Tornado in Kentucky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that line of weather moving east had some micro burst type winds, blew over many tree’s with high winds mixed with rain.

Holy carp! Those people were damn lucky.

It didn’t take long from start to finish. No way to prepare for that or even get away.

I am often amazed at how long people stay out with forecast bad weather, and visually approaching bad weather.

I am often amazed at how long people stay out with forecast bad weather, and visually approaching bad weather.

:thumb: Sometimes when they do get to the dock they get caught up in the spectacle. Even allowing for the foreshortening effect of the camera that makes the disintegrating covered docks appear nearer than they are, one guy just doesn’t seem to see the need to take cover. Looks like he’s more concerned about losing his hat.

I repeated the CNN angle that this was a tornado, but now wonder if it was a microburst. Not sure I’d be taking the time to put the top down if I saw a funnel cloud approaching.

Lived in Kentucky for 15 years. They can come on fast...but the local news stations have doppler radar capabilities that are VERY impressive (the center of the cell will be over St Mathews at 5:12 PM, the Mall at 5:13, the Highlands Neighborhood at 5:16, etc.). Of course this assumes you're watching TV.

Coming from the Northeast I was used to hurricanes where we often had days of notice. Once in KY I was completely freaked out that something that could level your home could spool up in five minutes.

Glad these folks are OK. Scary to watch, can't imagine seeing a marina flipping end over end toward me.

When that storm hit I was 10 miles away, working on our boat, which is out of the water at the moment. About 15 minutes before it hit the marina manager came by and said "better hunker down, nasty storm coming". Not the best time to be on a boat on jack stands. We got some heavy, but short rains, a few big gusts, then it was gone. A couple hours later I heard what had happened just up the lake.

Pack Mule... I guess we are kind of neighbors for now. I'm just a little north of you on KY Lake for the rest of the summer.

Back
Top Bottom