Old 08-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Greenbank, WA
Training captain wanted

I am near completion of the acquisition of my first proper trawler, and am interested in hiring a captain to provide some hands on training on my new boat. The boat is in the LaConnor marina so someone from around that area or Anacortes would probably be preferable.

I have boated all my life, but the largest boat I have owned was a 28’ Albin sport fisher (single diesel, bow thruster). I have done quite a bit of sailing on large keelboats, both round the bouys and offshore. The boat I am acquiring is 47’, twin diesel, bowthruster, 50,000lbs displacement. My son, age 34, would also accompany me for the training.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

John
Jknox0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Did you get this beauty?
Attached Thumbnails
nerid.jpg  
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Indeed, pending survey and sea trial. . .
Old 08-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Jknox, welcome to TF. That's a great looking boat and looks very capable of handling any of the seas you're likely to encounter.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
That is a very nice boat. Enjoy!!!

Here is a link to the Yachtworld listing: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...dard%20listing

It is a 1967 Willard build that was repowered with modern JD engines. I didn't think that fiberglass went that far back. Willard must have been at the head of the pack. I'll bet it is built hell for stout.

Curious, what is the cowl on the foredeck- ventilation below? And I haven't seen that kind of anchor windlass, although it looks very functional.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks. As we say here in the PNW, she’s “Skookum” alright! The cover is an old style hatch, leading to a stairway to the foreword cabin. The windlass seems really stout, but we will be giving it a try during the sea trial for sure.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:45 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
As for hiring a training captain.

Check with your insurance broker for recommendations and if you will qualify for a lower rate after the training. Most marine insurance brokers rely on a few training captains for clients that can't obtain insurance due to their inexperience. Contact previous clients to verify the captains instructing proficiency and demeanor. Make sure the trainer is a USCG licensed captain - ask to see the license.

There are many USCG licensed captains. Most are in the commercial sector. Not many captains have the communication skills, knowledge, patience and pleasure boating experience to train a novice boater.

Expect to spend a minimum of 8 hours (hopefully not in one session) actually behind the wheel of your boat practicing docking and other maneuvers. Ideally the mornings are spent docking when the wind is light and the afternoon is devoted to going over the boats systems, handling emergencies and other "book learning". 16 hours total training is typical, 10 to 12 hours practicing handling and 4 to 6 on systems depending on the boat owners proficiency and the complexity of the boat. Avoid the instructors that have the same preplanned program for all clients irregardless of the clients experience or boat.

A good instructor will go over your mechanical, electrical and electronics with you describing their function and maintenance requirements in addition to making you a good boat driver. They will also give you some pointers in case of failure of the more critical systems.

Additional hours can be scheduled for anchoring, going through locks or anything else that you want to learn. And if you moor the boat in LaConner, you will certainly want additional time docking in current.

I retired a few years ago from being a training captain - boat driving instructor after 25 loooong years! 5 years working for a yacht time share company and the rest independently. Most of my clients originated from insurance brokers and the rest referrals. I did not have a web presence with that business.

And sorry, I can't do just one more. I gave up my captains license.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks. This is not being required by insurance, but is just my own feeling I could use some help. The broker has offered to do the training, and he too gave up his license some time ago, but I am not sure if that makes sense or not. I am gathering a few names. I agree with your description of how a good training should go. Thanks for the run down.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:28 AM   #9

City: Hilton Head Island
What is a reasonable fee for 12-16 hour course by a licensed Captain? I will need this as well so I want to add this to my budget when we move up soon. Thx.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
What is a reasonable fee for 12-16 hour course by a licensed Captain? I will need this as well so I want to add this to my budget when we move up soon. Thx.
IMO, maybe as much as $100 per hour. It would be fantastic if you could take him for a night cruise, anchor and retrieve the anchor 3 or 4 times too.
Things at night look totally different especially if you travel the ICW or costal cruising and docking at night.
In my case, I enter at Haulover and on the way back to the dock, there are many unlighted navigational aids combine with those with a boat and no sense.
Learn to steer a compass course and your electronics.
Docking in the dark or semi dark can be very different.
Learn charting because sometimes the electronics may give you trouble.

Remember, the object is to build your confidence.
Neutral is a gear, use it as necessary.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknox0601 View Post
Indeed, pending survey and sea trial. . .
That is a might pretty boat.
Can we all go for a ride? CHUCKLE

Does the covered slip go with the boat or do you have the option of a long term lease? I say this because, I see that teak rail cap. Keeping it pretty can become addictive and expensive. On my Nordhavn46, I had a rail cap like that. I let it go gray and got so many negative comments, I finally had it refinished at great expense only to have the boat destroyed in a boat yard accident a couple of years later.
There are longer lasting external teak finishings than varnish. SMILE
Old 08-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Southampton
These guys are excellent: https://www.captainchrisyachtservices.com/
Recb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recb View Post
Wifey B: They are also 3000 miles from the OP. Really?

I could recommend many captains in South Florida but didn't do so since the air would be several times the fee.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #14
Guru

I don't know what others charged but my fee was between $80 and $150 an hour.

I charged $100 if the client wanted 8 hours or less training. For 9 hours and up, I charged $80.

If I thought the client will be a PITA or hostile because he was being forced to get instruction by insurance, I charged $150. Hoping he will hire someone else.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #15

City: Hilton Head Island
100 or 150, still cheaper than replacing gelcoat or fixing a dock or some one else's boat. Well worth it and I will add it to my budget.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
100 or 150, still cheaper than replacing gelcoat or fixing a dock or some one else's boat. Well worth it and I will add it to my budget.
So very true.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
IMO, maybe as much as $100 per hour. It would be fantastic if you could take him for a night cruise, anchor and retrieve the anchor 3 or 4 times too.
Things at night look totally different especially if you travel the ICW or costal cruising and docking at night.
In my case, I enter at Haulover and on the way back to the dock, there are many unlighted navigational aids combine with those with a boat and no sense.
Learn to steer a compass course and your electronics.
Docking in the dark or semi dark can be very different.
Learn charting because sometimes the electronics may give you trouble.

Remember, the object is to build your confidence.
Neutral is a gear, use it as necessary.

The goal of training new boaters is to get the boat owner to a point where he/she arrives at their first destination safely and be able to dock the boat without drama.

In the PO's case, since he has experience with the Albin, the goal would be to get him proficient and confident with twin engine handling, spend most of the time working on docking in a variety of situations, close quarters manuerving and getting out of tight situations.

I've never done a night cruise training. I don't expect newer boaters or boaters moving up in size to be traveling, docking or anchoring at night. I encourage clients to take it easy at the beginning and try difficult things once they have more time behind the wheel. I also expect clients to spend time practicing on their own what they learned while the training is fresh in their memory.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #18
Guru

If Bob Meng is still training in the PNW, I would recommend him. He has been training new boaters full time for a long time so has a lot of experience with a variety of boats and situations.

I would still check with his past clients or insurance brokers for references.

A word about references. When I received a request for references in any of my businesses, I provided names of my most current, satisfied clients that were vocal in their praise. I would never give a name of a dissatisfied client.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Most of the big charter companies up there offer instruction programs. Northwest Explorations for one. Call around. You need someone who specializes in teaching and has a system for doing so.Another source of references is the US Power Squadron as an adjunct to their many classes.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
That is a very nice boat. Enjoy!!!

I didn't think that fiberglass went that far back. Willard must have been at the head of the pack. I'll bet it is built hell for stout.

David

Willard launched their first 36’ fiberglass boat in 1961. Well built for sure. Bill
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote