Old 08-27-2018, 03:53 AM   #1
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Tragic day for "Anabelle"

The much admired 78 ft timber Norman Wright built Annabelle met a tragic end on Platypus Rock, Shaw Is. Whitsundays.

No further details but a cardinal mark is clearly seen in one of those pics.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_15353459700311734.jpg   FB_IMG_15353479438394488.jpg   FB_IMG_15353480705631558.jpg  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Gold Coast
Vessel Name: Serenity 2.0
Vessel Model: Mimosa 40
Such a tragic scene. I also saw it on the FB group and the mind immediately swings to the 'How' questions. I note those involved are physically safe and well which is the most important thing but I can't even imagine what they are going through now.

Ryan
Rhinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:30 AM   #3
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Tragedy is an understatement. What were they thinking? Where was the point of no return? Who or what was navigating?

Could be a triple tragedy. The watch may have ended with a medical emergency and the pilot was not conscious.

Pure conjecture but I think it's the autopilot and the smart phone. We have outsmarted ourselves with smartphones. We have grown complacent, lackadaisical. "It's all good" "My cell phone will call me if there's a problem" "The autopilot has my back"

During my all too brief experience as captain I always woke up wondering: "Where is the boat?" "Are the boat and the crew safe"? It was a survey boat and we lived to stay safe and map the bottom of the ocean. 110 foot, steel hull, converted supply vessel drawing about 10 feet and with a crew of nine. A "party boat".

The map table was right behind the helm and the wheelman was between. We were a system. Now we have a system and a network.

One time the head Geologist/Geographer/Navigator stressed out severely over an issue with location and got off the boat for a break as a result. We had LORAN back then. We used triangulation with UHF radios to position within one meter. The two systems didn't agree and it took a while to notice that the LORAN unit was "cycling". We took this stuff seriously, it was life or death.

Modern conveniences are great until they kill someone.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #4

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Such a pity, I know that boat. It was in stellar condition. Used to berth near us at RQYS, it had been up for sale relatively recently.

Glad to hear all aboard were safe.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #5

City: New York
Looks like the only rock for miles around....what a beautiful boat, what a tragic end...
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Looks like a Green Buoy (Lateral Marking). With only one marker in the picture and not sure which direction is 'returning'..... it's hard to tell what happened here. My general guess is if you're on a rock, you're on the wrong side of the marker. Not sure if the pictures sufficiently show whether it is an isolated hazard.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
Tragedy is an understatement. What were they thinking? Where was the point of no return? Who or what was navigating?

Could be a triple tragedy. The watch may have ended with a medical emergency and the pilot was not conscious.

Pure conjecture but I think it's the autopilot and the smart phone. We have outsmarted ourselves with smartphones. We have grown complacent, lackadaisical. "It's all good" "My cell phone will call me if there's a problem" "The autopilot has my back"

During my all too brief experience as captain I always woke up wondering: "Where is the boat?" "Are the boat and the crew safe"? It was a survey boat and we lived to stay safe and map the bottom of the ocean. 110 foot, steel hull, converted supply vessel drawing about 10 feet and with a crew of nine. A "party boat".

The map table was right behind the helm and the wheelman was between. We were a system. Now we have a system and a network.

One time the head Geologist/Geographer/Navigator stressed out severely over an issue with location and got off the boat for a break as a result. We had LORAN back then. We used triangulation with UHF radios to position within one meter. The two systems didn't agree and it took a while to notice that the LORAN unit was "cycling". We took this stuff seriously, it was life or death.

I’m afraid many boats were lost in the days before cell phones and autopilots. Statistically, probably at a higher rate than today, but that’s just my gut and not supported by any facts known to me. Humans have always found novel ways to screw up, with or without technology.

Glad all are safe.

Sad at loss of a pretty boat. But a boat is just a thing. Another pretty boat can be built to replace it.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Oh, that is really sad. It appears that the hull damage was too great for any type of emergency repair? Beautiful boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Seems like some plywood, drywall screws and spray foam could have saved the boat.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Seems like some plywood, drywall screws and spray foam could have saved the boat.

Yeah, even a tarp screwed to the outside of the hull. Pretty hard to tell from the pics though and I'm sure the owners would have tried everything available.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #11
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
perhaps she flooded over her stern as the tide came in. where exactly did this take place ?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
. where exactly did this take place ?
First post.
Platypus rock, shaw island, Whitsundays.

Damage visible in pic is the stabiliser torn off.
Apparently there was a major hole back at the rock so patching would have not been possible.
Attached Thumbnails
sketch-1535347598630.jpg  
Old 08-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:

OK, but let's not make up what "might" have happened here without at least some basis in facts.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:06 PM   #14

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Its a timber hull boat, I am told there was a hole 1.5m x 1.5m torn in it, plus you can see the starboard stabiliser sheered and a nasty looking bump/dent in the bow forward of the thruster.

H.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #15
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Can't imagine the sense of loss.

My guess is they had 'zoomed out' the display on their electronic navigation device, maybe to plan the route for the day, and the rock wasn't shown anymore. This might also explain why the rising depth sounder readings were missed as well.

Note to Self: When in unfamiliar or poorly charted waters, set depth sounder alarm so as to give early warning of obstacles rising from the depths.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #16
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisHamish View Post
Its a timber hull boat, I am told there was a hole 1.5m x 1.5m torn in it, plus you can see the starboard stabiliser sheered and a nasty looking bump/dent in the bow forward of the thruster.

H.

It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks to me like the stabilizer fin shattered, but the shaft survived.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:

What utter crap
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post

Note to Self: When in unfamiliar or poorly charted waters, set depth sounder alarm so as to give early warning of obstacles rising from the depths.
Back off speed and sharp eyes as well.
Check paper, it may have details electronics dont

In this instance the mark should have been clearly visible but if the mark was not there a sounder may not have helped as it goes from great depth to shallow fast.

Same all out through the reef, 100ft to dry in a boat length.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:52 PM   #19
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
A half-intelligent, part-time thinking individual might ask "Based on what?"

https://safety4sea.com/?s=distracted+accident

A total dumbass would ignore the inevitable, solid as a rock, and possibly even park a yacht on it. High and dry.

We have deaths from people playing video games on watch and running down innocents. It's real.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:43 PM   #20
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
This half intelligent full time thinking individual investigated numerous really serious incidents where boat pilots found other ways to become distracted without the electronics. Like the guy who towed a barge through an offshore oil and gas platform at 2 pm on a beautiful cloudless day. He was reading a paperback novel while his deckhand, who had been out on deck painting, was banging on the window and pointing frantically. Over $10mm in damages and a ton of pollution. Nowadays he would be playing video games. Take the video game consul away and he would go back to reading a paperback. Stupid is as stupid does.
Nothing to do with this incident. I haven’t seen any info on why this happened. But you can bet your boots human error was in play somewhere in the chain of events.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote