Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #41
Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 734
Just to clarify, using a sea yacht hauler is complicated. The Jones Act prevents carriers moving vessels between US ports (stupid!!). This means that in order to get the boat to the East Coast, it most likely will need to travel first to Costa Rica on its own bottom. Then it is not clear whether the vessel doing the pick-up in Golfito, CR will deliver to Rhode Island or only to Ft. Lauderdale. So apart from (high) cost this is likely a complicated routing option.

Live-aboards in my marina (close to Newport, RI) do not use de-icers, but how they get power, water, and pump-outs is anybody's guess because the marina does not offer any Winter services.
__________________
Advertisement

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #42
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
Just to clarify, using a sea yacht hauler is complicated. The Jones Act prevents carriers moving vessels between US ports (stupid!!). This means that in order to get the boat to the East Coast, it most likely will need to travel first to Costa Rica on its own bottom. Then it is not clear whether the vessel doing the pick-up in Golfito, CR will deliver to Rhode Island or only to Ft. Lauderdale. So apart from (high) cost this is likely a complicated routing option.

Live-aboards in my marina (close to Newport, RI) do not use de-icers, but how they get power, water, and pump-outs is anybody's guess because the marina does not offer any Winter services.
DYT is Golfito and delivers to both Fort Lauderdale and Newport, RI. SevenStar will deliver from Ensenada to Palm Beach. Those are the currently scheduled routes. Now, of course they may change over time.

Not really complicated in those terms. But there is the task of getting the boat to the port, having it ready to take to the ship and standing by or having a Captain standing by for an extended period until they schedule you for loading as loading is generally not scheduled on a precise day but within a window. In the past with some shippers who are no longer in business loading sometimes ended up delayed months, but DYT (Now owned by SevenStar as well) and SevenStar don't have that problem.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #43
Guru
 
City: Fort Myers
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 956
The naval base marina has rec vessels in all year, along with in the harbor of Newport so that's not an issue. I have read a couple stories of boats going coast to coast, fly bridges came off and needed multiple vehicles given wide load. Personnally I would pass on the sale and look around Newport area when you arrive, many appartments rent by the month so if you find something you are set, including a lower cost sail boat to live on.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #44
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
The naval base marina has rec vessels in all year, along with in the harbor of Newport so that's not an issue. I have read a couple stories of boats going coast to coast, fly bridges came off and needed multiple vehicles given wide load. Personnally I would pass on the sale and look around Newport area when you arrive, many appartments rent by the month so if you find something you are set, including a lower cost sail boat to live on.
Transporting by truck isn't the problem some are making it out to be. The companies that do it are professional and do it all the time. Joule, for example, lists on their site the manufacturers, dealers, and shipyards they work with. Understand that almost all Sea Rays get transported by truck and the majority of Carvers and Marquis. On most boats, removing the bridge and then reassembling it isn't difficult.

Now, that said, land transport would not be my choice. Sea transport would be. Still, it's not an unreasonable alternative.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #45
Guru
 
City: Fort Myers
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 956
I didnít say it couldn't be done, logistically there are complexities. My friend who bought a 38' Carver in Mich. to be delivered to Ct was told it was routine as well, up until the truck driver hit a bridge. Yes itís insured, but do you really need all the hassles, to me there are plenty of boats on the east coast to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Transporting by truck isn't the problem some are
making it out to be. The companies that do it are professional and do it all the time. Joule, for example, lists on their site the manufacturers, dealers, and shipyards they work with. Understand that almost all Sea Rays get transported by truck and the majority of Carvers and Marquis. On most boats, removing the bridge and then reassembling it isn't difficult.

Now, that said, land transport would not be my choice. Sea transport would be. Still, it's not an unreasonable alternative.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
stevensibs's Avatar
 
City: Rockport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Still Sibsie
Vessel Model: 42' Bristol Trawler
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 157
Ch, hello. I shipped my 42' Bristol up to Massachusetts from st. Augustine FL by truck. I had to remove the fly bridge even on a lowboy trailer. It cost 7000 plus 800 for permits and took 4 days. No damage and all in all not a bad experience. However, if you have NOT bought the boat yet and it is not the boat of your dreams then buy one on the east coast. From Florida to Maine it is a buyers market like I've never seen before!
__________________
Steve and Sibsie
42' Bristol Trawler
member ABYC
www.sibsie.com
stevensibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:29 AM   #47
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by melroughwater View Post
Has anyone here moved a boat a distance?
I've gone from Ft. Lauderdale through the canal to the west coast of Costa Rica and then back. If you want to know how much it would cost to bring the boat through the canal contact canal agent Tina McBride. She can give you the numbers.

Tina McBride Yacht Services

I think both the cost and time numbers are a bit light for a delivery like that.
__________________

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012