Old 10-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
That dingy train does sound pretty redneck. I like it. 👍👍👍

I just think it would be nice to leave the big boat moored at say, Hopetown, and then visit the other spots from there. I've only been to the Abacos so don't know if that translates to other parts of the Bahamas. I would only go to the trouble of pulling a big dink if cruising for a month or so I think.
That's why you see so many boats now, both large and small, towing larger tenders in the Bahamas these day. Opens up a whole new world of fun and exploration.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #42
Guru

City: Northport
Towing a 19' Inflatable about 16 knots and 90' off the stern - self bailing hull with the motor tilted up (115 Yamaha) tracks well in all kinds of weather.

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:40 PM   #43
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44

We may try towing our Carolina Skiff 19 DLV. It's self-bailing and the hull is an improvement over the original semi-V while the draft is still measured in inches.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #44
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I have not tried towing my flat's boat (it's an 18' action craft with with a 115 hp etec, weighs about 1,500 lbs) at fast cruise with the mainship which is 15 knots, but I have towed it quite a bit with our old boat at around 8 knots. Most of the time, even in 2 to 4 the decks of the skiff wouldn't even get wet.

What I do at that speed is use two 5/8 polypro lines with thimbles spliced into one end. I use carabiners to connect the end of one tow line to the bow eye and the end of the other towline to the bow cleat on the skiff. I tie the other end of each tow line to each stern cleat on the big boat. I like the redundancy of the two lines with two attachment points in case one fails. The two lines also allow some lateral adjustment while underway.

There has been some discussion on here that the lines would bind on the stern cleats of the big boat using this technique, but I have not had a problem with that. I can see how it could possibly be an issue at higher speeds or with a heavier boat. I tow about 35' back.

I'm planning a Bahamas trip towing the skiff in the spring with the mainship, and I plan to run at higher speeds some, so I guess I will find out how it works. I'm planning on beefing up the bow eye on the skiff.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #45
Guru

City: Northport
"There has been some discussion on here that thelines would bind on the stern cleats of the big boat using this technique, butI have not had a problem with that. I can see how it could possibly be an issueat higher speeds or with a heavier boat. I tow about 35' back."
Hello Doug,
The 19' inflatable Nautica in the above picture was nevera problem and was above your 1500#'s without fuel - and we often had near 65gallons of fuel on board as well. I do believe any reasonably well chosen towbridle will be just fine at the cleats as we towed often at 16-17 knots and ashigh as 20 for brief periods of time.
One of the keys was to tow behind the 2nd wave and for usthat is a bit over 90'.
If that is not enough to make you more comfortable wealso towed a 24' RibCat that weighed in at about 3,200#'s with very similar results- the boat was more steady at the stern in poor weather.
One thing not mentioned here yet is that we did prop fortowing as well as heavy loads so the boat would still pull the required WOTrating +3-5% when towing.
In each case we made sure of the following:
- Towed boat had two well affixed and backed tow points
- Tow line was 3X working strength of estimated load
- Tow line had chafe attached at each joint and as necessary
- Tow line had a method for easy attach and removal
- Tow line floated and was easily coiled (amsteel)
- Floats attached where necessary
- Line at towing boat was very easy to attach to cleats
Here is a pic of the 24 under tow at about 16-17 knots...

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
With your small transom length, you will be limited in the size of dinghy that you can hoist across the transom on davits, and the size of the outboard. You won't get a dinghy that will give you true freedom, by allowing you a dry ride at 20mph or so. To get that, you will need to tow. I often tow my Caribe 12' with 40 hp, so I get the freedom and although I carry my dinghy on transom mounted davits, I know what hassles there are to towing. I once towed a 19' outdrive Hard speedboat. I only did it once, as the mass of that boat, at 1500 lb or more, turned it into a projectile when I slowed the big boat, requiring a dedicated crew member to keep it under control while maneuvering. Towing the 12' RIB, which weighs 750 lb, is much less hassle. It is its own fender, so I don't need to be concerned about damage caused by allowing it to romp around behind me. I keep it close at all speeds, on a painter that can't reach to the props, so I never need to even know where it is until I get where it could get between the big boat and its dock, and then it is easy to move. I always keep the outboard tilted up. I have never been in conditions where it could flip, and if you are in the San Juans and travel to the Broughtons, you never will.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #47
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Great discussion here.

One thing I will note: do not assume that because your tow line floats, it cannot get sucked into the prop when you go in reverse. As the old saying goes, don't ask me how I know this.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #48
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
If you want to tow close but maintain a set distance, use a poly rope pulled through a 1 1/4 PVC electrical conduit. This is a great way to keep it off your swim platform, and the rope out of the prop.

If you want stiffer setup, use two conduits in a Vee, one from each side of the swim platform. it will always keep the bow centered with your boat...

next question is day shapes... do you hoist the towing / under tow day shapes

Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:41 PM   #49
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Observed this today:

Old 10-31-2015, 11:27 PM   #50
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
If you want to tow close but maintain a set distance, use a poly rope pulled through a 1 1/4 PVC electrical conduit. This is a great way to keep it off your swim platform, and the rope out of the prop.

If you want stiffer setup, use two conduits in a Vee, one from each side of the swim platform. it will always keep the bow centered with your boat...

next question is day shapes... do you hoist the towing / under tow day shapes

Stu
Since my tow lines have never exceeded 200 meters, I've never displayed a day shape.

I have installed tow lights in most cases. I also install a light with a photo cell on it to mark my tows at night.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote