Old 11-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #1

City: Jacksonville
Transport by Land

Just bought a 32' Grand Banks and need to have it moved by land/truck across Florida - west to east coast.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I've hire a marine transporter and high pole driver.

Should the mast be taken off or just laid down? How should it be secured?
I plan to take the Bimini and canvas off.
I'll take the dink and outboard in my pickup truck.
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan
One if by land

A transportation company will be able to answer all of those questions. I suggest that you move it on it's own bottom. Have an adventure, take a week and enjoy the trip.
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #3

No time off till summer

I really want to take it by water, but this is my busy season at work. Honestly I didn't think I would find the boat I wanted so fast. I bought the second boat I looked at. I only wanted a 32' Grand Banks. I did my research and new what to look for and all the potential problems before I started looking. I guess I got lucky. This one is in above average condition at the right price - not cheap by any means, and after I met the owner I knew he had done everything right.

I'm sure the transport company knows what they are doing, but I always try to get real world advice from boat owners who have done the same thing I'm trying to do. It paid off in spades with buying a Grand Banks.

Know anyone that has transported a boat by land?
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
...Know anyone that has transported a boat by land?
We had a 34 Mainship moved from CA to WA and as awpptdt mentioned, the trucking company told what we needed to do.

You could ask your question on the GB owners forum if you haven't already.

Grand Banks Owner's Resources
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #5

I would try to find a captain for crossing the state before hauling and truckin.
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
We had our GB36 trucked from CA to WA. A Gb36, we were told by the trucking company, is the largest GB that can be trucked without removing the flying bridge. Everything else-- mast, boom, antennas, venturi panels, bimini--- had to come off for the trip. It all depends on the bridge clearances along the route and the trucking company, if they know what they're doing, will know the requirements for the route they will be taking with your boat. Unless there are no overpasses or wires, the mast and boom at least will most likely need to come off.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
FF
Guru

Where is the boat , and where is it going to?

If the dates were right ,,, maybe.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #8

City: usa
Smile boat transporter

hi friend
i think this link can be useful to you
YachtShippers.com
eyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
It is an interesting topic, and one that pops up from time to time. Please keep us informed as you move forward.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
That is an easy trip across the peninsula, going through Lake Okeechobee. Even if you are busy, you can do it in a long weekend from the West Coast to the East Coast. Of course, running north up the ICW from Stuart to Jacksonville will take a while longer, but I would consider doing it in stages. It is a beautiful trip and a nice adventure. Just brought my boat over from the East Coast to the panhandle about a month ago, and am glad that I did. Trucking is expensive and has its disadvantages.

All that said, of course, if you are determined to truck it then you need to get the info from the horse's mouth -- a trucking company. You will get a lot of different opinions from the group here, some of them conflicting.

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Chapin, SC
Vessel Name: Nord Havn
Vessel Model: 35
I am considering the same circumstances fr a 36 ft vessel located in Droughton MI wanting to get it to Charleston SC. Overland vs. on its own bottom? Navigation route how complex and how long would it take me, and when to start this trip vs. overland transport?

The vessel is wood-carvel plank, NS White Pine, white oak ribs, Built in 2000, Heisler Boat Yard. 36' Single 6cyl 140 hp American Diesel (Lehmans) 620 hours
8k Gen Set only 115 hours. Marine air/heat.

On its own bottom, what route, how long sould it take, what do you figure it will cost?
Midshipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Chapin, SC
Vessel Name: Nord Havn
Vessel Model: 35
Oops, I meant Houghton, Mich 49931. I am in Columbia SC, but would the boat would go to Charleston SC? I am maping out the practicality of this endeavor.

On its own bottom, what route, how long should it take, what do you figure it will cost given the specs of the vessel above? Is this doable in a practical and non-protracted way?

All toughts welcomed!
Midshipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Scout
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
I agree that looking into a captain to transport your boat may save you money. When we looked to have our boat transported overland the cost was nearly three times that of hiring a captain.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: -
Things may have changed since then but when we had our GB trucked from Alameda, CA to Tacoma, WA in 1998 the cost (about $4,000) was virtually the same as hiring a professional and recommended delivery skipper. However our insurance company was way happier with the boat on a truck than out off the west coast somewhere, which saved us a not-insignificant amount of money which we used toward upgrades to the boat when it got here..

Plus the truck trip only took three days while bringing it up on its own bottom could have taken weeks given the variables of the weather and water conditions along the coast.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #15
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I think trucking the boat would be the cheaper option. It certainly wouldn't be as much fun, but time constraints and life get in our way.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote