Old 11-11-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Transparent roller blind thermal / cold insulation

Hi, Do you have any experience?

Last summer, I was discussing a boater who had a bronze color roller blind and he said they were very effective in preventing a boat from rising in heat when the sun was shining. In addition, they helped in cold weather to keep heat and made it comfortable to be close to a big cold window.

They promise to reject up to 87% of the solar heat and respectively isolate heat from the boat Windows .

Roller blinds still have one feature to prevent reflection from the sea and so on. Do you have the experience and potential for similar sales in the US

https://www.solasolv.com/solasolv-tr...arine-vessels/

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Obviously blocking the rays from entering the glass is **much** more effective at preventing heat gain.

And of course any covering over the bare glass will slow down inside heat from escaping, but with an open gap all around the edges, the insulation value will be minimal.

The difference may be "enough" (subjective) in mild conditions, but not in extreme, especially cold ones.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Although not necessarily in a roller blind, the 3M automotive films reject close to the same amount of heat and UV and cut glare significantly depending on the shade. I have used this on 3 windows and it is amazing.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716668&rt=rud
Old 11-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Yes film attached directly to glass is very effective at rejecting heat entry.

Soon as the greenhouse effect / wavelength conversion has been allowed into the living space, the barrier after an open gap is just relocating the heat a bit.

Insulating against cold outside requires lots more than a thin film.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Looks to me like the Solasolv screen is a (semi-)permanent attachment (not roll-up), whereas the Rolasolv product is roll-up/down opaque blinds.

?

-Chris
Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #6

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
I had mylar shades on rollers made to fit all the pilothouse windows on my last boat. The reason I had them made was to reduce glare and not so much to prevent heat entry or loss as I worked in PNW waters. I was at the wheel, day in day out from dawn til dusk chasing albacore tuna and I was finding that the glare was having an affect on my ability to stay awake. I tried using those automobile ones that are black with lots of little holes in them, they worked somewhat but really cut down on visibility, which was bad when you are working among a fleet of boats. Finally bit the bullet and had these shades custom made to fit window frames (can be mounted inside frames or over top of frames). The effect was significant. Side benefit was that the interior woodwork suffered less sun damage. These shades do act to reduce glare (sun doesn't even have to be bright to cause glare) so it's like wearing sunglasses but at least when later in the day (or early in the morning) you can raise them and get better visibility. There is some distortion if you are using binoculars. I would recommend the roll up kind as opposed to the film you apply against the glass, as that offers permanent shading so can limit night vision.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #7

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
Although not necessarily in a roller blind, the 3M automotive films reject close to the same amount of heat and UV and cut glare significantly depending on the shade. I have used this on 3 windows and it is amazing.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716668&rt=rud
Allan...man...you're in Canada. Isn't worrying about what best reflects heat better up there like asking the best wood stove in Phoenix?
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #8
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
Allan...man...you're in Canada. Isn't worrying about what best reflects heat better up there like asking the best wood stove in Phoenix?
No, believe or not Southern Ontario is really hot for about 3 months in the summer and the AC runs pretty much non stop. Our humidity is much higher as well. I know a lot of people think we ski all year round but it's not so.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:09 AM   #9
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Thanks to your answers,

the 3M film could be economical for all the page windows and roller blind installation pilot house at least bow-oriented windows. Last summer was here exceptionally warm and my tug is not equipped with cooling because here is often not too much heat.

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
No, believe or not Southern Ontario is really hot for about 3 months in the summer and the AC runs pretty much non stop. Our humidity is much higher as well. I know a lot of people think we ski all year round but it's not so.
Ha..who'd a thunk. I thought you guys were born with ear muffs on.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Ha..who'd a thunk. I thought you guys were born with ear muffs on.
Look closer at a map.

Ontario's southern border isn't the 49th parallel like the western Provinces, it's actually below the 42nd parallel, or just south of California's northern border
Old 11-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #12
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
How much does the tinting reduce the visibility? I have shades that snap on and are fine when not underway, would like an alternative. Cost of shades vs film?
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Look closer at a map.

Ontario's southern border isn't the 49th parallel like the western Provinces, it's actually below the 42nd parallel, or just south of California's northern border
Yeah..I hear you guys saying that stuff all the time. It ain't true. You're just looking at the map tilted. Hey..aren't you the country that has curling as a national sport?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #14
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Yeah..I hear you guys saying that stuff all the time. It ain't true. You're just looking at the map tilted. Hey..aren't you the country that has curling as a national sport?
Nope. Curling is a pastime, not a sport, because they don't throw body checks or hit each other with their brooms. Box lacrosse (a more violent, slashing, cross checking version of field lacrosse which you wusses play ) is our national sport.