you will likely find many more struck by lightning than the "prefect cruising companion" out of the blue.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #47
Guru
 
READY2GO's Avatar
 
City: Marathon, Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by N43 Genesis View Post
Back in the search again for a nice woman to do a circumnavigation with. I know this sounds pathetic, but it is hard to find someone who can take off for five years, or so. We need a dating app on this website.
N43, I think the right person is out there. Don't get discouraged. I think there are a lot of ladies out there that would do it if it was done in a non committal way. Instead of asking a woman to commit to 5 years tell her you are doing a circumnavigation and ask if they would like to join you. If you do it in a way that SHE enjoys she will stay the whole way. If she is not having fun she will bail at the first port. Just know that to have her along, and to keep her happy it will cost more than going alone. When I had a sailboat I had a plaque on the bulkhead that said "Like a Woman, the rigging costs more than the hull".
__________________
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." Mark Twain

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #48
omc
Senior Member
 
omc's Avatar
 
City: Antibes
Country: France
Vessel Name: LUTIN
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 480
Good !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2go View Post
n43, i think the right person is out there. Don't get discouraged. I think there are a lot of ladies out there that would do it if it was done in a non committal way. Instead of asking a woman to commit to 5 years tell her you are doing a circumnavigation and ask if they would like to join you. If you do it in a way that she enjoys she will stay the whole way. If she is not having fun she will bail at the first port. Just know that to have her along, and to keep her happy it will cost more than going alone. When i had a sailboat i had a plaque on the bulkhead that said "like a woman, the rigging costs more than the hull".
👍👍👍😊
__________________
Olivier
omc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #49
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Thinks happen in strange ways in life and when you least expect them. That being said, I think you're far more likely to find that long time cruising companion by simply finding people who would like to cruise a little, a weekend, or a month. Or set out on a trip. Five years is a long time to commit to anything.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #50
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,903
5 years is a long time...just ask a lot of people who signed up for the military and 5 minutes into boot camp decided it was a bad decision...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #51
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,630
My girlfriend would go with me tomorrow if we had the means to cut out of here!!! I think she might like the boat more than she likes me!!!!...
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #52
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,482
I have a close friend that just went through this, his crew advertised on a popular bay area sailing magazine turned out to be not so great, and her "resume" sounded remarkably similar to the one listed above. She made it about 300 miles. Finding someone cold turkey that will go offshore is the proverable needle in a haystack..rarely will it last.
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #53
Guru
 
Off Duty's Avatar
 
City: Tampa
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
I never had a woman who pooped on the beach and I had to scoop it up...
So you just left it there on the beach?
__________________
"I'm the only one who has removed half a brain, but if you went to Washington, you'd think someone beat me to it"...Dr. Ben Carson 08-06-2015
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #54
Guru
 
Off Duty's Avatar
 
City: Tampa
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B:-
Something else is some dude says "Five years cruising together, strictly platonic" and my response is "Yeah, Right."
Yup! There's an old sayin' from my much younger years:
A**, Gas or Grass, nobody rides for free....
Unless she's a total sea hagg, and even then after five years (five drinks, five minutes or 5pm for some people), everybody starts lookin' like a star I don't see strictly platonic in this relationship at all.

As to your post, I had to go back and look it up, and yes, intentional or not, it was funny. It took me a second (I can be a little slow at times) then it hit and I went dayum girl!

OD
__________________
"I'm the only one who has removed half a brain, but if you went to Washington, you'd think someone beat me to it"...Dr. Ben Carson 08-06-2015
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #55
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,629
Platonic? No. I don't think so.

I'm sure just about everyone has seen this one. Maybe I'm just a neanderthal, but, I agree 100%.


BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #56
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post

As to your post, I had to go back and look it up, and yes, intentional or not, it was funny. It took me a second (I can be a little slow at times) then it hit and I went dayum girl!

OD
Wifey B: Not lil' ole' me.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #57
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Usually both men and women that choose to go to and stay at sea or at least live aboard are a tiny percent. Their mentality is pretty far askew from the average.

After 3 liveaoards and wild variation on companions who chose to or not to do it....and several segments dating looking for the perfect cruising companion....

I would firmly say that all advice should be tossed out the window...most is based on a particular set of people and situations...all could be polar opposites of the day and person you meet.

Looking hard is probably only as fruitful as going with the flow, being immersed in the situation, living it fully and crossing paths with the right one.

The percentages we are talking about for long distance cruising the way YOU want to do it...you will likely find many more struck by lightning than the "prefect cruising companion" out of the blue.
psneeld,,
You say all advice should be tossed out the window. And of course that dosn't include yours.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #58
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,369
There actually are women who want to do a very long cruise provided you are in the ports and yacht clubs where these gals are likely to be. But a lot of it comes down to the male - is he stable, in good shape, sexy, well funded, with a nice vessel, fun to be around, drug free, relatively sober, sexually capable, not a wife beater etc. No different than being in Des Moines as far as attracting nice gals. A winter in La Paz will show some hope if the male and ship bear scrutiny well.

For those on the West Coast, a good starting point is San Diego. It is a large playing field. With a nice vessel and possessing the above, ahem, capabilities have at it. If you strike out here you are not going to do much better anywhere else.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #59
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
psneeld,,
You say all advice should be tossed out the window. And of course that dosn't include yours. But you're is really quite good especially the military part.
Try putting into the context of the post.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #60
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
There actually are women who want to do a very long cruise provided you are in the ports and yacht clubs where these gals are likely to be. But a lot of it comes down to the male - is he stable, in good shape, sexy, well funded, with a nice vessel, fun to be around, drug free, relatively sober, sexually capable, not a wife beater etc. No different than being in Des Moines as far as attracting nice gals. A winter in La Paz will show some hope if the male and ship bear scrutiny well.

For those on the West Coast, a good starting point is San Diego. It is a large playing field. With a nice vessel and possessing the above, ahem, capabilities have at it. If you strike out here you are not going to do much better anywhere else.
So true...get people out of their usual hants and they are often suprised at just how different places and cultures and personality types can really be. Sometimes those circles are tiny in relation to the whole population...but go to hot spots and it's a different ballgame.

For certain alternative lifestyles...many towns/cities became famous for their XYZ population before many even gave that lifestyle much thought.
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012