Old 01-14-2017, 03:42 AM   #1

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Towing and Shaft Brake

I have to tow my Kadey Krogen 42 later today and not having done this, am wondering if I will need to brake the shaft? The transmission is a "Velvet Drive" on the Ford Lehman 135.

And am guessing that the issue is overheating the transmission fluid? Our tow is estimated to take 2hr @ 5 knots and I can monitor the transmission temperature.

Why am I asking the Forum? I am having trouble reaching my regular mechanic.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:22 AM   #2

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
From all I can find your Velvet Drives will be fine as long as you stay below 7 to 8 knots. I'd keep an eye on the temp but don't think you'll have any problems.

Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Switch into forward gear, the shaft does not rotate, and lau does not have to worry about grease or high temperature.
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Guru

City: Miami
Water temp up that way is probably cold enough not to worry but you should monitor the shaft log temp in case you can't lock the shaft down.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
John:

I too have Velvet Drives. When this boat was new to me, I had deadhead damage to one prop, so did the rest of that trip, 50 hrs or so, on one. At the time, I checked, as you are doing, and was advised that VDs could take it. So far that has been the case. As other have advised, in cool waters, in fwd gear, there will be no warming of the transmission as long as you keep your speed below planing.

More recently, I had one engine down for the whole summer, so I put a pipe wrench on the shaft to act as a brake. I left the wrench a couple of inches away from engaging the stringer and found that my maximum speed on one engine of about 6.5 knots wasn't enough to turn the shaft and engage the wrench.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Switch into forward gear, the shaft does not rotate, and lau does not have to worry about grease or high temperature.
No, the shaft will rotate.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
No need to lock per BW manual.
Even if you did, don't put a pipe wrench on the shaft. Put it on the COUPLER if possible.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Hudson River
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #8

I am going to have a pipe wrench ready. I found an online Velvet Manual and it also advised that for slow speeds, a brake is not necessary.

Thanks for giving me help on this early in the morning. Off to Sidney we go at 11:00.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #9

City: Southern Baltic
Vessel Name: Sømarken
Vessel Model: AMS 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
No, the shaft will rotate.

Definitely because there isn't any hydraulic pressure to close the clutch as long as the input shaft (from engine) does not rotate. The gear output shaft will rotate as well as all gearing aft the clutch.

I would leave the gear in neutral. There won't be any significant load on the gear so I can't imagine that the gear itself would be harmed even if you would tow much longer with slow speed. All I would do is to check the ATF after the tow and change it if necessary.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDawn View Post
I have to tow my Kadey Krogen 42 later today and not having done this, am wondering if I will need to brake the shaft? The transmission is a "Velvet Drive" on the Ford Lehman 135.

And am guessing that the issue is overheating the transmission fluid? Our tow is estimated to take 2hr @ 5 knots and I can monitor the transmission temperature.

Why am I asking the Forum? I am having trouble reaching my regular mechanic.
You might check your gear's website, Borg Warner I think, for what they say about towing. It should be in the owners manual. The Alison gears I've had in the past forbid it, but my current Twin Disc gears allow the props to be freewheeled, checking the temp periodically. Since you're being towed, your engine is inop (?) If you can start the engine, it will also cool the gear down. But for your 2 hour trip at 5 kts, you likely need not be too concerned.
Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #11

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
Careful with pipe wrench. If you score the shaft and have to remove it, it could mess up your packless shaft seal.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #12
Guru

City: ??
Vessel Name: ??
Vessel Model: ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post

Sorry but that advice is incorrect. The Velvet drive is a hydraulic gear and without the hydraulic pump being run by the engine there is NO PRESSURE to do anything. A hydraulic gear WILL NOT LOCK THE PROPELLOR SHAFT by putting the shift lever in gear.

You would be correct with a mechanical gear such as many Hurths
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #13

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Just a thought about free wheeling -what happened if you have a water cooled dripless prop shaft seal?

With no engine, no cooling water, but a prop spinning at maybe half rpm. A problem?
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
Just a thought about free wheeling -what happened if you have a water cooled dripless prop shaft seal?

With no engine, no cooling water, but a prop spinning at maybe half rpm. A problem?
That's why you should have a valved cross over water feed line between the two shaft seals that you can open to feed the seal on the free wheeling shaft from the running engine.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:37 AM   #15

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
That's why you should have a valved cross over water feed line between the two shaft seals that you can open to feed the seal on the free wheeling shaft from the running engine.
Ahh Ha .. good thinking 99
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:37 AM   #16
Guru

City: Miami
Bill, I'm guessing this owner has single engine 42 because a twin wouldn't need a tow. In 40 degree water even a 50 degree rise in shaft log temp wouldn't be a problem and the velvet drive just won't care windmilling at 5 knots for two hours. For those who do need to use a shaft brake from time to time, a pair of 2x4's clamps, cable ties, marlin, even hose clamps can will prevent all kinds of problems.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #17
Guru

City: ACIW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
You would be very surprised at how many twin engine boats I have towed for all kinds of reasons.

On older Sea Ray's before the crossover tubing, we would just pull the hose and let it trickle into the bilge to keep a flow going. Even a tiny bilge pump easily kept up. Not the best solution, but in a pinch.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #18
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
The shaft seal is a major point, if it's dripless and the engine isn't running it's not lubricating the seal. I towed a NT 32 and the dripless started squealing so we wound up locking the shaft with a pipe wrench wrapped in rags on the coupler. I would imagine the transmission also uses the engine running to provide lubrication flow...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #19

Just as a post script, the tow went well. I was able to reach the mechanic before starting and he confirmed that a shaft break was not needed. Tow was most at 6 knots. Outside and water temperatures were in the 40s and the transmission never warmed above 95F (normal running temp is 130-140F). I have an old fashioned stuffing box so no issues with dripless seal; the box never got above 50F.

Here's a photo of the last bit of the tow - kind of close quarters, crew on the front deck helping with pike poles. The little tug had a 7hp Yanmar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GD_UnderTow2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	60466