Transmission oil filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsy Spirit

Has anybody tried installing a spin on oil filter to a transmission? It could be installed in the return line from the oil cooler but I am concerned about the increased pressure drop. Does a filter designed for engine oil have the needed porosity size? Cleaner fluid could extend the life of the transmission.

Dan Girvan
Gypsy Spirit
Albin 36

The ZF transmission in my boat has a spin on hydraulic filter. Not quite the same thing as an oil filter (perhaps built to withstand higher pressures).

The only photo I have is the one below (snapped on my phone so I knew which Wix filter to buy).

Good Luck!

Attachments

• Filter498.JPG
    Filter498.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 108
Not on my BW Velvet Drive, but I do have a filter on my hydraulic thruster that uses tranny fluid. I don't know what micron size it is but I could get the name/number off of it if you need it. You could also visit Tractor Supply or a local tractor parts house and see what they use for hydraulic oil filters.
I think a larger line after the filter would help minimize the P drop.
You could always add a pressure gage and learn.
I also had a Hurth tranny that has a course mesh type filter built in. So filtering might be a good idea.

Last edited:
Why complicate your life even more? Just change the oil at the intervals required by the manufacturer. Major manufacturers like Twin Disc don't use filters, which might be a hint?

Why complicate your life even more? Just change the oil at the intervals required by the manufacturer. Major manufacturers like Twin Disc don't use filters, which might be a hint?

Bingo! No need to spend time and money to fix a problem that doesn't exsist.

Yes but some major manufacturers DO use a filter.
And yes, the BW trannys have a magnet in the sump to trap iron particles, but that's as they settle. There is also bronze in there that will settle but not get/stay attracted to the magnet. Same with the fiber that's on the older clutch plates.
I don't know what kind of damage that could do to a bearing.

My ZF's have a built in filter as well, they are stainless and quite porous. I spoke to my local ZF shop about replacing them at my last fluid change. He told me not to bother, just clean them in the parts washer, let them dry and put them back in.

That's what I did, there was no grime, particles or anything on them that I could see.

If you do not now have a filter then you MUST know how the system is plumbed or you could have trouble just adding a filter.

Some gears like mine the pump output [full pressure] goes directly to the gear oil cooler and then back to the gear operating pressure side with no pressure drop. The filter WILL BE subjected to full operating pressure if installed in that circuit If that is the case you need to know or you could exploded the filter. Most spin ons are not rated for much pressure.

My gear, the oil cooler is run at 300psi and can pulse higher. Older T.D. 506 and the book says if a filter is fitted it needs a W.P. of ~ 500psi.

On the filter shown the mfgr. has designed the oil circuit so that filter is in the return so no high pressure.

On a T.D. and those gears that did not come so fitted will likely not be friendly to a spin on.

Last edited:

I heard that of you wear a hat made I'd aluminum foil it will not only protect you from lighting strikes, but also extend the life of your transmission.

I don't know about the new T.D. units but my old 506 did recommend a filter be installed. It was an extra charge accessory though, not included..
I was just going through the manual.

The catch is as mentioned they say it needs to be able to withstand 400psi. A spin on will not stand up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom