Old 04-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Tow Boats vs Boat US

I have had both services and have nothing but good things to say about them. That being said when your cruising ground is the East Coast and the Bahamas is there any advantage to having both. At less than $200 a year per each that is not a budget buster.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Mule, I've personally always felt if we ever did any serious cruising that having both would be a no-brainer. Like you said at less than $200 it ain't exactly a budget buster.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I was prepared to add SeaTow to our existing TowBoatUS membership, but never got around to it, and never had occasion to wish I had, in cruising the entire eastern seaboard and attached tributaries. And I did have occasion to twice make use of TBUS and was very happy with the service both out of Beaufort, NC and Little River SC.
Now, of course, that was my luck. Perhaps there's some places where SeaTow is better choice. Best to look at your cruising grounds in detail and decide, but I certainly can't argue with the cheap belt and suspenders approach either.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The biggest advantage I see to having both is you MAY get a better response time....

99% of the time...that may not matter...that one time might pay for a decade of having the other one too.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
We have both and have never officially used either. We've only used them for information, which they are great on. Along the heavy cruising grounds of the East Coast, it isn't necessary. However, you may just find the one you don't have closest when you need one. The cost compared to everything else is just so little, we felt like we couldn't pass.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I have been a TowBoatUS member for 14 years or so and don't see an advantage to paying for two memberships that provide the same service.

When cruising, TowBoatUS membership provides discounts on dockage and fuel at some marinas.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I have been a TowBoatUS member for 14 years or so and don't see an advantage to paying for two memberships that provide the same service.

When cruising, TowBoatUS membership provides discounts on dockage and fuel at some marinas.
We cruise large areas and while there aren't a lot, there are areas with no TowBoatUS or where SeaTow might be closer. Most of these are small businesses and on a busy holiday or weekend, your first choice might have many boats in front of you. This is especially an issue if they have a salvage and environmental situation that calls for all hands there. Again, rare, but happens.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Sea Tow also has some discounts though probably not as much as BoatUS for sheer area/volume.

There are areas where one or the area has a distinct advantage for assistance as well as advice. No other towboat operator knew my area as well as I did...it just wasn't their home water...no reflection on their overall capability.

Read the fine print as one does a few things that the other doesn't for basic and even advanced coverage and vice versa.

One key advantage to both..is if you are a member of one hat is really good in your home area and you cruise there a lot or have multiple vessels...yet the other has strength in adjoining areas and for stretches where the other is a newcomer or doesn't have much in the way of assets.

Need both? Nope...but as some have said here and many cruisers I have towed and met...often having both tow plans is more common than many think. Like others have said and insurance in general....Is it worth it to you?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Read the fine print as one does a few things that the other doesn't for basic and even advanced coverage and vice versa.
Great point as there are differences. Those might never be important to you or might be key the one time you need them.