Toured a Nordhavn 55 yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Goodness, it's only 11 feet longer than my boat but felt like a small ship in comparison. Just a massive boat built like an absolute tank. Super impressive.

We went into the engine room (four of us) and actually had a conversation in there.

Boat was in great condition. Definitely didn't look 10 years old inside or out, which speaks to the build quality.

Here are some photos that give a sense of size. My son is almost 6'5" for context. IMG_1744.jpgIMG_1759.jpgIMG_1757.jpgIMG_1750.jpgIMG_1747.jpg

The freeboard is amazing. How high is it actually?

Why did you tour it? Im assuming its for sale?

Last edited:
Run away... Nordhavn's are the boating equivalent to crack.. highly addictive.
HOLLYWOOD

I am jealous, damned so much jealous I am :)

L

We toured a couple before we bought Sonas. They are fine boats, but with one pretty major drawback. The guest cabin is marketed as a double but is really only suitable for a single, unless you have two really small people who don't mind their feet being together at the bottom of the bed!
We really needed a full queen guest bunk, the small second bunk was a show stopper for us.

The freeboard is amazing. How high is it actually?

Why did you tour it? Im assuming its for sale?

Yup, it is for sale (although under contract I believe). We are a little ways out from seriously considering a purchase, but I was in Dana Point for the holiday so wanted to take the opportunity to swing by and see this boat as it's in the size range we'd be looking at. There was a 63 here a few weeks ago that would have been great to see as well, but it's up in Seattle now.

We toured a couple before we bought Sonas. They are fine boats, but with one pretty major drawback. The guest cabin is marketed as a double but is really only suitable for a single, unless you have two really small people who don't mind their feet being together at the bottom of the bed!
We really needed a full queen guest bunk, the small second bunk was a show stopper for us.

True. For it's size the bedrooms aren't super spacious. Your comment made me think of a question. Do most people sleep in a v-berth need with their head toward the bow, or feet towards the bow?

I've always assumed heads toward the bow, but when the mattress is cut at an angle, having feet together might provide more room.

I met the owner of Long Time Dead in Cartagena Colombia a year or two ago. I was headed to Puerto Rico and he was headed to Dominican Republic. I was onboard for a bit, the headroom was amazing. He was very tall, like 6’6” or more. He was/is a member here.

What is the slip availability for a boat that size in the Bay Area? If you walked in to most marinas in SoCal and told them you needed a slip for a 55 ft. boat, you would be on the wait list a long time, ie, many years.

What is the slip availability for a boat that size in the Bay Area? If you walked in to most marinas in SoCal and told them you needed a slip for a 55 ft. boat, you would be on the wait list a long time, ie, many years.

I believe there are slips that size available in Alameda.

I though our boat was tall but we have nothing on a nordy.

We looked at an N62 in Anacortes earlier this year. Not as a serious buyer, more as a curious, depending on life and future decisions, potential buyer. Impressive boats but you definitely give up accommodations and a bit of luxury for fuel, systems and seaworthiness. I suppose that’s the point of a Nordhavn. They are little ships which is appealing.

The newer models (N55, N63) seem to have a better balance between form and function than the older (N46, N62) but I’m a sucker for rugged, salty looks so the N62 really appeals to me on many levels.

I also love the classic lines and roomy accommodations of a Cheoy Lee 65 or a fantail Feadship so clearly I need two boats and a winning lotto ticket [emoji6]

Last edited:
Michael B,

If your looking for a better guest cabin bed look at the 57's, they have a great guest cabin berth with a big skylight directly overhead. They also are faster and quite fuel efficient and have a great overall layout. I have a lot of sea miles in a N57 and it will be on my short list in the future.

HOLLYWOOD

Michael B,

If your looking for a better guest cabin bed look at the 57's, they have a great guest cabin berth with a big skylight directly overhead. They also are faster and quite fuel efficient and have a great overall layout. I have a lot of sea miles in a N57 and it will be on my short list in the future.

HOLLYWOOD

Thanks Hollywood, will do..if there are any around when we're ready to purchase!

There are a number of them with a centerline queen for the guest quarters. We currently own one of them.

Just a guess but, I suspect the office can be converted into at least a single berth stateroom or perhaps bunk beds.

What's the deal with the vessels name?? "Long time dead"?

There is a saying back in Ireland that gets to living while you can: "you'll be a long time dead!"

There is a saying back in Ireland that gets to living while you can: "you'll be a long time dead!"

Hmmm, I heard it as, "May you be in heaven before the devil know you are dead."

Michael , are you okay with cutting your cruise speed in half (or more)? You're in a "fast" boat now.

Michael , are you okay with cutting your cruise speed in half (or more)? You're in a "fast" boat now.

I typically cruise around 13 or 14 knots. But I could easily cruise around 18 knots without feeling like the engines were working too hard.

As to the question, I think I'd be just fine. If we were to purchase a Nordhavn (or other full displacement trawler), it would be for retirement, and therefore we would have much more time and flexibility.

And of course, there is the economics of it all. Going faster in most boats means using a lot more fuel (and money). And while I should be able to retire comfortably, like most people I won't have unlimited funds. So the economics of cruising long-distances at hull speed are appealing.

That all said, do I foresee there being times where I'd say to myself, "my goodness, this is taking forever"? Yes. :)

Not to hijack the thread, but responding to the v-berth sleeping arrangement question, we do not do either. We purchased a queen size memory foam topper and using electric shears, cut it to essentially European full size dimensions. (56" x 70") The thick pad fits in the v-birth crosswise and easily accepts full size fitted sheets. Like a summer camp cot, we leave the bed made up and roll it up to the bulkhead when not in use. Please don't use our dimensions for your boat without measuring.

I typically cruise around 13 or 14 knots. But I could easily cruise around 18 knots without feeling like the engines were working too hard.

As to the question, I think I'd be just fine. If we were to purchase a Nordhavn (or other full displacement trawler), it would be for retirement, and therefore we would have much more time and flexibility.

And of course, there is the economics of it all. Going faster in most boats means using a lot more fuel (and money). And while I should be able to retire comfortably, like most people I won't have unlimited funds. So the economics of cruising long-distances at hull speed are appealing.

That all said, do I foresee there being times where I'd say to myself, "my goodness, this is taking forever"? Yes. :)

Yup, going slow in a Nordhavn might be slow but, you are doing it in real style and comfort especially if you have the hydraulic stabilizers.

Last edited:
Ballena Bay on the West side of Alameda just put in new docks and has lots of room.

Back
Top Bottom