Old 10-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #21
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I hate to sound snarky, but why even bother responding to posts like these? OP has defined the question in a way that there clearly is no acceptable answer. Why bother (myself included)?
Ahm, Because he asked for suggestions?
Old 10-28-2019, 09:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Yes, but he excluded all suggestions in his request. He said, no captain, not himself, no trucking. That only left domestic freight ships and that's the least practical of all possibilities.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
But it seems he didn't know that. And now he does, so you helped. That's why we answer the questions
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:44 AM   #24
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
And why can't a boat be run in 30-50 degree temps?

I agree most are moving the other way, but some start snowboarding in December....I did it for 5 years.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:13 AM   #25
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Have you considered traveling with a licensed Captain who has made the trip before?
Chances are you could learn a few things along the way.
Do not be surprised if you enter a private channel and you discover the color of the nav aids are reversed. That seems to be the habit. SMILE That way, you know the channel IS privately maintained.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #26
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Got few miles iunder my belt, never saw markers " reversed" on purpose or by accident.

Some state marked channels are hard to figure out because they may not have numbers on them...and "returning from sea" and transitioning from a USCG marked channel may not be obvious....but knowingly going into these specific areas should not be hard to figure out or ask what should be from a local assistance tow company.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Got few miles iunder my belt, never saw markers " reversed" on purpose or by accident.

Some state marked channels are hard to figure out because they may not have numbers on them...and "returning from sea" and transitioning from a USCG marked channel may not be obvious....but knowingly going into these specific areas should not be hard to figure out or ask what should be from a local assistance tow company.
They are non-official nav-aids. I ran into one more than a few years back.... a totally dug and maintained channel.... ease up and ran into dirt with the red homemade nav aids on the starboard bow. LOL Was years later I realized, I no doubt would have found clear water if I had put the red on the port bow, I would have found deep water.
No real problem, we found a 'properly' mark channel.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
And why can't a boat be run in 30-50 degree temps?

I agree most are moving the other way, but some start snowboarding in December....I did it for 5 years.
Wifey B: Can be. We've done it. However, not ideal time to make that trip. Plus accompanied often by less than ideal sea conditions. Short days, especially as you get further north. And, make sure you've planned your marina and fuel stops for places that will not only be open but have all services available. Other than that, close up, turn the heat up, and enjoy the lack of crowds.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #29
Guru

In the winter time, the water in the Great Lakes is too thick to boat. LOL
Old 10-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #30
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
In the winter time, the water in the Great Lakes is too thick to boat. LOL
Nothing that can't be solved with a strong enough hull and big enough engines
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yes, but he excluded all suggestions in his request. He said, no captain, not himself, no trucking. That only left domestic freight ships and that's the least practical of all possibilities.
He didn't exclude running outside on initial post. He excluded ICW and hiring a Captain only.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #32
Guru

I employed a Captain to help bring down my N46 from Long Island to Ft Lauderdale. He learned a few things from me and I learned he was a drunk.
We spent most of time outside at WOT. Every night, I'd go to bed (I had the day watch), he'd get drunk. outside, on autopilot, 4 mile out from shore, I was not too concerned. I still did not like it and I would not employ him again. Was a captain recommended by the broker.
Get references and check them too.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:49 AM   #33

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Nav aids are reversed on the ICW in a few places. When the ICW comes into a river, that become the predominate marker and returns to red, right, returning. The ICW normally has red markers on the mainland side with green towards the ocean but that changes when you go upriver in numerous locations.

The Jones Act prevents foreign flag vessels from transporting cargo from one US port to another US port. Shipping can be done from the Bahamas (Freeport) to the US northeast or from Florida to Canada but both routes are limited. I suggest checking with SevenStar to ask for suggestions,
Old 10-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #34
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Questions generally have question marks at the end of the sentence, such as: "Does anyone know of a safe and reliable way to get my boat from Florida to NY? I'm leery about hiring a delivery captain, and can't get it up by myself? Is shipping an option?"

Instead of "Don’t want to go through the hassle of overland transport, just ship by water. Will not hire a Capt’n to run my boat."
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Questions generally have question marks at the end of the sentence, such as: "Does anyone know of a safe and reliable way to get my boat from Florida to NY? I'm leery about hiring a delivery captain, and can't get it up by myself? Is shipping an option?"

Instead of "Don’t want to go through the hassle of overland transport, just ship by water. Will not hire a Capt’n to run my boat."
Then, invite a friend or two to assist you on the water.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:

Not sure of your point. Are you correcting my grammar, use of question mark or other?
Old 10-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #37
Guru

Personally, I'd rather take it north on its bottom. If you don't have a week or two then you will miss all the fun of traveling the ICW and time outside at night. Go outside about 2 or 3 miles, put it on auto pilot and stare at the stars and the moon.

Consider inviting a boating friend.... or even a non-boating friend, to train.
Plan your marina stops, fuel stops and stops to replenish your perishables and special treats.

Of course you will share the cooking and cleaning.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #38
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Not sure of your point. Are you correcting my grammar, use of question mark or other?
Apologies SoF - no offense meant. I just don't think the OP is/was interested in insight or the questions would have been, well, questions. I should have just kept my fingers off the keyboard and moved on.

Personally, I appreciate the insight of the many very senior members of this forum.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #39

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I employed a Captain to help bring down my N46 from Long Island to Ft Lauderdale. He learned a few things from me and I learned he was a drunk.
We spent most of time outside at WOT. Every night, I'd go to bed (I had the day watch), he'd get drunk. outside, on autopilot, 4 mile out from shore, I was not too concerned. I still did not like it and I would not employ him again. Was a captain recommended by the broker.
Get references and check them too.
Of course now you can look back and laugh but I bet that was very frustrating.
I think I would have dropped him off at the next port.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
Of course now you can look back and laugh but I bet that was very frustrating.
I think I would have dropped him off at the next port.
Nope, I don't laugh.

His next client showed up a day early, the capt and his wife chewed out the new owner for being early. Oh, he was drunk too. I suspect the new owners told him to leave the boat.