Old 11-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
machine shop, Belhaven to Beaufort?

I can't adjust the belt tension on my Westerbeke 4.4kw generator. The upper adjustment bolt is fine, but the lower pivot bolt and bracket have seized. I don't think the fix will require any expertise in Westerbeke generators, but I'm guessing it will probably require the capability to lift the generator (roughly 300 lb) out of the engine room, set it in the main cabin, and drill out the seized fittings. I'm currently anchored in the Pungo River, roughly 8 miles ENE of Belhaven, so I'm looking for some place in the Belhaven to Beaufort area. Any thoughts?
seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Jarrett Boat works on the way to Beaufort...or the big marina just before them. Plus any in Oriental should be able to help. Mayo docks in Hobucken take care of shrimpers, they may know someone or can help.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
I slid mine over to the hatch under the helm .and had Deaton's in oriental lift it out through the door . mine is like yours but a single and my generator was lighter . I worked today or I would be there .
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Guru

while your in Belhaven you could ask henry at river forest or call the owner at dowry creek both nice people and know everyone in town.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Guru

or if you need help turning the wrenches foster marine . https://www.facebook.com/Fostermobilemarine/. sorry for all the replies . they keep wanting me to do my job.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
or if you need help turning the wrenches foster marine . https://www.facebook.com/Fostermobilemarine/. sorry for all the replies . they keep wanting me to do my job.
They want you to work ALL THE TIME? That's outrageous! I'll try to contact Foster Marine. Thanks very much for the recommendation.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #7
Guru

did you get your generator straightened out? do you have any good or bad comments on the services in the area . I may try to tackle valve adjustment and valve cover gasket this weekend.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
did you get your generator straightened out? do you have any good or bad comments on the services in the area . I may try to tackle valve adjustment and valve cover gasket this weekend.
Hi Timb. I contacted Foster Marine, but they said they didn't think they could do the job, and recommended Western Branch. I went to Jarrett Bay and talked to 3 different diesel shops; Western Branch, Gregory Poole, and Performance Diesel. Everyone was very nice, but everyone was very busy. The first 2 shops said it could be weeks before they could spare someone to help me out. Performance Diesel said they might be able to help me in a few days. I planned to be in Jarrett Bay a few days waiting out stormy weather, so I hoped for the best. On the 4th day of my layover in Jarrett Bay, I walked back to Performance Diesel. The manager I had talked to was out of town that day, and apparently had not scheduled anyone to work on my boat. However, one of the workers, "Jay", volunteered to try to help me out. He was never able to remove the rusted bolt. I had drown the bolt in PB Blaster overnight. Jay tried to turn the bolt, hammer the bolt, tried an electric heat gun, tried a gas torch, and finally cut off both ends of the bolt and tried to center-punch it out. Nothing worked. It eventually became very clear that the only way to get the bolt out would be to drill it out. However, what Jay was able to do was get the bracket moving that allows me to tension the belt. That allowed me to get the generator working again. As for that bolt, I don't think it is going anywhere. I can always drill it out later if I choose.

The 2 things I learned from this exercise were:
  1. Jay at Performance Diesel was a great guy, a knowledgeable mechanic, and had roughly 10 times the muscle power that I have.
  2. Even in a boatyard with 3 diesel shops, you might get same-day service on your boat, or you might have to wait days or weeks.