Old 11-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #1

City: Wimauma
Vessel Name: My Chele
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30
Trailer for a Pilot 30

I am considering buying a trailer for my Pilot 30. Having hauled a large sailboat and a 37 ft 5th wheel I feel confident in pulling my Mainship 30. I know I will need a relatively steep ramp (just like the sailboat) but can anyone give me some advice (i.e.) wisdom on the ins and outs (pun intended) of launching and loading my boat on my own? Also, I would prefer a used one if it can be found.
shardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Both of my boats are trailer launched. Normally it involves two people. The procedure is simple. The ramp I use has a floating dock down one side, so the first step is to bring the boat along side the floating dock and tie up. That is often the hardest part because the wind is normally blowing you off the dock. Once the boat is on the dock the trailer is backed in and the two of us walk the boat onto the trailer. Once the boat is in the right spot on the trailer and secured at the bow, one person slowly pulls the trailer forward while the other keeps the boat lines up astern using a combination of a boat hook and a stern line. Alignment of the boat is critical particularly if you have exposed props and shafts. For my deeper draft boat (5') we have to disconnect the trailer from the truck and let it out farther into the water on a cable to get it into deep enough water.

Launching is easy. We back the trailer in until the boat is floating then I back the boat off.

Of course, we are using a Brownell hydraulic trailer. They make great trailers, but they are a bit pricey.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
You’ll need an oversized permit and since your over 10’ wide, you’ll be restricted on time of day and holidays. I had a friend who wanted to do the same thing and finally hired it out. If I remember right, he couldn’t move the boat on some holidays and his truck was just at the rated weight limit but wasn’t 4 wheel drive.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #4

City: Wimauma
Vessel Name: My Chele
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30
Thanks for the input. My sailboat was 10'3" and the annual permit up to 10' is nominal here in Fla with no restrictions on when you can tow. Never heard of anyone being cited for being 3" over but there's always the what if....
shardy is offline   Reply With Quote