Trans-Atlantic in a semi-disp hull?? Yes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. So we know one has been built, we don't know about sold and delivered. Nice looking boat Beyond that, it has it's pluses and minuses like every boat. Who would like to be the first to buy one and cross the Atlantic in it?

I wouldn’t be afraid to try it.

Possibly because once I got across I would have to option of cruising the Med at speeds greater than 8 knots.

I agree with that but would like to see the boat proven a bit more first. Then I'd at least have to spend some time on it in 10-12' seas just to get an idea on how it might be in far rougher seas.

We're leaving for Bermuda tomorrow. Maybe they'll rush one to us and we can take it on the trip. Problem is no rough seas forecast though.

I agree with that but would like to see the boat proven a bit more first. Then I'd at least have to spend some time on it in 10-12' seas just to get an idea on how it might be in far rougher seas.

We're leaving for Bermuda tomorrow. Maybe they'll rush one to us and we can take it on the trip. Problem is no rough seas forecast though.

I agree with wanting to get out on it in some significant seas before pulling the trigger.

How are you getting to Bermuda? Plane?

I agree with wanting to get out on it in some significant seas before pulling the trigger.

How are you getting to Bermuda? Plane?

Boat. Leave tomorrow morning, arrive on Saturday at a time to be determined. Seas are 3' at 7 and 8 seconds. Possibly a little 4' at the same so nothing but a gentle swell. Wind waves are only 1' and the swell is 2' and 3'. Should be an easy run. We do have family and friends flying in. To get non stop they have to fly out of Miami.

At age 16 Laura Dekker sailed around the world, solo in not that large a boat.

Watch this video if you can in its entirety, it is entertaining and most will admire her. She had to win 8 court cases, the courts wanted to block some one so young from her sail around the world dream.

The next link is to the story of the restoration of the 23 foot sailboat solo skippered by Felicity Ann, the first woman to sail across the Atlantic. The boat never returned to England after the solo journey and was restored somewhere in Puget Sound.

Last year I went to the Victoria Classic Boat Show (BC) and this small boat was on display, her small boat made a huge impression. As others have pointed out, you can cross oceans with just about anything as long as the conditions are benign. One of the problems to surmount in the Victoria (BC) to Maui Race is the doldrums which can settle in, often for days.

The first woman to sail solo across the Atlantic used this boat. Now it's touring Kitsap

Last edited:
Richard , I’m assuming your reference to “paying the bills “ was about the fuel cost consumption? How do you personally define a boat for coastal use as compared to ocean capable...Thanks...

Oops, just saw this.:facepalm:

I generally put boats in three categories:

1. ICW / Inland boats. they can cross a sound safely, but would not do it for any length of time.

2. Coastal cruising. Great for going up and down the coasts. Able to stay out for a couple of days if need be. Able to withstand whatever the ocean can throw at them (summer, NOT winter) for some time until a safe port is reached. Never out of the range of BoatUS or SeaTow! Most SD or SP hull boats are in this category.

3. Ocean Passage Makers. True self sufficiency All the above of 2, with the critical addition of enough fuel to give it a 3,000+ nm range AND enough room in the engine room to be able to work on every system in the boat AND have the spare parts and supplies needed for a month or two month trip away from anything.

Thus, I classify the EllingE6 as number 2 above.

I probably have $10,000 of spare parts, expendables, etc aboard. It takes up much of the engine room space.

In the last 6 years and 25k miles, I've only needed a couple of the thousands of parts, fittings, etc. that I have aboard. But the problem is, one never knows what may be needed in the middle of the Atlantic.:dance:

Lastly, for my sense of well being, it's more important to me how a boat behaves in big storms, 20+ seas in mixed seas than it's ability to roll over.

My KK goes with the seas, she doesn't fight them. We've never had green water over the cap rail. That's what allows me to sleep at night or even on watch:eek:

@Wifey B: lol

Why so mysterious? Do you I have to guess? I know it’s not the RIVA

Wifey B: I like being mysterious. :confused:

Wish the Riva had the range. Oh now...you have me thinking of the next boat I want. An AB, maybe a 100' or 116' with WOT of 53 knots and cruise of 44 knots. Would have to slow down though to make a 1000 mile crossing. Darn. Always have to compromise. At 44 knots it's range is only about 500-550 nm. :mad:

We're only running about 21 knots now. Brief time in the gulf stream we were a bit faster. We vary speed though and a bit slower at night.

Funny, yesterday a captain we know was disparaging as to why anyone would ever want to cross an ocean as we discussed one day crossing the Atlantic. He said "There's nothing to see crossing an ocean and you're stuck out there over a week." God, it's so freaking beautiful out here today and I can't wait until tonight with just us, the moon and the stars and no land in sight. Ooh......hot tub, fly bridge, under the stars and moon....oh I better calm down and not think of that right now. :blush::blush:

Oops, just saw this.:facepalm:

1. ICW / Inland boats. they can cross a sound safely, but would not do it for any length of time.

2. Coastal cruising. Great for going up and down the coasts. Able to stay out for a couple of days if need be. Able to withstand whatever the ocean can throw at them (summer, NOT winter) for some time until a safe port is reached. Never out of the range of BoatUS or SeaTow! Most SD or SP hull boats are in this category.

3. Ocean Passage Makers. True self sufficiency All the above of 2, with the critical addition of enough fuel to give it a 3,000+ nm range AND enough room in the engine room to be able to work on every system in the boat AND have the spare parts and supplies needed for a month or two month trip away from anything.

I probably have $10,000 of spare parts, expendables, etc aboard. It takes up much of the engine room space.

In the last 6 years and 25k miles, I've only needed a couple of the thousands of parts, fittings, etc. that I have aboard. But the problem is, one never knows what may be needed in the middle of the Atlantic.:dance:

Lastly, for my sense of well being, it's more important to me how a boat behaves in big storms, 20+ seas in mixed seas than it's ability to roll over.

My KK goes with the seas, she doesn't fight them. We've never had green water over the cap rail. That's what allows me to sleep at night or even on watch:eek:

The elling does have 3000+ nm of range and is certified class A so it should be able to handle pretty much anything a similar sized nordhavn or Kk can handle in terms of weather. I would say that given the small water tank and holding take it is more suited toward coastal cruising although a water maker and the ability to dump the holding tank would mitigate that limitation.

Wifey B: I like being mysterious. :confused:

Wish the Riva had the range. Oh now...you have me thinking of the next boat I want. An AB, maybe a 100' or 116' with WOT of 53 knots and cruise of 44 knots. Would have to slow down though to make a 1000 mile crossing. Darn. Always have to compromise. At 44 knots it's range is only about 500-550 nm. :mad:

We're only running about 21 knots now. Brief time in the gulf stream we were a bit faster. We vary speed though and a bit slower at night.

Funny, yesterday a captain we know was disparaging as to why anyone would ever want to cross an ocean as we discussed one day crossing the Atlantic. He said "There's nothing to see crossing an ocean and you're stuck out there over a week." God, it's so freaking beautiful out here today and I can't wait until tonight with just us, the moon and the stars and no land in sight. Ooh......hot tub, fly bridge, under the stars and moon....oh I better calm down and not think of that right now. :blush::blush:

Lol I see that you are not really a trawler guy then huh? Where did you guys depart from?

Interesting classifications. I withhold judgement on whether the E6 fits number 2 or 3. It's definitely not a traditional number 3. But I'd have to see it's true seaworthiness and verify it's range. It's got a 1320 gallon fuel capacity, but I'm not convinced it can go slow enough to get 2 nmpg. With 900 hp, I'd think that would have to be something under 1000 RPM, perhaps 600-800 RPM and then can it even maintain direction. It claims to have transatlantic range at 7 knots.

I'm not willing to put it in Number 3 until I see it in rough seas and verify it's range. And as Richard can clearly tell us, rough seas and high winds can have a tremendous effect on the range of a boat going slow.

Lol I see that you are not really a trawler guy then huh? Where did you guys depart from?

Wifey B: Duh, first I'm not a guy. Hubby is. But not wifey. :eek:

Fort Lauderdale. Paradise. :)

Half the people here aren't trawler guys, we're just a bit the extreme. However, in many ways we are. We cruise, a lot. We go the places trawler guys go. We enjoy the same areas. We use our boats.

Example: We did the loop, same loop as all others. We did it in a boat we no longer have but cruised at around 26 knots. Did it faster than others but same loop, same places. OCDiver is the only other one here I know who included Lake Superior in his loop. We enjoyed his posts on his looping. We've read of so many who have done it from those who swore no other boat was as good as a Catamaran to those who used sailboats without their masts and sales.

In many ways then we have far more in common with people on TF than people with boats more like ours. We're both captains and love taking the helm. I took the first shift of the day. We're scheduled tonight from 6:00 till midnight.

Yacht owners often have their crew relocate the yacht and fly in and spend a few days or a couple of weeks on it, perhaps cruise a bit, then home. Riva owners take their boat out in the med and sunbathe and watch others and then back home. We know there have been many Riva's sold in the US but we very seldom ever see one cruising. We've been to Myrtle Beach in ours and to New Orleans in it. We got our initial training in it. First rough water was in the Gulf of Mexico and our training captain was excited for the opportunity. 6-8' and then 8-10' and he ran us through the paces for several hours in it. We were drained but smiling when we pulled in to Panama City and then spent several days there. :)

People here go places, use their boats, enjoy the water. These are the true cruisers. Other forums have a lot of professionals but fewer owners. It's like here there are many who work or did work on commercial ships, but that's not why they're here, they're here to discuss cruising on recreational boats.

Omg, I wanted to just stand up and scream and cheer when Wayfarer got his boat. He's a professional but now he's a cruiser too. He's got the same love of the water I feel. :dance::dance:

There are many ways we don't fit here but one essential way we do, we share the love of boating, of cruising. We're lovers of boats, all boats. There's a tremendous range of boats represented on this forum and we're the extreme, but it's not about the boat, it's about the boating. Heck, no one can even define trawler. The other day I was told the Riva was one based on the size of it's cleats. :rofl:

We'll go to Bermuda faster and from greater distance, but I'm sure there are others here who have gone from the NC coast at 7-10 knots. Fast is just in our makeup, in our lives in general. We think we're doing something slow and others think we're doing it too fast. :ermm:

Wifey B: Duh, first I'm not a guy. Hubby is. But not wifey. :eek:

Fort Lauderdale. Paradise. :)

Half the people here aren't trawler guys, we're just a bit the extreme. However, in many ways we are. We cruise, a lot. We go the places trawler guys go. We enjoy the same areas. We use our boats.

Example: We did the loop, same loop as all others. We did it in a boat we no longer have but cruised at around 26 knots. Did it faster than others but same loop, same places. OCDiver is the only other one here I know who included Lake Superior in his loop. We enjoyed his posts on his looping. We've read of so many who have done it from those who swore no other boat was as good as a Catamaran to those who used sailboats without their masts and sales.

In many ways then we have far more in common with people on TF than people with boats more like ours. We're both captains and love taking the helm. I took the first shift of the day. We're scheduled tonight from 6:00 till midnight.

Yacht owners often have their crew relocate the yacht and fly in and spend a few days or a couple of weeks on it, perhaps cruise a bit, then home. Riva owners take their boat out in the med and sunbathe and watch others and then back home. We know there have been many Riva's sold in the US but we very seldom ever see one cruising. We've been to Myrtle Beach in ours and to New Orleans in it. We got our initial training in it. First rough water was in the Gulf of Mexico and our training captain was excited for the opportunity. 6-8' and then 8-10' and he ran us through the paces for several hours in it. We were drained but smiling when we pulled in to Panama City and then spent several days there. :)

People here go places, use their boats, enjoy the water. These are the true cruisers. Other forums have a lot of professionals but fewer owners. It's like here there are many who work or did work on commercial ships, but that's not why they're here, they're here to discuss cruising on recreational boats.

Omg, I wanted to just stand up and scream and cheer when Wayfarer got his boat. He's a professional but now he's a cruiser too. He's got the same love of the water I feel. :dance::dance:

There are many ways we don't fit here but one essential way we do, we share the love of boating, of cruising. We're lovers of boats, all boats. There's a tremendous range of boats represented on this forum and we're the extreme, but it's not about the boat, it's about the boating. Heck, no one can even define trawler. The other day I was told the Riva was one based on the size of it's cleats. :rofl:

We'll go to Bermuda faster and from greater distance, but I'm sure there are others here who have gone from the NC coast at 7-10 knots. Fast is just in our makeup, in our lives in general. We think we're doing something slow and others think we're doing it too fast. :ermm:

Oh I wasn’t trying to imply that you aren’t cruisers or that you don’t belong on this forum. I was merely making an observation on your boat preference.

Back
Top Bottom