Old 04-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Cost of course is always an issue, but if I was to buy a new dinghy outboard and wanted more power, I would seriously look at propane. I is pretty easy to store and easy to find. Plus, I already use propane on board. But for puttering around an anchorage, the Torqeedo is great.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:56 PM   #22

City: Edmonds
I have a Torqueedo 1003 for use on an 8' inflatable. It is very well designed and convenient to store on board. Unfortunately after a year the lower in the water unit failed due to what the authorized service agency said was a design flaw. They had several returns. Torqueedo did not do a recall but offered to replace with the new design for $900 which was half the cost of the original. I also found their US parts service and 800 number service is very indifferent. If you have a reliable unit as others who have posted have enjoyed it is a very sound albeit expensive option for a dinghy. If you have a failure like I did (and I was told it was not uncommon) I think you will find service very slow and hard to locate. Check their website for authorized service facilities in your area.

lashobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
A 12V trolling motor will push a canoe at its hull speed for several hours with one Group 27 battery.
No need for the 24V or 36V models? When we've traveled, we've been fully laden -- as in supplies for at least a week, tents, etc. -- and with 2 paddlers aboard. I'm thinking about one stretch we hit where we had to paddle upriver for a bit (back-tracking) to reach a decent take-out point. Darn near wore us out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
However, the Torqeedo is very light and compact. It uses Lithium battery technology. A decent sized Li battery with charger could easily run $800+. Then you still have to buy the trolling motor.

I see their website says the Li-Ion battery on the 1003S is rated at 530 Wh. (Wh??)

Is that approx. 44 Ah?

Quick search, I see this 32 Ah rechargeable Li battery for about $400:

http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-...FQIfhgodAF0PbQ

-Chris
Old 04-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
I had the same motor. It was very loud for its size (my 20HP Yamaha is considerably quieter.) I ended up replacing the carburetor twice too (probably because I left it outside too much in salt air.) If I end up adding a second tender to my current boat then I'd get a lightweight inflatable and an electric motor (maybe a Torqeedo).

Richard
I had the choice of a Honda or a Suzuki (I needed to be able to store it on the flybridge and lift it on and off the dinghy). The Honda is air cooled, the Suzuki water cooled. I figured the Honda had a better reputation and no impeller to change. It's been OK for me so far.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #25
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I see their website says the Li-Ion battery on the 1003S is rated at 530 Wh. (Wh??)

Is that approx. 44 Ah?

Quick search, I see this 32 Ah rechargeable Li battery for about $400:

LiFePO4 26650 Rechargable Battery: 12.8V 32Ah (410Wh) - Replace SLA Battery with lighter weight & Higher Capacity - UN38.3 Passed (DGR)

-Chris
No - it's 18Ah because the battery voltage is 29.6V. Ah is only a useful measure of energy stored if you also know the battery voltage. Most (not all) of us have 12V systems so when we say 100Ah we also mean 1200Wh. Wh is a direct measure of energy equal to 3600 Joules.

I was looking at 50 Ah LiPo batteries since that was the size quoted with the trolling motors I was looking at. The charger was about $150.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #26
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
No - it's 18Ah because the battery voltage is 29.6V.

Ah, didn't notice the voltage spec, just assumed 12V. Thanks.

-Chris
Old 03-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #27

City: BROOKFIELD, WI
Ready to buy a Torqeedo 1003 C

I heard there can be problems when changing from forward to reverse givng error messages. True or false?
I own a Windrider 17 trimaran sailboat. Dry weight is 400 lbs plus gear & 2 people. Anybody have experience with how much speed i could get on my lake. It us 4.5 miles long and our club is about half way on the length. I use a Minn Kota 60# thrust motor now yo mainly get out of the ramp and back in or if the eind died down.
Thoughts?
FrankP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #28
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankP View Post
I heard there can be problems when changing from forward to reverse givng error messages. True or false?

I own a Windrider 17 trimaran sailboat. Dry weight is 400 lbs plus gear & 2 people. Anybody have experience with how much speed i could get on my lake. It us 4.5 miles long and our club is about half way on the length. I use a Minn Kota 60# thrust motor now yo mainly get out of the ramp and back in or if the eind died down.

Thoughts?

I haven't experienced that issue with my Torqeedo. I have no idea how fast it would push your sailboat. I believe they say that the 1003 is about the equivalent of a 3hp gas engine. You can use that as a guide. Keep in mind that at full power, it will only give you about 35 minutes of use. However at a moderate power it will run for hours.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote