Transport from Fl to New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panacea123

Vessel Name
Panacea
Vessel Make
Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
I would like to take my 42’ Trawler from Florida to New York to spend a few years in the Great Lakes. Canada and Michigan, Wisconsin etc.

Would like to transport by ship rather than run up the ICW by myself. (Single handed).
Don’t want to go through the hassle of overland transport, just ship by water.
Will not hire a Capt’n to run my boat

Any suggestions on a transport co would be appreciated.
Have had my fill of the ICW and Bahamas.
Just want to be in the Great Lakes and enjoy.
Thanks!

Why not look into finding or hiring some crew to do the trip? That way you can still do it by water, but you won't have to single-hand it.

Why not look into finding or hiring some crew to do the trip? That way you can still do it by water, but you won't have to single-hand it.

Just not interested in the trip.
ICW bores me.
I have enough friends that would join me on the trip.
Just want to be there, may end up doing that, but want options on shipping.
Thanks

Try United Yacht Transport and ask who they would recommend. One of the difficulties for shipping by ship domestically, the big ship has to be a US flagged vessel because of the Jones Act and I’m not sure how many ships can move vessels from US port to US port.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Cradle it on a barge? No matter how this works out you're going to spend a lot of $$$.

This place came highly recommended https://www.richiesboathauling.com/ They were extremely help and very up front about all cost involved in potentially moving a boat for me. They do a good number of runs down south. You maybe able to get a break on cost if they have a return trip with no load to haul. A phone call never hurts.

This place came highly recommended https://www.richiesboathauling.com/ They were extremely help and very up front about all cost involved in potentially moving a boat for me. They do a good number of runs down south. You maybe able to get a break on cost if they have a return trip with no load to haul. A phone call never hurts.

<<Our Ram 5500 truck can haul up to 15,500lbs with our 2014 Hostar Goldstar 3400 hydraulic trailer>>

I think OP is going to need more than that.

He said he didn’t want to go over the road. He would most likely have to remove his flybridge and the sundeck hardtop to truck it. Then you have a lot of problems with water leaks and electrical.

OP may want to consider the alternative of selling and buying up there...... May be a seriously more economical option, as in not silly expensive.

<<Our Ram 5500 truck can haul up to 15,500lbs with our 2014 Hostar Goldstar 3400 hydraulic trailer>>

I think OP is going to need more than that.
They have a lot more equipment available than that.

He said he didn’t want to go over the road. He would most likely have to remove his flybridge and the sundeck hardtop to truck it. Then you have a lot of problems with water leaks and electrical.
Ah yes, I see that. Through the water or overland. I see no other choices.

Really no good "other" options other then buy something up there, maybe even rent a place on land and get something smaller to explore. Now with ABNB and VRBO you can rent for a month etc. Good luck, good problem to have in life!

I would like to take my 42’ Trawler from Florida to New York to spend a few years in the Great Lakes. Canada and Michigan, Wisconsin etc.

Would like to transport by ship rather than run up the ICW by myself. (Single handed).
Don’t want to go through the hassle of overland transport, just ship by water.
Will not hire a Capt’n to run my boat

Any suggestions on a transport co would be appreciated.
Have had my fill of the ICW and Bahamas.
Just want to be in the Great Lakes and enjoy.
Thanks!

You've eliminated all the good options in your post. No overland, not on it's own bottom. No ships are transporting within the US due to the Jones Act and no regular routes up the East Coast even to Canada, although plenty of ships out there. You'd have to get a cradle built and then ship it by a regular US flagged vessel, which will run you two to three times what a foreign flagged ship would cost. Only a couple of leading US flagged shipping companies and their experience with boats is pretty nil. Perhaps contact regular shipping companies and look for someone who ships to Montreal or Toronto from Florida. Still have to build a cradle and find someone to insure.

You're sure doing it the hard way.

You've eliminated all the good options in your post. No overland, not on it's own bottom. No ships are transporting within the US due to the Jones Act and no regular routes up the East Coast even to Canada, although plenty of ships out there. You'd have to get a cradle built and then ship it by a regular US flagged vessel, which will run you two to three times what a foreign flagged ship would cost. Only a couple of leading US flagged shipping companies and their experience with boats is pretty nil. Perhaps contact regular shipping companies and look for someone who ships to Montreal or Toronto from Florida. Still have to build a cradle and find someone to insure.

You're sure doing it the hard way.

Thanks verified this morning.
Jones Act eliminates by ship.
Height eliminates by land.

Only option is to make the trip!

I know a licensed capt you can trust, pm if interested

Thanks verified this morning.
Jones Act eliminates by ship.
Height eliminates by land.

Only option is to make the trip!

Height doesn't eliminate by land. Simply means some removal but that's done all the time. Still, my preference would be on it's own bottom.

That trip can be made with three inshore legs if the weather cooperates plus the trip across Florida on the Okeechobee, or 2-3 weeks if on the ICW. You are getting to near the time when the weather will be a problem offshore.

David

I hate to sound snarky, but why even bother responding to posts like these? OP has defined the question in a way that there clearly is no acceptable answer. Why bother (myself included)?

That trip can be made with three inshore legs if the weather cooperates plus the trip across Florida on the Okeechobee, or 2-3 weeks if on the ICW. You are getting to near the time when the weather will be a problem offshore.

David

Wifey B: You are getting to near the time when the weather will be a problem inshore. This is a trip for spring. Can't make it to the Great Lakes now. A month from now you'll be hitting low 50's by day and into the 30's at night. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Ahm, Because he asked for suggestions?

Yes, but he excluded all suggestions in his request. He said, no captain, not himself, no trucking. That only left domestic freight ships and that's the least practical of all possibilities.

But it seems he didn't know that. And now he does, so you helped. That's why we answer the questions

And why can't a boat be run in 30-50 degree temps? :)

I agree most are moving the other way, but some start snowboarding in December....I did it for 5 years.

Have you considered traveling with a licensed Captain who has made the trip before?
Chances are you could learn a few things along the way.
Do not be surprised if you enter a private channel and you discover the color of the nav aids are reversed. That seems to be the habit. SMILE That way, you know the channel IS privately maintained.

Last edited:
Got few miles iunder my belt, never saw markers " reversed" on purpose or by accident.

Some state marked channels are hard to figure out because they may not have numbers on them...and "returning from sea" and transitioning from a USCG marked channel may not be obvious....but knowingly going into these specific areas should not be hard to figure out or ask what should be from a local assistance tow company.

Got few miles iunder my belt, never saw markers " reversed" on purpose or by accident.

Some state marked channels are hard to figure out because they may not have numbers on them...and "returning from sea" and transitioning from a USCG marked channel may not be obvious....but knowingly going into these specific areas should not be hard to figure out or ask what should be from a local assistance tow company.

They are non-official nav-aids. I ran into one more than a few years back.... a totally dug and maintained channel.... ease up and ran into dirt with the red homemade nav aids on the starboard bow. LOL Was years later I realized, I no doubt would have found clear water if I had put the red on the port bow, I would have found deep water.
No real problem, we found a 'properly' mark channel.

And why can't a boat be run in 30-50 degree temps? :)

I agree most are moving the other way, but some start snowboarding in December....I did it for 5 years.

Wifey B: Can be. We've done it. However, not ideal time to make that trip. Plus accompanied often by less than ideal sea conditions. Short days, especially as you get further north. And, make sure you've planned your marina and fuel stops for places that will not only be open but have all services available. Other than that, close up, turn the heat up, and enjoy the lack of crowds. :)

In the winter time, the water in the Great Lakes is too thick to boat. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom