Old 08-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #61
Veteran Member

City: Florida
We do custom Vinyl work and cut names for people to apply all the time. M/V is assumed based on your boat but like said before, if you included it to the Coast Guard they will most likely not make the assumption and just put it as you wrote it. With that in mind, it needs to appear on your boat just as you supplied it to the coast guard.

Hope this and other have helped
Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #62
Guru

No matter how the name is spelled, with or without MV, MY or SV, one important consideration is to make sure the name is readable and not obscured by a hanging dinghy or other blocking item.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #63

City: Needham, MA
Vessel Name: Second Act
Vessel Model: Senator 35
Also, make sure you meet the Coast Guard required height of the lettering for your boat name and hailing port. The minimum height for lettering is 4" for both the name and hailing port.

I was boarded once and they actually measured my hailing port letters. Thankfully, I was OK.
jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #64
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptydel1 View Post
i think my pretentious ass is going to put it on. Thanks for all the imput. M/V Windward out.
As long as it makes you happy.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #65

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Laa-Dee-Dah
Vessel Model: 64’ Grand Banks Aleutian
You need the name of the vessel as documented as well as a hailing port on the transom.

Note that the hailing port does not have to be a home port but a location with the US, it's territories posessions.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #66

City: Houston
Motor Yachts

KThoennes, (et al)

My observation is that with most trawlers - or even other cruising powerboat designs - the designation "Motor Yacht" is consistently used by the manufacturers for the ones with aft cabin "roofs" that carry all the way to the rails & transom (no side deck aft of the saloon, and no cockpit).

For example, a Grand Banks labeled as GB 46MY has a wider master stateroom than a "Classic", with no side decks back there.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #67

City: Wellington
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptydel1 View Post
We just put our new name on the transom. the boat is named M/V Windward. my question is where does the M/V go?
On the paperwork
It is not the practice in the maritime world to paint MV or SS on a ship
Just the name and hailing port
When I see it occasionally it looks just incorrect!
45 years on commercial vessels and a few yachts!
captgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #68
CTP
Veteran Member

City: Alameda, CA
Vessel Name: HMS Crown (for the time being)
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Imagine my consternation having just bought a boat that has "H.M.S." before the name on the transom. And not just in stick-on lettering, but a large custom carved wooden sign!

M/V in stickers would be WAY less pretentious than this!
CTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #69

City: Wilmington de
Vessel Name: M/V Windward
Vessel Model: 45 Jefferson Sundeck
1. i have been on and around boats all my life also

2. i was just joking.

3. i do apperciate all the good advice.

4. i put the M/V on crooked and took it off, thats why i was wondering if it was even necessary.
5. thanks again and i will NOT be ordering a new one. Windward out.
emptydel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #70

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
Emptydel, whatever you put on the transom is up to you, however please do not refer to your boat as Motor Vessel on the radio. You will cause some innocent tow boat Captain to have a hernia laughing!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #71

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
Windward is the name and M/V is the description when the boat can’t be seen, such as on the radio. Put Windward on there; I guarantee no one, including the CG, will complain that MV isn’t on the transom, even if you made it part of the name on the doc.
Make sure the MV is removable if you do put it on; you will want it gone after you spend more time in the boat world.
Yeah, what he said. ^^^
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:23 AM   #72
FF
Guru

Some folks use RV (research vessel) as they think it will get them something , don't know what.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:25 AM   #73

City: Waitamata
Vessel Name: Karinya
Vessel Model: Pelin
Does all this mean that I should be painting over the words - “super dooper yacht” on the transom of my small, almost trawler this weekend?
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #74
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
I don't think so. I think any power driven vessel that uses an internal combustion engine, or I guess an electric motor for propulsion could be called a motor vessel.

I actually always thought of it as one of the less pretentious identifiers. Motor Yacht sounds more stuffy to me. Pleasure Craft is another one I don't like saying. Power Boat maybe?

To the OP: I'd leave the M/V off myself, but whatever makes you happy!
EDIT/DELETE, should have read the rest of the post before responding. Hate when that happens.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #75
Veteran Member

City: Palatka, Florida
Vessel Name: Neeltje
Vessel Model: 1902 Dutch Tjalk
According to what the C.G. told me, the name of a documented vessel doesn't necessarily have to appear on the transom, but it's got to be visible at all times.

Since Neeltje's bulbous butt is split in two by her oversized rudder, I opted to put her name on the cockpit walls, and her hailing port on either side of said rudder (Palatka / Florida) after her re-paint, and nobody's complained about it yet.

As far as hailing a bridge or marina is concerned, I started our maiden trip up the I.C.W. from Dania beach hailing them as "This is the Dutch Tjalk Neeltje", but after a days worth of bridges and marinas had consistently answered, "Sorry, we don't speak Greek, please repeat", I eventually switched to:

"This is the 64-foot wooden shoe with a telephone pole in the middle, coming your way from the South."

If nothing else, it avoided the bridge tenders from confusing me with any comparably sized Donzi or Cigarette in the area...

PS - WifeyB: Even with that outdated pink bikini, you don't look a day over 39...
Jacques Burgalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #76
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Burgalat View Post
According to what the C.G. told me, the name of a documented vessel doesn't necessarily have to appear on the transom, but it's got to be visible at all times.

Since Neeltje's bulbous butt is split in two by her oversized rudder, I opted to put her name on the cockpit walls, and her hailing port on either side of said rudder (Palatka / Florida) after her re-paint, and nobody's complained about it yet.

As far as hailing a bridge or marina is concerned, I started our maiden trip up the I.C.W. from Dania beach hailing them as "This is the Dutch Tjalk Neeltje", but after a days worth of bridges and marinas had consistently answered, "Sorry, we don't speak Greek, please repeat", I eventually switched to:

"This is the 64-foot wooden shoe with a telephone pole in the middle, coming your way from the South."

If nothing else, it avoided the bridge tenders from confusing me with any comparably sized Donzi or Cigarette in the area...

PS - WifeyB: Even with that outdated pink bikini, you don't look a day over 39...
You meant "64-foot Sailing Vessel Wooden Shoe" right?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #77
Guru

Anyone use the term "Trawler <boat name>" instead of "Motor Vessel" for bridges, etc?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #78
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
All the time, they either know or don't care what a trawler is.

They aren't as uptight as some TFers ...

Then again most experienced boaters I know recognize a traveler too.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #79
Guru

Unless you actually own a trawler many people associate the word "trawler' with a fishing vessel (one that trawls (drags) a net along to catch fish), so bridge tender imay be looking for a vessel with nets!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #80
Veteran Member

City: Palatka, Florida
Vessel Name: Neeltje
Vessel Model: 1902 Dutch Tjalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Anyone use the term "Trawler <boat name>" instead of "Motor Vessel" for bridges, etc?
In my very limited experience with bridge tenders (maybe 30 in all) between Fort Lauderdale and Saint Augustine, I don't recall any other boats around me adding a prefix to their name when and if they called. Many of the bridges we encountered had well established opening schedules, and those that opened on demand often did so either when they saw you approaching, or, in a couple of cases, following a couple of air horn blasts.

The only time I took issue with a bridge keeper was when he told me to pull up as close as possible to his busy bridge before he'd open it, and I had to do so in full reverse to keep the 6-knot tide from behind from pushing me into it when he finally did. My mast missed one of the spans by inches, and no explicatives were spared during the ensuing conversation...
Jacques Burgalat is offline   Reply With Quote