Old 08-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
We have the Furuno 1942, 4’ open array. 20+ years and still going strong. Original magnetron. Furuno’s support for older units is unsurpassed in the marine industry.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
We have the Furuno 1942, 4’ open array. 20+ years and still going strong. Original magnetron. Furuno’s support for older units is unsurpassed in the marine industry.
My boat came to me with an old Furuno radar. I don't recall the model #, but it was the style that had you put your face in the hood and wait until your eyes adjusted to the screen brightness. Then the image was great. You would see gulls flying, driftwood on the water, everything well defined. 4' open array.
When the Magnetron failed, the Furuno tech recommended tossing the whole unit, as it was way obsolete. I didn't get a price on a replacement magnetron, as I was ready for an upgrade.

I went to a JRC that has a much brighter screen, closed array, no problems whatsoever in just under 1000 hours.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I’m going to the boat today. I will search through the menus to see if I can find out how many hours it has on it. At 20 years old, I won’t be replacing the magnetron if it starts to fail. The unit is turned on and continually adjusted as we travel, depending on the required range and environmental conditions. I’ll bet we’ve got 1500 hours on the unit ourselves.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #24
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Found it. Not on the Stand-By screen, in our base. Instead, it shows up in the Self-Test.

2862.8 total, 1680.9 transmit. Total tracks pretty well with our engine ours, ~2535 just now.

The manual says life expectancy of our Magnetron is 2000-3000 hours, including stand-by time. Not to worry; if it craps out we'll just get a newer one, color, overlay onto plotter possible, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
My boat came to me with an old Furuno radar.

When the Magnetron failed, the Furuno tech recommended tossing the whole unit, as it was way obsolete. I didn't get a price on a replacement magnetron, as I was ready for an upgrade.

Yeah, I should have mentioned ours is 17 years old... so if it goes, it's an excuse for us to get newer technology. Although I can't think of any new capabilities I need...

-Chris
Old 08-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Yeah, I should have mentioned ours is 17 years old... so if it goes, it's an excuse for us to get newer technology. Although I can't think of any new capabilities I need...

-Chris
I bought a new Furuno 1831 around 10 years ago to replace my 1830. It had a lot of cool features that I didn't use and the return on the screen was not as clear as the 1830. I took it out and sold it. Luckily, it was a second radar on the boat so the 1830 was not removed.

I eventually purchased a used Furuno FCR1100 open array and installed that for a second radar.

The 1830 is still working great!
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #26
TBW

City: Easton
All I can add is another A+ for Furuno. Service cannot be equaled. Better than that. More than that is the help when you need it. Really serious help when you really really need it. They have bailed me out more than a few times. They always have time. They always help.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:30 PM   #27
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I had a Furuno FR 360 Mk II on my boat for a number of years until the range selector failed and nobody would fix it. Was on a cruise and needed ANYTHING available and grabbed a Garmin pieces of sh off the shelf and installed it and went on my merry way. Put two maggies into in a few years. Not so dependable. This boat has another Furuno (1824C) with no exposed range switches and not giving me any trouble so far..
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:35 PM   #28
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:

-Chris
Chris, you may not need any new capabilities, but when the time comes you might want to check out Furuno’s solid state Doppler offerings. Despite Panbo’s rave reviews, I thought the target ID feature was probably a gimmick, but actually found it very useful—especially one Sunday afternoon on Lake Michigan where pleasure boaters were zipping all around us like a swarm of bees. It was helpful to get an indication of which of the many dozens of boats within a mile or two of us were potentially going to cross us and which were likely not. It also worked great in some fairly dense fog on the Illinois River. And the price, for the dome at least, is hard to beat. Just FWIW.
Attached Thumbnails
EE098FEC-5799-4636-84E5-D51BFB5A4B56.jpg  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Older technology on mine, but I use track shadow on my Furuno 1824C with selectable time to see what is moving in other than the opposite direction from my course.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Chris, you may not need any new capabilities, but when the time comes you might want to check out Furuno’s solid state Doppler offerings. Despite Panbo’s rave reviews, I thought the target ID feature was probably a gimmick, but actually found it very useful—especially one Sunday afternoon on Lake Michigan where pleasure boaters were zipping all around us like a swarm of bees. It was helpful to get an indication of which of the many dozens of boats within a mile or two of us were potentially going to cross us and which were likely not. It also worked great in some fairly dense fog on the Illinois River. And the price, for the dome at least, is hard to beat. Just FWIW.

Thanks. And that particular display example is very illustrative.

-Chris
Old 08-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #31
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Thanks. And that particular display example is very illustrative.

-Chris
Just to clarify, that’s just a shot of a bridge that loomed up out of the fog on the Illinois one morning. Wish I’d taken some shots of the Furuno display. We saw it very clearly on radar, of course, but would have had to stop without it.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #32
Guru

Ah. Got it, thanks for clarification.

-Chris
Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #33

City: Truckee
Vessel Name: M/V Odyssey
Vessel Model: Rodriquez, Trawler
Radar

I have no idea how many hours my FURUNO RADAR has. It's a four foot open array unit, twenty years old. Engine hr 5800. We turn the RADAR unit on when leavinvg port. Will turn off when arriving next port. We learned the vommercial people leave their RADAR units on all the time. This unit has to accumulated thousands of hours. Works wonderfully.
dbaoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #34
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
...Most importantly, you look cooler with a large open array going around.

Ted
That is true. I was at a dinner party a few weeks ago and somebody asked me if my boat was big enough to have one of those "spinny-twirly things" on top. Why yes, we do have radar - although I didn't mention it's a closed array. Wonder if I can remove the cover so people can see the twirly thing spin, that would look cooler.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote