Towed home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• P4040020.jpg
    P4040020.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 210
I don't carry a spare, but have replaced my starter. It isn't a particularly difficult or time consuming job.

I would put a spare ECM on board before a spare starter. The solenoid is a good idea though, and as mentioned above, in a pinch, you can always move the starter from the running engine.

Starters should go out from use a whole lot more often in cars/trucks than in boats... due to the umpteen many more times of morning starts with several restarts day after day. Sooo... thinking along those lines... how often do you need a new starter in your car or truck; nor very often I'm sure.

One thing boat starters may experience (depending on how dry the bilge is kept – I keep ours bone dry) that afflicts their longevity is when they get consistently saturated with condensation/moisture; especially salt water moisture.

I can only recall changing one boat motor starter… that was on a 1975 50 hp Johnson O/B. I’ve owned several boats with I/B engines… one had its entire single motor replaced. One had both twin 350’s rebuilt. One had twin 350’s replaced with crate engines. All had starters that were still working just fine.

I’m surely not saying complete starter failure doesn’t happen on boats; just saying it’s rare and not happened to me… yet!

May the Marine Lord of Waterborne JuJu not place a starter curse on me for posting my own good experience with “Boat Starters”! :dance:

Happy Starter-Luck Daze - Art :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom