Transom throttle control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

Been thinking of a transom throttle control.

I often operate the boat solo, and occasionally have a hard time docking, especially stern first.
How much of a help would a transom throttle control help?

OC Diver? You run solo, what do you think?

I already have a remote bow/stern thruster control and a remote AP control, which helps.

Or perhaps would a camera be a better option.

Thoughts?

A couple of stern cameras may be all you need. I have been on a 400 and if I remember correctly the sight lines aren’t good to the stern. My boat either. I would like to add some stern cameras but I can’t figure out which wireless cameras will work with my Raymarine e127 MFD. Don’t want to pay for Raymarine brand cameras.

Kobelt makes multi station controls. Mostly used in larger boats or commercial vessels. I have their pneumatic controls. They also have electronic and push/pull.
The brochure is too big (5.5mb) for Trawlers site uploading, but if interested: Electronic.pneumatic.push-pull.propulsion.controls.
Th electronic controls allow several shift/throttle stations with a small wire run.

Attachments

• Kobelt controls.JPG
    Kobelt controls.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 564
A couple of stern cameras may be all you need. I have been on a 400 and if I remember correctly the sight lines aren’t good to the stern. My boat either. I would like to add some stern cameras but I can’t figure out which wireless cameras will work with my Raymarine e127 MFD. Don’t want to pay for Raymarine brand cameras.

I'd LOVE to have a reasonable "backup" camera but can't find one, either for Ipad or my Simrad plotter. Ideas?

I've observed a small tugboat at Victoria, Vancouver Island, with an open helm near and facing the stern in addition to the normal pilothouse helm, used to maneuver fuel barges.

Backup camera would be a nice addition but I would still add aft station controls. Not really difficult.

One step from my helm the view from the deck is good.

A backup camera that hangs on a license plate holder is about$100.00

Video clips on to rear view mirror , wireless.

All,

Been thinking of a transom throttle control.

I often operate the boat solo, and occasionally have a hard time docking, especially stern first.
How much of a help would a transom throttle control help?

OC Diver? You run solo, what do you think?

I already have a remote bow/stern thruster control and a remote AP control, which helps.

Or perhaps would a camera be a better option.

Thoughts?

Running a second shift and throttle control is a bit of work, but so worth it. My helm is a single lever as is the docking station. The docking station lever has 2 cables, so you are pulling the helm station lever in either direction. This is much easier than trying to push a single cable.

I have a 28" propeller that moves the boat easily at idle. That combined with a large rudder that I can turn 40 degrees, is all that's usually required to dock my boat. However, when there's some wind or current, you have to be able to bump up the throttle.

When approaching fuel docks or starboard side tie transient docks, I much prefer to navigate up to and dock from the stern station. It gives me much better visibility along the whole starboard side and easier access to the pier for single handing dock lines.

Old picture before the refit.
MC33.jpg

Up close.
DSCN1542.jpg

Ted

Running a second shift and throttle control is a bit of work, but so worth it. My helm is a single lever as is the docking station. The docking station lever has 2 cables, so you are pulling the helm station lever in either direction. This is much easier than trying to push a single cable.

I have a 28" propeller that moves the boat easily at idle. That combined with a large rudder that I can turn 40 degrees, is all that's usually required to dock my boat. However, when there's some wind or current, you have to be able to bump up the throttle.

When approaching fuel docks or starboard side tie transient docks, I much prefer to navigate up to and dock from the stern station. It gives me much better visibility along the whole starboard side and easier access to the pier for single handing dock lines.

Old picture before the refit.
View attachment 74635

Up close.
View attachment 74636

Ted

Ted,

GREAT info, thx. I assume that handle pulls your level at the helm and controls throttle and shift, correct. (That's not a steering arm?) Looks like you have thruster control, too.

For me, adding an additional throttle/shift unit is dirt simple. I have the Glendinning controls, so I simple buy and extra control, run a power line to the "smart" controller in the bilge (that operates the throttle/shift) and plug it in. Mount the unit on the transom and I'm done. Could probably be done in a few hours, including building a ledge for it. Cost is around $1000.

I've got a remote thruster control and a remote autopilot control. The remote thruster works GREAT, but don't use the AP control much.

I've got a lot of mixed feelings from fellow boaters on how valuable a transom control would be so I really appreciate your comments, as you're the one that would really know soloing that big boat. And these comments are from experienced boaters, but none have had a transom control.

My newly acquired boat has a product called “Docking Master” and it’s a great . With the remote unit I can go anyplace on the boat and control forward/reverse, bow thruster, stern thruster (and also control the windless). Great system and so far fool proof. In docking this is cheating.

I think I'm getting convinced.

Also, would be handy when locking.

My newly acquired boat has a product called “Docking Master” and it’s a great . With the remote unit I can go anyplace on the boat and control forward/reverse, bow thruster, stern thruster (and also control the windless). Great system and so far fool proof. In docking this is cheating.

Lord, give me the strength to leave this alone.

Ted

I assume that handle pulls your level at the helm and controls throttle and shift, correct. (That's not a steering arm?) Looks like you have thruster control, too.

Yes, the lever pulls the throttle and shift at the helm. Yes, have the bow thruster and autopilot jog lever.

I've got a remote thruster control and a remote autopilot control. The remote thruster works GREAT, but don't use the AP control much.

If you don't have a stern thruster, you want to be able to turn the rudder to push the stern over for "Back and Fill". With my big rudder hard over 40 degrees, I can bump the transmission forward while leaning on the bow thruster, to push the boat sideways with very little forward motion. This is very handy for side docking in a tight spot or moving away from the dock. It takes some practice, but is very effective. I've heard comments from "unfair" to "cheating". :)

Ted

Big fish
Interesting setup. Did you or PO install it? If not done already. Might I suggest a spare remote?

BTW, that Model of GB is one of my favorites. What engines? I looked at one a few years that had twin JD 1225s

If playing fair means bouncing off the docks or worse, off other's boats I think I'd rather cheat. With our single screw, using the bow thruster and reverse with the rudder hard over will move the boat sideways with very little reverse motion. From the fly bridge I have excellent vision of the whole boat, so I don't feel the need for a stern setup.

Yes, the lever pulls the throttle and shift at the helm. Yes, have the bow thruster and autopilot jog lever.

If you don't have a stern thruster, you want to be able to turn the rudder to push the stern over for "Back and Fill". With my big rudder hard over 40 degrees, I can bump the transmission forward while leaning on the bow thruster, to push the boat sideways with very little forward motion. This is very handy for side docking in a tight spot or moving away from the dock. It takes some practice, but is very effective. I've heard comments from "unfair" to "cheating". :)

Ted

Ted,

I'll take all the help I can get, even if it's called cheating. I've got both bow and stern thrusters and a "thistle" mod on my rudder. With the cockpit controls, I'd angle the rudder to favor the side I'd need "bumping" to and use the thruster to help.

Right now, backing in stern first is a gamble when I'm solo. Too hard to see the back of the boat so with much of a wind or current, I pass and go int bow first. I have some good dock hands where I patronize and some bad ones, so that's a gamble.

When I'm with the Admiral, she operates the power and wheel under my direction and I operate the thrusters (via headset). And that works quite well, but often there's a delay with a command and the action, so I have to anticipate and can't get behind. We have a set of commands and we tend to improve them so we both understand exactly what to do. Forward one is one second in forward gear and back to neutral.... Forward two is 2 seconds, Forward 2 plus is 2 seconds a notch above idle, etc., etc. Constantly improving that.

Always looking for a better way...... (I'm gonna love my cockpit controls) :)

Does the Docking Master Remote float???

Big fish
Interesting setup. Did you or PO install it? If not done already. Might I suggest a spare remote?

BTW, that Model of GB is one of my favorites. What engines? I looked at one a few years that had twin JD 1225s

Ted

“Lord, give me the strength to leave this alone”.

Now don’t be a hater, I know your jealous of all the thru hulls I have, all the extra maintenance I have to do, all the steering stations I have, all the fuel I need to carry and now the fabulous portable docking station that I can anchor the boat 300 feet from the dock, raise the anchor and bring to boat right to the dick so I can board. How many times would that have been nice after some beers. LMFAO

Bones the remote is water proof and they tell me it will float.

Sunchaser The PO installed the Docking Master, I bought a new remote from the company. The engines are Cummins QSM11, 705 hp. Cruise at 17+ knots. After following Extremely Slow Hand for a few miles going to Ft Pierce running one engine and that in neutral part of the time I realize I need more speed probably because I’m old .

I think a cockpit throttle control is a great idea.

It's has been on my project list for quite some time. I have a removable tiller for cockpit steering, and throttle/shift control would make single handed docking in windy conditions so much easier.

It would mean I wouldn't have to move to loop the spring line over the dock cleat.

Some people really love their boat. :smitten:

Docking Master looks pretty nice...

Ted

“Lord, give me the strength to leave this alone”.

Bones the remote is water proof and they tell me it will float.

I spoke to the guy at Docking Master and he said that the range is about 300 feet, but didn't say what happens when you go beyond that...

Said the cost of the unit is about $7800 and goes up from there, depending on what model you get and the complexity of the install.

I'm glad it floats because, with my luck, mine would be on the bottom in no time.

I'm not sure I'd try any James Bond maneuvers with it though. :)

Glad not to have "hot dog" boaters here.

These guys go on tour as a number of towns / cities on the Chesapeake have boat docking contests. Crisfield was where it started at the Labor Day crab derby. They are referred to as "Chesapeake Cowboys".

Ted

After all the input, Im installing the cockpit control. Will take a few weeks to get, and I'll report back on after I get some time with it.

Back
Top Bottom