Traffic on reciprocal course

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I thought I was the only one getting passed at close distance? I've lost track of how many times we've been beam waked at close distance - even with lots of space to go around us. We try very hard to be conscious of our wake and give people space when we pass them, pretty rare when we like to cruise at 9-10kts.

Quote:

As usual, I was passed by other boats as I go slow. In the more narrow areas I noticed that the 20-25 foot boats would pass me within 10-15 yards. Other slow boats, running 8-9 knots would give me lots of room. The worst offenders are the 40'+ boats running 15-20 knots. They would pass about 15-20 yards away throwing a gigantic wake. The more expensive and shiny the boat looked, the closer they would pass. Even closer if they were flying a Seattle Yacht Burgee.

dhays,

Using a horn to signal passing/crossing intention is an exercise in futility. Most boaters would think you're honking to be friendly.

I would have turned towards the close passing boats or at least steered a wandering "S" course to force those offending boats to keep their distance. It helps to be unpredictable.

Last edited:
I would have turned towards the close passing boats or at least steered a wandering "S" course to force those offending boats to keep their distance. It helps to be unpredictable.

I do like the wandering S idea. If only my autopilot had a setting for that!

The VHF is your best friend in these situations. Just explain in clear layman's terms what you want to accomplish, if the other skipper is more knowledgeable, they'll let you know. Of course the other boat has to understand it is them you are calling, so try to make that clear too, you won't get perfect, but you will get a much higher success rate than horn signals. I have had occasion to step out on the side deck and use hand signals as a last resort.

I do like the wandering S idea. If only my autopilot had a setting for that!

I increase the cross track error on the plotter which causes the boat to steer a wandering S.

I think I may be doing something wrong and would like any suggestions.

I have notice this past year that when I am traveling up or down Colvos Passage (1-1.4nm wide channel running North and South in Puget Sound) that often I end up on an exact reciprocal course with other boats. That isn’t unusual given the nature of Colvos Passage. However, I make it a habit when writhing about a 1/2 nm to alter my course to Port or Starboard 15 degrees to give the other boat more room. I pick the direction that appears to increase any offset between our boats rather than crossing the others bow.

It is amazing to me how often the other boater will not only fail to also alter course to give us more room, but will actually turn towards me to very slightly improve improve their angle to the next point on their course. The worse offenders are those cursing at 15+ knots and throwing huge wakes. The large wakes are the reason I want to give us more room.

For example, it just happened a few minutes ago. I was on a reciprocal heading with a 32’ GB heading South. It appeared they were just slightly to the East of my course (although it sure appeared we were on exactly reciprocating tracks), so I altered my course to the West to give us more room. I swear he altered his course slightly to the West as well and we passed about 2 boat lengths apart. Not a big deal in this case as the GB was going a reasonable speed and not putting out much of a wake.

So, am doing something stupid or is there another approach I might take?

Make the admiral stay inside when she wears bikini underway. :lol:

The VHF is your best friend in these situations.

Making the assumption that the vhf is even on.

We have turned ours on probably 4 times in 3 years to log on and off for a bar crossing.

Making the assumption that the vhf is even on.

We have turned ours on probably 4 times in 3 years to log on and off for a bar crossing.

There are many reasons other marine traffic (or even the Coast Guard) May need to contact you on the water. What about the requirement to render aid to a vessel in distress?
I personally think not monitoring the emergency channel (16 around here) is irresponsible. JMHO.

Simi isn't from around here... :)

Amazing that in today's day and age, rec vessels in the US are generally not required to have a radio. Heck and they cost on average significantly less than a cell phone.

There are many reasons other marine traffic (or even the Coast Guard) May need to contact you on the water. What about the requirement to render aid to a vessel in distress?
I personally think not monitoring the emergency channel (16 around here) is irresponsible. JMHO.

:thumb:

My belief on the boats coming head on at you and not yielding is due to the increasing reliance on chartplotter routes and the reluctance to deviate from their programmed route. They come straight down the center of the channel, regardless of boat type and do not alter at all. As if its a big hassle to change the AP a few degrees or they are entitled to the whole ICW. It used to bother me but now only when I have to take significant evasive action (going outside the channel or crash stop).:banghead:

Rule 14 -

(a) ‹‹ Unless otherwise agreed ›› when two power-driven vessels are meeting on reciprocal or nearly reciprocal courses so as to involve risk of collision each shall alter her course to starboard so that each shall pass on the port side of the other.

(b) Such a situation shall be deemed to exist when a vessel sees the other ahead or nearly ahead and by night she could see the masthead lights of the other in a line or nearly in a line and/or both sidelights and by day she observes the corresponding aspect of the other vessel.

(c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether such a situation exists she shall assume that it does exist and act accordingly.

I would follow the rules as stated above.

Simi isn't from around here... :)

Amazing that in today's day and age, rec vessels in the US are generally not required to have a radio. Heck and they cost on average significantly less than a cell phone.

Agreed. However, if a recreational vessel chooses to have a VHF radio, my understanding is they are required by FCC regs to maintain a radio watch on 16.

How much time does it take to identify the opposing boat, make contact on channel 16, and switch channels to communicate the message? I've always found there was insufficient time to do this. I've only been contacted by two boats, both making passes from behind in narrow channels where they could read my boat's name on the stern.

How much time does it take to identify the opposing boat, make contact on channel 16, and switch channels to communicate the message? I've always found there was insufficient time to do this. I've only been contacted by two boats, both making passes from behind in narrow channels where they could read my boat's name on the stern.

Exactly, unless they have AIS and are broadcasting their name, it is pretty hard to even identify the boat.

Exactly, unless they have AIS and are broadcasting their name, it is pretty hard to even identify the boat.

You know where you are, what your boat looks like, and which way you are heading, and you know where they are, what their boat looks like and which way they are heading, don't you?

If I am enroute and confront another boat head on I alter my course to the right. If the other boat does not also alter its course to the right I return to my previous course and then do it again. If the other boat still does not respond they get 5 blasts of my horn ("you are standing into danger") and I then make a security call. Then I just ram the bast@rd! (just kidding about the last bit...).

No, the size of your boat has no bearing. No, because you are faster than me, no bearing. In places like Thulin Passage I drive up the channel like I'm drunk (NO BOOZE until the anchor is secure, from anyone onboard) so that those whom would like to pass have to either slow or give me a wide berth. I am fed up with getting waked and hurting my passengers and crew or my boat. I always take a photo or a video. If you do wake me and give me a friendly wave, I will find you one day and I'll raft up to you without fenders...

REMEMBER YOUR WAKE!

This:

Attachments

• IMG_6110.jpg
    IMG_6110.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 51
You know where you are, what your boat looks like, and which way you are heading, and you know where they are, what their boat looks like and which way they are heading, don't you?

Hm... even with good binoculars it can be hard to be specific when describing a boat that you can only see head on from 1/2 mile away. I can give someone a lat-lon location but how many will recognize it? Often there aren't many specific landmarks in some area (such as Colvos Passage) and there are a LOT of boats that would match that description.

So yes, I know all that stuff. In many situations it isn't all that helpful.

At 1/2 mile, two approaching recreational hull-speed boats are approaching at a slow combined speed of 12 knot, there is less than five minutes before they meet. Usually, there is even less time since most recreational boats have a higher combined speed.

Find it best to make course change, normally to starboard, early. Attempting VHF communication is a distraction.

A boat pointed at you and continues to change course towards you is a pretty good distraction too. :)

I think Dave's OP wasn't about a normal pass, but one where the oncoming boat seems intent on colliding or at least passing uncomfy close.

Scott is right. The initial concern is how to alter course in such a way that provides the amount of clearance with which I am comfortable without encouraging the incoming boat to turn towards me since they see it as an opportunity to shave a few degrees off their course.

Maybe what I should do is alter my course by a reasonable amount (assuming both boats turn to starboard) but also take the opportunity to check to see if I can still hit rated max RPM? I can dig a pretty impressive hole in the water at 10 knots at full power. [emoji38]
A boat pointed at you and continues to change course towards you is a pretty good distraction too. :)

I think Dave's OP wasn't about a normal pass, but one where the oncoming boat seems intent on colliding or at least passing uncomfy close.

I've been hailed on VHF for passing a few times, but usually in pretty low traffic areas where it's very obvious which boat someone is talking to.

Last one I had was coming up the Hudson a few weeks ago in one of the narrow channel upper parts of the river. Guy in a 35-ish foot Sea Ray called and asked me to drop off plane before passing, so I happily pulled the power back to about 7 kts while wondering why a boat not much smaller than mine was concerned about passing me at 17 kts (especially when I was already starting to trim down to flatten my wake for him, which gets the total wave height down to a foot or less while up on a good plane).

Last edited:
Spot on, psneed. Here in rural Texas where the highways are straight as an arrow for tens of miles, I'm always amazed at the frequent guardrail damage I see. The DWI drivers will manage to drive 20 miles from the nearest bar without running off the road into an open pasture, but somehow manage to crinkle up the only steel guardrail within miles![emoji848]

I am in Ingleside Tx just a few miles south of you and the road between us is, as you say, straight as an arrow most of the way. Invariably, they hit the steel rails and not the soft barbed wire fence....LOL.

I have also noticed that when someone is coming toward you they will keep aiming at your headlights.

If you see someone heading for you and you alter course to port and then they realize their error and cut back to their side of the channel, you may be found at fault for being on the wrong side. Always alter to starboard unless there is a danger of running aground.

33 CFR, Rule 14, Section 83.14, Pp a-d

'Lo All, Post # 52 reminded me of what I observed a number of years ago. I was entering the pass at Panama City, Florida in my sailboat when a boater commented on CH 16 that a boat (call him boat "X") coming out of Grand Lagoon was noted for waking everyone in and out of the Lagoon. A 60-70' sport fisher that was making minimal wake as he turned to exit the pass said "OH?". As boat "X", which was making a huge wake, crossed the sport fisher's stern to pass, the sport fisher firewalled his engines. The sport fisher didn't accelerate, it just squatted down and made a huge hole in the water that the boat "X" fell into. The sport fisher then throttled down and went on his way. Boat "X" bobbed up and sat in the water for a minute or so, then slowly went on his way. Probably 20-40 people observed this episode as the pass was crowded, but no one made any comments on the radio.

While I can't condone what the sport fisher did, it did have the desired effect - at least on that day.

At 1/2 mile, two approaching recreational hull-speed boats are approaching at a slow combined speed of 12 knot, there is less than five minutes before they meet. Usually, there is even less time since most recreational boats have a higher combined speed.

Find it best to make course change, normally to starboard, early. Attempting VHF communication is a distraction.

So let's say you are northbound on San Pablo Bay coming north from the straits. How long does it take to say "Southbound power vessel on San Pablo bay near marker 4, this is Carquinez Coot" ?

So let's say you are northbound on San Pablo Bay coming north from the straits. How long does it take to say "Southbound power vessel on San Pablo bay near marker 4, this is Carquinez Coot" ?

Wifey B: Between 6 and 7 seconds. :D

Is this anything like one train start in NYC at 60 mph and the other train start from LA at 80 mph. Where will they meet?
I flunked that problem really really bad. SIGH

I wouldn't be going north because the northern half is shallow and would be aground. (The bay's channel markers are all two-digits.)

How long would the other boat take to respond, if at all?

Back
Top Bottom