Transpac Eagle 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kokopelliTim

Vessel Name
boatless
During the recent snowstorm and confinement in the house, I spent time (probably too much time) looking at boats and dreaming ;)

I came across the Transpac Eagle 32. Now I have a friend who used to have an Eagle 40, but this 32 has begun to intrigue me.

But I can't seem to find too much about it as I search online.

So I come to the experts:

For those who might be familiar with this boat, what do you think about this vessel and size?

Any particular issues with an Eagle boat? and a 32?

I notice two for sale on boattrader: varied different size engines: what is best for this size vessel?

Is the v-berth "easy" to get in and out? (I am late 50's and moved from a sailboat to a trawler for the ease of getting in and out of bed)

I just want to know about this vessel.

Thanks for your input.

Tim

Great boat kobo,
Most are very overpowered and most of those that aren’t have the 4cyl FL engine. Never been aboard a boat w one running but hear they are shakers. If I was to find one powered w the 55hp JH Yanmar I’d consider it about the most perfect boat.

Engine access quite likely is poor but wheelhouse is perfect as is the abbreviated FB. The only type I like on small boats. There’s an Eagle 32 on the next float over and I admire it often.

An Eagle 32 does have fine lines and just a nice looking vessel!

What do you specifically like about your Eagle (as compared to other trawlers)?

Is the engine as noisy as some say?

What kind of power do you have?

What kind of fuel consumption?

How do you find using a v-berth?

Thanks.

I've had the Eagle 32 on my list too. Seems like an ideal coastal or Loop boat for two. The more I think about it, the more I value the pilot house design. The Eagle 32 and 40 models even have wide (2 person?) seats at both helms. Ideal, for me anyway.

I've been thinking that my ideal boat might be an Eagle 32 project boat that needs repowered, though the cost of repowering seems exorbitant. Still. In addition to repowering with a new, efficient, and small diesel like the Yanmar or Hyundai and upgrading the electronics, I'd like to make the following interior changes.

• Convert V-berth to island queen
  • Convert port settee to facing dinette
  • Remove starboard bunks/couch with individual chairs
  • Modernize the galley countertops
  • Upgrade head to vacuum flush

Lots of labor on my part there too. Is that biting off too much?

Boat has FL SP135, runs smooth and low noise. Noise is not an issue.
Burns about 1.7 g/h at 7k.
Pilot doors p and s
Wide walk around decks
Comfortable interior layout
Generous water and fuel capacity
Very stable and dry
Quality construction, solid glass below waterline
Simple and low cost to maintain
Quality interior workmanship
Great access to engine room
Full keel with rudder shoe
Quality refer and stove
Limited bright work
Quality and leak free Windows
Large v birth

This company made quality sail boats for about 20 years prior to making trawlers.

My wife and I checked out the one in Maryland.
The V-Berth seemed a bit tight.
In nice shape, exterior wood needs work, a few spots in the gel coat that caught my eye.
We might take another look at it.
Greg

Great boat kobo,
Most are very overpowered and most of those that aren’t have the 4cyl FL engine. Never been aboard a boat w one running but hear they are shakers.

Yes, they are great boats. And yes, most 4 cylinder diesels, except JD and IVECO which have built in balance shafts, really shake. I've have installed a lot of FL and Cummins fours and now the Kabota based Tier III BETA 85 and the solution to shaking is three point engine mounting.
9k=
9k=

Bowman used to make a bolt on yoke for the FL four and I now fabricate them for Cummins and BETA fours. With a thrust bearing and carden shaft plus soft mounts, usually Cushyfloat 55's, they feel like an electric drive.

Last edited:
Boat has FL SP135, runs smooth and low noise. Noise is not an issue.
Burns about 1.7 g/h at 7k.
Pilot doors p and s
Wide walk around decks
Comfortable interior layout
Generous water and fuel capacity
Very stable and dry
Quality construction, solid glass below waterline
Simple and low cost to maintain
Quality interior workmanship
Great access to engine room
Full keel with rudder shoe
Quality refer and stove
Limited bright work
Quality and leak free Windows
Large v birth

This company made quality sail boats for about 20 years prior to making trawlers.

Old deckhand;
YOu almost convince me to look very close at these vessels.
YOu do have very good words to say.

I am finding as I search around that folks either have very good OR very bad words about an Eagle 32

As in most things...it is what you expect/want and then compare it to in your life experience.

It dies seem form others' comments that it does REALLY matter the size, type of engine in the particular boat....might this be the case?

Would the cost be prohibitive to exchange engines to a "better" type?

Thanks.

Tim, I am no expert on engines. The only 4 cylinder I owner was a yanmar and it did not have a shaking problem. I have only done one repower, an 8.2 to a Perkins Sabra 6 cylinder. I have noted Bill and Stella post on this site and are most knowledgable about small engines. The 32 is a much smaller boat then your present boat but is a great two person boat. It will comfortably seat 5/6 for dinner but is truly a one cabin boat for overnight. I was shopping for a Nordic tug 32 or perhaps a GB 32 when I found and bought the Eagle 32. I found the GB to be a wet boat and the narrower bean of the NT to not perform as well in the ocean and the cabin sides made for greatly narrow side decks. No attempt to convince you to purchase any boat, just an attempt to answer your questions. Enjoy boat shopping.

I've had the Eagle 32 on my list too. Seems like an ideal coastal or Loop boat for two. The more I think about it, the more I value the pilot house design. The Eagle 32 and 40 models even have wide (2 person?) seats at both helms. Ideal, for me anyway.

I've been thinking that my ideal boat might be an Eagle 32 project boat that needs repowered, though the cost of repowering seems exorbitant. Still. In addition to repowering with a new, efficient, and small diesel like the Yanmar or Hyundai and upgrading the electronics, I'd like to make the following interior changes.

• Convert V-berth to island queen
  • Convert port settee to facing dinette
  • Remove starboard bunks/couch with individual chairs
  • Modernize the galley countertops
  • Upgrade head to vacuum flush

Lots of labor on my part there too. Is that biting off too much?

HeadedtoTexas

THAT is a lot of a huge rebuild on the inside...seems like a total rebuild!
If you can do the work yourself, of course a big savings.

Curious how you might place a walk around Q bed where the v-berth is presently.....not a lot of room.

But I do love the lines of the Eagle....and such a rebuild as your suggest would TOTALLY enhance the vessel.

What kind of money do you think for a repower?

Tim

Bill and Stella,
Yes the “Cushyfloat” mounts are what AD uses as I recall.
And the three mount system you mention must be w a single mount fwd on CL just ahead of the harmonic balancer. I had 4 soft mounts on a 4cyl Yanmar. The amount of engine movement at idle was amazing. But at higher revs there was a harmonic vib that I never really solved/fixed.
Never seen a three mount system but what a great solution to the 4cyl problem. If my imagination is correct. Any pics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious how you might place a walk around Q bed where the v-berth is presently.....not a lot of room.

I'm curious too, Tim. Not entirely sure without starting in with the tape measure. I've never been in an Eagle 32 to judge the practicality of my ideas. Probably more of a wish list than a plan. That said, I would sacrifice "aisle" space in the forward berth and the "island queen" would be more of an "island trapezoid."

Regarding the repowering, I've read of projects in the $50,000 range. Of course that would be a rule out for my budget, but I am optimistic that it can be done for far less. That said, I am also optimistic when I read about devotees of the Lehman 135 touting its many strengths. Kind of a win-win in that arena.

So in thinking about an Eagle 32:

Are there considerations peculiar to this type of boat/brand that ones needs to look for in inspecting a vessel? Of course a survey, but each brand of boat seems to have peculiarities to look for and be aware of)

Is there an owners group? web links? so one can explore what others have done to these boats?

I cannot even find where on TF the Eagle would live!

These seem to be pretty vessels with potential, a deep love by their owners and just very sea worthy.

I do think I am falling in love with Eagles!!

Thanks.

Tim

Bill and Stella,
Yes the “Cushyfloat” mounts are what AD uses as I recall.
Never seen a three mount system but what a great solution to the 4cyl problem. If my imagination is correct. Any pics?

BETA 85 with 3 point mount in a COOT 38 (Same as Mark's with a island queen FWD and a bigger cockpit.)
4057069886_73FD150F86A960006C062ECEA5E415A5.jpg

FWD mount.
3947069886_AF5D2E6760FBAA52C6F58AC2F6CCCADC.jpg

Carden shaft and SealMaster thrust bearing, like Mark's, and soft mounts provides almost vibration less operation.
2947069886_1FFE325660A316AC43E4364C8AC66D79.jpg

Bill & Stella, thank you for posting the photos. This would be a great engine instal for our boat.

So, further questions on an Eagle 32:

I notice few (that are listed) have generators....is this sort of normal?

They also do not seem to have ac/heaters installed.....or am I just thinking from the perspective of the east coast vs the west coast needs?

I notice some have 90hp engines versus others have 135hp.....will the fuel consumption be THAT much different?

Thanks for the input.

I DO also like the ideas/pics from Bill and Stella....good ideas.

Tim

On generators...our boat is a comparable size and has a 420 amp hour house battery bank.

Smaller boats have smaller fridges, fewer lights (etc) and usually no microwave, no ice maker (etc) so can go longer without recharging the batteries. We can easily go a couple days at anchor without running the main engine to recharge the batteries.

*EDIT* Yes, I know...not fully recharged...

The difference in fuel consumption would become more significant as power is applied.

Last edited:
BETA 85 with 3 point mount in a COOT 38 (Same as Mark's with a island queen FWD and a bigger cockpit.)
4057069886_73FD150F86A960006C062ECEA5E415A5.jpg

FWD mount.
3947069886_AF5D2E6760FBAA52C6F58AC2F6CCCADC.jpg

Carden shaft and SealMaster thrust bearing, like Mark's, and soft mounts provides almost vibration less operation.
2947069886_1FFE325660A316AC43E4364C8AC66D79.jpg

Oh yes Bill I never thought of a mount under the engine. I think it would be more effective if mounted on the same level as the rotating axis .. like just above the crankshaft CL ahead of the engine. Lots to most boats have room ahead of the engine. One could be made of high alloy steel tubing plenty strong. However some of the vibration from the engine could be dampened by the sheer weight of that monstrous “U” bracket in the bracket mount shown.
Never seen the three mount before Bill and I love learning stuff like this. Thanks for the pics too.

We love our Eagle! It's been a huge project but it's definitely been the right boat for us.

To answer a couple questions: I can't imagine there's room for an island berth, and we're going to install air conditioning in ours (not sure if it came with a/c or not; the previous owner may have put in the ductwork). We don't have a generator. The previous owner removed the starboard bunks, and we're going to use that space for more galley countertop/storage and some seating. Happy to answer any questions if I can.

After looking more closely at the beam contours, I would have to agree. And at 32 feet, there's not much to sacrifice to move the berth astern to make room for more width. What about a diagonal queenish width berth?

It looks like there is room on the pilot house roof for solar panels. Do you think you could fit four 2x5 foot panels up there?

Are you putting in conventional marine air conditioning, or air condensed unit(s)? The proximity of the pilot house and forward berth would seem to make the latter practical.

Reworking the salon looks like a great opportunity for personalization. All in all, the Eagle 32 looks like an outstanding project boat.

Power

Bill & Stella, thank you for posting the photos. This would be a great engine instal for our boat.

Deckhand,
Can’t call you old.
What engine do you have?
At WOT how many hundred rpm up or down are you from rated rpm. And at what rpm do you cruise?

Also what’s the Eagles displacement? I’m sure the E is lighter than Mark’s 34’ steel Coot. He has (IMO) more in excess power than I do at 80hp installed. My Willard is slightly overpowered w 40hp and ideal is probably 35-36hp. For the Eagle 10 or 15 hp more than my 40hp should be perfect. The 55hp Yanmar and the 54hp Isuzu fit nicely as do others.

However if one thinks they need more the 135hp FL will do fine. One could probably make 10-11 knots or so w that power. But having the right amount of power 98% of the time is preferable to many and 55hp and a 60% load is .. perfect .. IMO.

Last edited:
Eric,

The FL SP135 WOT is at specs. Usual run is 1500 rpm 6.5 k, boat weight is a little over 8 tons.

Ken

Thanks Deckhand,
Weight bout the same as Willy.
Speed .35 knots higher and way lower rpm. We cruise at 2300.
The E probably takes about 30hp to go 6.5 knots. Just a guess.

I love your avatar!

I appreciate everyone's comments on seemingly this little known but great vessel!

So what might the gph be on Eagle 32 with 90 hp and 135 hp run at moderate cruising speed?

Are there any specific issues a potential buyer needs to be aware of in looking at an Eagle; that are known specific issues with an Eagle?
Fuel tanks?
Specific leak areas?
Potential issues/problem areas?

I do like what i see in an Eagle and I am almost comverted :)

Tim

Transpac;
What projects have you done/doing/will do on your vessel?

Did you know of these issues when I bought her?

Can you send pics of the space you will build the added galley space?

Thanks.

Tim

I have the Lehman SP 90 aboard my 1985 Eagle 32. Burns 1.13 gal/hr at 1900 (6.5 kts) rpm. Sweet spot seems to be between 1900-2100 rpm. Have 100 gal SS fuel tank. Does shake a bit at lower rpms, may replace motor mounts this spring to see if that tones down shake.

HeadedToTexas: The integrated water tank is beneath the berth on our boat, so there's no real opportunity for customizing. But I think there were a couple different berth configurations on this model (?). To answer an earlier question honestly, it's not super easy to get out of bed. We're hoping that keeps us limber..!? I'll ask Andrew about the solar panels and air conditioning and post that info later.

Tim: We knew all the issues when we bought her. Lots of water damage and neglect from the first owner. The second owner added an awesome swim platform. The big first-year projects included repairing a leaking fuel tank, fixing the steering, and pulling up all the teak on the decks. It was in terrible shape and frankly not so comfortable underfoot. Painted the exterior after lots (and lots) of patching and sanding. Removed some of the bad wood from the salon.

Year two has included reconfiguring the pilot house (we moved the aft ladder and added steps on port and starboard sides, and had new railings built). This has really freed up space and traffic on the aft deck.

I should mention we aren't cruising yet and we do a lot of entertaining: we typically have 6-12 folks on the boat at a time and putter out to Lake Michigan or drop anchor in a cove. Also, Andrew is a boat designer at Tiara Yachts, so the interior is starting to look more like a Tiara than a trawler (apologies to trawler purists!).

I added some pics on our profile...can you view those? I'm new here and not sure about the best way to share photos. :) I'll take some photos of the galley and post them.

--Kate & Andrew

Thanks Kate. Sounds like good progress so far. Ladder access to the fly bridge has been on the rule out list for us, but given enough other positives (like the Eagle 32 has), I would find a way to add stairs. Like you guys already did! Very nice. Care to share pictures?

I was in Grand Haven last week. Looking forward to spring!

Transpac!

WOW! You do have a very nice looking vessel. I like how you are transforming her to be YOUR boat.
Very good looking workmanship.

Thanks for sharing.

Tim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom