Old 02-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Track Up or North Up?

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
Jump on board with "course up" orientation....the train is leaving the station. (Do what you will with your paper maps.)
Why?* Just because you prefer it and believe it to be the "proper" way to run a plotter, does that mean that everyone else has to assume all your reasons for doing something are the only valid reasons there are?*

I'm not trying to argue with you or put you down here, just to point out that people have their own reasons for doing what they do and the fact that you or I or anyone else doesn't agree with their reasons doesn't make them wrong.* I believe you have said you drive a Prius and you have good and logical reasons for doing so.* I go moose hunting in the logging regions of central BC.* So should I use a Prius for that instead of our Range Rover?* Should the reasons you choose to drive a Prius be applicable to my choice to drive a Range Rover?

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 26th of February 2011 04:47:49 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #42
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Track Up or North Up?

I must reiterate the most important point made here. USE THE ORIENTATION THAT IS THE MOST INTUITIVE OR PLEASING TO YOU. Nothing else matters. No one elses opinion matters.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #43
Rob

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen KK42

Along with my first mate we have been following this North up* vs. Course Up descussion. I've always run North Up and my wife insist on running Course Up. After reading all of the comments I was very suprised as to how many people run course up! I've run up and down the Inside*Passage over ten thousand miles, but I've gotta be honest in saying that even running for long periods of time North Up on the plotter when heading south I always have to think about which way to turn the wheel. In poor weather, close quarters, night time and fog*I do prefer to run course up so that my plotter view and the radar view are both course up.*
Rob Hays
"Lady Anne" W40PH
La Conner, WA/Girdwood, AK
Attached Thumbnails
img_1086.jpg  
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Rob wrote:

Along with my first mate we have been following this North up* vs. Course Up descussion. I've always run North Up and my wife insist on running Course Up. After reading all of the comments I was very suprised as to how many people run course up! I've run up and down the Inside*Passage over ten thousand miles, but I've gotta be honest in saying that even running for long periods of time North Up on the plotter when heading south I always have to think about which way to turn the wheel. In poor weather, close quarters, night time and fog*I do prefer to run course up so that my plotter view and the radar view are both course up.*
Rob Hays
"Lady Anne" W40PH
La Conner, WA/Girdwood, AK
Your own view out the windshield is course up as well. I'm just sayin!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #45
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Quote:
Carey wrote:Your own view out the windshield is course up as well. I'm just sayin!!!
I*grew up with north-up paper charts, then unstabilized course-up radar displays, then stabilized north-up true-motion radar displays.*

When my wife comes to the pilothouse, the paper chart gets rotated to heading mode, but she doesn't have any issues with the radar mode.

But the other day, she asked if we were planning to go upsound (as in Puget Sound), and I told her, No, we were going to go south.* Wait a minute!* Don't you have to be going north to go up?**

We pretty much leave looking out the window as the primary answer to all no-good-answer questions.*
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Depends on how your brain is wired. Some can do North up, no matter what direction you are facing,. Some need to be Course up to relate to the chart at all. That difference exists between my wife and me. No matter, so long as whomever is actually steering can read the chart!
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #47
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Benn,
How do you get radar out of Da Da?
But then that's baby talk for daddy**** .......in some circles.
Bottom side up is only good w bottles.
By the way why do people look at the lid?
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #48
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Eric,
I don't for the life of me know how it came about. Da Da that is.
As usual I will be lookin with my eyes closed, I hope !!

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #49
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Quote:
Carey wrote:

Carey, I don't mean to split hairs but the view out the windshield is HEADING up....jus sayin'.

And like everybody else said....whatever makes you most comfortable. *I do think it is interesting that most of you "North UPpers" go course up when things get tense.

And Marin, there actually is a North up mode on the displays. *It is the "Plan" mode but it doesn't move with the airplanes motion(at least I don't think....I have never left it on long enough to find out....to freaky). *It is simply for planning purposes....just like a chart.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Perkinston
Vessel Name: Boatless :(

North-up on plotter, course-up on radar.
ktischler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #51
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Rob wrote:
.....but I've gotta be honest in saying that even running for long periods of time North Up on the plotter when heading south I always have to think about which way to turn the wheel. In poor weather, close quarters, night time and fog*I do prefer to run course up so that my plotter view and the radar view are both course up.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Makes good sense to me & I'm out of here.*
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #52

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

We always use course up since it matches the radar and it's easier to identify the landmarks.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:Carey wrote
Carey, I don't mean to split hairs but the view out the windshield is HEADING up....jus sayin'.

John, You are so right. Marin and I were saying just that last night. Although, if I am following my course to a tee, are course and heading not the same?*

Old 02-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #54

City: South Puget Sound, WA

I think technically; Heading is the direction your bow is pointing, Course is the direction you intend to go, and Track is the direction you actually traveled (or think you traveled in the case of dead reckoning).

Garmin uses Track to define where you went and Route to define where you plan to go. I think for the purpose of this discussion Course, Heading or Track all apply to mean the opposite of North in the GPS display setting.

I've enjoyed all the comments. This is a great website and I'm glad I found you folks.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #55
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Coming in bit late, but for what it's worth, I use course or heading up, but quite happily refer to charts north up. That is because mentally the GPS is sort of like looking at what is out front of me like through the windscreen, but in relation to surrounding landmarks, and tells you where you are going NOW. Whereas when looking at the chart I am an eye in the sky, as it were, looking down on the boat, and taking in where we have come from, where we are heading, and where we are in relation to far off objects. In our main sailing area, we have many channels where it is almost like driving along with marker buoys like road signs, so course up just makes most sense. Way out in the ocean might be different, but if I had radar, even then I think I would go course up, but marking position and progress on a chart nearby as well.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #56
Guru

"the view out the windshield is HEADING up"

True. And more correctly I'll say I use heading up on my gps. And on those times when I have a paper chart at the helm I orient the chart heading up as well.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #57
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Having north "up" is an arbitrary convention.* Whenever navigating in the real world on land I will orient the map so that north on the map coincides with north in the world.* That way the map coincides with the real world (e.g., if I'm looking sourth on the map, I'm looking south in the real world.)* Similarly, I want radar and plotter to be aligned with the boat's orientation.* That way, what I see is what I expect without mental gymnastics.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #58
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Quote:
Carey wrote:

Although, if I am following my course to a tee, are course and heading not the same?*

If I understand the question, the answer would be not necessarily. *If there is a set or drift, then the answer to that question is "no". *Your heading will be different from your course.

And Jleonard, I would imagine you have heading input to your plotter if you use it in the "heading up" mode???...I am not sure how else you could display heading up without it.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #59

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Well, I am north up when I go north. Otherwise course up, of course.

North uppers... if you could, would you orient you radar north up?
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #60
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
xfedex wrote:

Well, I am north up when I go north. Otherwise course up, of course.

North uppers... if you could, would you orient you radar north up?
I could on my last boat, and no, not unlessI'm just playing with it. For collision avoidance, I want a clear picture of what's in front of me the same way I'd be seeing it out the hatch.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote