To tow or not to Tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Boats are all about compromise.* We have a 10 foot tender that has served us well over the past 5 years, but a growing family demands that we look for somthing bigger.* I just got back from checking out* a 13' center console, 40 hp. RIB*that would be perfect, except that I would be towing it instead of neatly setting it on the aft cabin.* the weight of this thing is around 1,150 lbs.* Our boat is 38' and I have some hesitation about dragging around that much weight.* It is a pain when docking, etc.* But*it would be awfully fun*running around in.* Anyone else with experience towing with a trawler and what kind of added fuel burn to be expected?*

We towed a similar tender for a number of years, and found that it decreased speed around .3-.4 kts even though it was usually placed on the forward part of a following wave.* This for a 7.5 kt boat.

The hassle of handling the tender around docks were not that big a problem, but it did narrow our weather window of crossing open water in rough weather conditions as it is possible for the towed boat to capsize given the right situation.* Have seen a couple of these.

The benefits of having a larger tender*are still worth the added complications (in our view) if you need to tow.

Here is a picture of my 13' RIB being towed at 10 knots. I have it too close to the boat for a good tow setup. I generally haul it up on the top deck, but for short trips I sometimes tow it.

Attachments

• towing rib.jpg
    towing rib.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 304
We towed our smaller RIB around the Gulf Islands last summer and just snubbed it up to the side when docking or anchoring. That one weighs around 350 lbs. The potential future RIB is Rendova and is essentially a fiberglass boat with a tube around it and weighs 3 times as much. My other option that I've been checlking out is going with a slightly bigger model than existing, still being able to lift it up and set it on the aft cabin. The problem is we are limited in size and can only fit one maybe 12" longer than our existing with out completely blocking the aft deck. Of course, if I'm towing the skiff, that frees up deck space for the sailing dinghy I'v been wanting...

I was towing an inflatable soft bottom Zodiac 8' when the wind came up 30knts. The thing was like a giant kite. Actually left the water and fliped over gotta watch it.

SD

We've towed our 10' + Achilles RIB (engine up) with 18hp Yamaha for years behind both of our 8 kt +/- boats (latest boat has done 13.7 kts over the ground with it in tow) in winds, including following winds, of up to 35 kts. No problems. Always watching the dink though, especially in high wind, following seas, and worrying about what might happen if we had to slam on the brakes for whatever reason. Would love to be able to haul and store the dink on board for open water runs, but on our current 32 footer the options are limited and a bit pricey. Would not give up the dink though. We love it.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Wednesday 11th of May 2011 03:26:56 PM

I have towed for years and still do when doing short hops. The old Achilles SE11 with a 15 merc towed for years, in some of the nastiest following seas I have been out in, no problems. Sometimes it would look like it was going to pass the trawler as it surfed down the front of a big wave, but always slowed before any sign of trouble. In a trip where a companion flipped a slightly smaller inflatable, mine was perfectly stable. I left my 85 lb outboard mounted, the other guy struggled his off and put it awway, then his dinghy flipped, cause it was too light and the 35 to 40 knot wind got under it. My current caribe is 750lb or more, tows well. With all that weight, it just parks behind the boat.

With that 1100 lb Rendova, there is no wind anywhere in BC capable of causing you a problem. A boat like that will change the way you boat. You will explore places you have always wanted to stop and see, just because you can now get there in a few minutes, instead of having to dedicate the best part of a day. Your wife will want to go in the dinghy, instead of avoiding it. That will get you out a lot more. You will get more Prawns, cause you can set your traps where they live, by spending 5 miniutes more to zip over to the good spot. Its all good.

I have towed various tenders for years including: 8' Penn Yann wood dinghy, various 10-12' inflatables, 13' Boston Whaler, 16' Alumacraft skiff, etc. I presently have a 20' Center Console outboard Seacraft and a 20' 'Walk-thru' inboard Shamrock that both tow well, although I will be selling one or the other soon as the Admiral has so ordered.
I have had a few minor problems including the temporary loss of the 13' foot whaler (luckily we turned around and found it) early on, but since I learned the value of a good tow eye and towing rig, I haven't had any issues including some pretty hilly gulf stream crossings.

If you tow on a regular basis you should have a set of portable towing lights for use if you are out after dark that can be mounted on your own boat, and you may want to consider a radar reflector on the tender.
Plus check with your insurance, some policies will not cover the tender when towing, only on board.

I lost a 9' west marine dink and a 2hp merc both less then a month old leaving the potomic in some huge following seas Saw it go but could not go back without risking life or boat Now I am to parnoid to tow anything

-- Edited by motion30 on Saturday 21st of May 2011 07:39:30 AM

motion30 wrote:
I lost a 9' west marine dink and a 2hp merc both less then a month old leaving the potomic in some huge following seas Saw it go but could not go back without risking life or boat Now I am to parnoid to two anything
*That's how I lost my Whaler 'way back when'* since that time, I have learned that several things can be done to tow safely in almost any condition in which you are willing to take the big boat out.* You must determine the proper tow length, too short is just as bad as too long;*you don't want a mountain of water between you and the towed boat*as*you will not be able to pull your tow 'through it'.* and you certainly don't want the tow crashing into your stern either.* You need a good strong tow eye on the towed boat at the proper height (usually just at the water line)*and a proper rig on the big boat (I like a bridle for a number of reasons) and you must have someone assigned to monitor the tow and make adjustments to the tow length as*dictated by the conditions and vessel speed.* there are some good articles on towing floating around the 'net.

I ran across this thread while looking for information on towing a tender. I'm considering the idea of towing an 18' Boston Whaler behind a 50' motorsailer (I know this is a trawler forum but I'm not a purest sailor and you guys seem to have bigger toys!)

Seems to me it would be a blast to have a "real" boat to fish and play with while in the islands instead of a little dink although I wouldn't want a Whaler running up my derriere in a following sea. Anybody ever consider or have any knowledge of using a solid tow rig verses line? Is there such a thing? Just a thought...not that I've seen one but you know "necessity is the mother of invention".

Il Pescatore wrote:
I ran across this thread while looking for information on towing a tender. I'm considering the idea of towing an 18' Boston Whaler behind a 50' motorsailer (I know this is a trawler forum but I'm not a purest sailor and you guys seem to have bigger toys!)

Seems to me it would be a blast to have a "real" boat to fish and play with while in the islands instead of a little dink although I wouldn't want a Whaler running up my derriere in a following sea. Anybody ever consider or have any knowledge of using a solid tow rig verses line? Is there such a thing? Just a thought...not that I've seen one but you know "necessity is the mother of invention".
*Have never seen what you are talking about, although some of the under transom step cradles could possibly qualify in a limited way.

The forces put on such a connection would be considerable, and would require significant engineering and critical support on both vessels.

Tugs are able to connect to their barges (pushing ahead) in an articulated system (both vessels move to the sea seperately), but everything about the barge and tug's specially designed and constructed connection system is a significant cost item.* And even then, it has limitations.

Make sure you have a good towing point, a good line, and*sufficient experience to know how much towline to put out so as to preclude "a Whaler running up my derriere in a following sea."****

Good luck.*

As yet unmentioned, if you leave a dink in the water for a couple of months you will have little baby barnacles at the end of the season, at least in the PNW.* They come off with a stiff brush and a little effort.*

Jay N wrote:
Tugs are able to connect to their barges (pushing ahead) in an articulated system (both vessels move to the sea seperately).....
*I work in the Gulf of Mex and I have never seen a Tug pushing a barge in open water. I have only seen that on rivers, bays and bayous. In open water in rough weather they tow on a fairly long line.

I'm not saying that they dont push in open water, just saying I have never seen it.

Tony B wrote:Jay N wrote:
Tugs are able to connect to their barges (pushing ahead) in an articulated system (both vessels move to the sea seperately).....
*I work in the Gulf of Mex and I have never seen a Tug pushing a barge in open water. I have only seen that on rivers, bays and bayous. In open water in rough weather they tow on a fairly long line.

I'm not saying that they dont push in open water, just saying I have never seen it.

*There are a number of articulated tug/barge combinations that I have seen working off the west coast by pushing ahead.* COASTAL RELIANCE, COMMITMENT, GALVESTON, GULF RELIANCE, INTEGRITY, OCEAN RELIANCE, PACIFIC RELIANCE, SEA RELIANCE, SKIPJACK, SOUND RELIANCE and TARPON.

Not all of the above may be working here now, and there may be un-named others that have replaced them.* From my reading of various maritime mags, there are also a number in the Gulf and East Coast.* Crowley, Penn Maritime, U.S. Shipping, Bouchard, K-Sea and a number of others have equipment designed/built to do this.

Some of them have sea/swell limitations (starting around 15'*), so they don't always go out if big storms are forecast.

-- Edited by Jay N on Saturday 30th of July 2011 09:21:25 PM

Jay

I am confused. I thought articulated tug/barge combinations were what we call 'composite units'. The tug hooks up and they act as a single unit. Looks like a solid ship when hooked up and in the sea, it acts as a solid unit.
In your previous post you stated "Tugs are able to connect to their barges (pushing ahead) in an articulated system (both vessels move to the sea seperately)".

I'm confused.

(both vessels move to the sea seperately)".

I'm confused.

In other words they don't act as a solid boat would , but each reacts to the sea , although connected by the pin mechanism.

I am puzzled by this too, I did a search and found some pix of "articulated tugs" but none hooked up to a barge to see how it is set up, anyone know where I can find some. I have seen what are sometimes called Notch systems, the stern of the barge has a notch and the tug slips its bow in there and is semi ridgid, like a ship.

I remember a thread years ago on some forum, about a rig someone had devised. Two pvc or fiberglass pipes in a V shape, the point of the V at the dinghy's bow, the tow legs attached to the towing boats transom corners all held together with rope. It was to tow the dinghy but supposed to keep the dinghy away from the boat. I never did see one or hear more about it so it maybe didn't work as planned. I don't think it would work well in significant seas.

Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Sunday 31st of July 2011 06:37:35 AM

There is a very big difference between articulated tug and barge (ATB) and composite units.
Composite units are hydraulically locked together as one unit, think ship like. They very seldom seperate and act at sea as one.

ATBs' are connected by retractable pins that extend out from the bow of the tug, that lock in to "ladders" or holes in the notch of a
specifically designed barge. The pins can be hydraulic (intercon system) or, pneumatic (JAK couple system). There are others bludworth etc.
The movement of the tug is one axis only, it pivots on the pins extended from the bow 90 degrees to the side. So when at sea, the tug will pitch to a different motion as the barge, but its much dampened, and they both roll as a unit.
The benefit to ATB is better speed, fuel economy and ability to enter harbors that they wouldn't be able to enter with wire tows.
Southwest pass (entering Mississippi) is a good example. Wire tows would have to wait for wx to come down to enter, now with atbs-come in any wx. No worrying with picking up the barge.
K-sea used to have an ATB called the Kara Sea that had a regular run from New Orleans to Pakistan hauling soybean oil.
Because the pins are exposed to sal****er, they are lubricated with a Vegetable oil based grease to be pollution free.

Some of the older composite (or integrated) units we used to see on the West Coast were built by Hess and later owned/operated by US Shipping.* ITB BALTIMORE, GROTON, NEW YORK, JACKSONVILLE, MOBILE, PHILADELPHIA.* I believe these are all retired from the petroleum transporation business now.

The tug part of the unit could only be separated at a shipyard under tightly controlled stability conditions.* Couldn't even safely operate by themselves, had to have tugs push them around.* The ATB's, on the other hand, are able to put the barge on a towline, if needed, and safely tow, although there are typically a number of limitations when compared with conventional towing vessels (some of the ATB's don't have tow winches and the ability to put the barge on a long tow line).

The primary purpose behind the ITB's (and to a lesser extent, the ATB's) was to drastically reduce manning and construction costs when compared with tankers of the same size.* Only recently have ATB's been constructed to the size of*small tankers.

Check out the following link for Crowley's ATB information:

http://www.crowley.com/What-We-Do/Petroleum-and-Chemical-Transportation/Articulated-Tug-Barges-ATBs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom