transmission fluid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian B

Vessel Name
Kindred Spirts
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34 Trawker
Hi guy`s ; I have a Borg Warner , velvet drive transmission . model 10-17-010, in a 1989 Marine Trader. I have not been able, to find on line, a fluid change schedule or is there a filter that needs to be changed or a strainer to be cleaned . Any thoughts out there ?
Brian B.

Hi guy`s ; I have a Borg Warner , velvet drive transmission . model 10-17-010, in a 1989 Marine Trader. I have not been able, to find on line, a fluid change schedule or is there a filter that needs to be changed or a strainer to be cleaned . Any thoughts out there ?
Brian B.
No filter, no strainer, no drain plug. You will have to suction out the fluid.

Brian B.

No filter. As clutch plates wear, particles will slough off into ATF. When not circulating, particles will fall to sump and form a sludge. Sludge is stable and won't do any harm. During an overhaul sump is cleaned.

I believe most people change their fluid once a year.

(There is a screen inside inlet designed to catch large particles but it's not easily removed and isn't a maintenance item.)

thanx guy`s
I`m on the loop and probably show be a little on the ball changing it more often.
Brian B.

The manual I have for 71 and 72’s says change the oil once a year for pleasure boats and every 1000hrs for workboats.

Ken

Too bad it does not say once per year or every 1000 hours, whichever comes first

True, but it looks like that’s what they mean. I guess they didn’t imagine pleasure boats would be used more than 1000hrs per year.

True, but it looks like that’s what they mean. I guess they didn’t imagine pleasure boats would be used more than 1000hrs per year.

Every couple of years works too.

Yep, change gear oil every few years. No need to get all anal on the schedule. Been around many VD gears where the oil was not changed in 20yrs. Dang things worked fine.

For what it is worth, years ago in the back country, the oil cooler failed and the gear oil was sucked out with the exaust. I had on board, two part metal product that allowed me to patch the cooler to make it home , however not having any auto/trans fluid I dumped in 30 wt motor oil.
When I returned to town and contacted my diesel mechanic , he chuckled at my concern and said that they have for years used motor oil in BW gears. So- that is what I have continued to use without any concerns. That auto trans fluid is recommended is a fact I won't dispute, that you can substitute motor oil in a pinch should be in the memory bank for "In Case".

Al-Ketchikan

For what it is worth, years ago in the back country, the oil cooler failed and the gear oil was sucked out with the exaust. I had on board, two part metal product that allowed me to patch the cooler to make it home , however not having any auto/trans fluid I dumped in 30 wt motor oil.
When I returned to town and contacted my diesel mechanic , he chuckled at my concern and said that they have for years used motor oil in BW gears. So- that is what I have continued to use without any concerns. That auto trans fluid is recommended is a fact I won't dispute, that you can substitute motor oil in a pinch should be in the memory bank for "In Case".

Al-Ketchikan

Yes, the manual indicates oil or ATF depending upon RPM range.

It's been close to 1000 hours for mine. Next time I'll do it sooner, maybe half that.
Here's the sample report.
And I am using 5-30 synthetic blend.

Attachments

• BORG WARNER-TR-190910.pdf
    17.2 KB · Views: 25

My ZF takes 30wt diesel oil. ATF isn't even listed on the plate mounted on the transmission.

Small ZF (mechanical, 63/80/85) take ATF. 220, 280 on up take 30wt engine oil. VD rec's ATF, but 30wt works just fine. Gears are not super picky about the fluid, but don't like water.

Back
Top Bottom