Old 04-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_JimS View Post

Filters will not fill by gravity alones.
They will if the fuel level is above the top of the filter...

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
If you go to the Racor web site you will see they sell a brass replacement drain for the bottom to replace the cheap plastic unit. They leak with age and use. That why they sell the better brass on/off unit. With out the metal bowls she will not pass insurance inspection. If a vessel manufacturer installed that cheap unit in that space, I would question the rest of the engineering on the vessel and further inspect for more blunders.
Well YMMV but the plastic drains aren't cheap and they last for decades from my experience. If they leak, the cause is most often from over tightening. And changing the seal fixes that.

The reason they sell the metal valve really has little or nothing to do with the plastic unit.

Hundreds of recreational boats pass survey and are insured with out the stupid metal bowls. If fact the vast majority of boats I've run and been on up to and over 140' didn't have the metal bowls, passed survey and were/are insured.

But again, YMMV.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_JimS View Post

Filters will not fill by gravity alone.
Fortunately, diesel fuel (and gasoline), nor most filters, seem to know that.

Or they are purposely ignoring it.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #24
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlinLA View Post
Hi All:

Question... what do you use to back fill the Racor filter housing when changing filters?
Since installing the new Vetus engine & filter setup, I just turn on the key and the electric fuel pump primes a new set of filters and bleeds the lines in about 20 seconds.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
I installed two three way valves, one ahead of the filter and one on the outlet side. The one ahead of the filter allows me to pump in fuel with a squeeze bulb. The one past the filter isolates the rest of the fuel system when changing filters. One outlet goes to the engine and the other one allows me to drain fuel into a container while pumping in fuel with the squeeze bulb until the filter is full.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #26
FF
Guru

'Hundreds of recreational boats pass survey and are insured with out the stupid metal bowls. If fact the vast majority of boats I've run and been on up to and over 140' didn't have the metal bowls, passed survey and were/are insured.'

THIS IS MORE OF A COMMENT ON THE KNOWLEDGE BASE Of SURVEYORS !
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #27
Guru

City: kemah
ABYC standards for inboard fuel filter installations for gasoline or diesel engines require that filters installed within the engine space must be able to pass a two and one-half minute heat test as defined by ANSI/UL 1105.

Lots of marine insurance companies use abyc standards.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Spin on fuel filters work well in tight places. If you were to consider relocating the Racors, spin ons in existing location may be an option.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #29

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
If you go to www.sbmar web site Tony has a big section on spin on filters and his view on Racor type units. He has a great web site with tons of info. Worth your time to peruse it. When you are hired by an insurance company to go out and inspect a damage vessel, they always say, Find something wrong. Devalue, delay, decline. Many vessels live their whole lives without a problem with installations that ABYC would not pass, but when the insurance claim Goes in, you will loose.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
'Hundreds of recreational boats pass survey and are insured with out the stupid metal bowls. If fact the vast majority of boats I've run and been on up to and over 140' didn't have the metal bowls, passed survey and were/are insured.'

THIS IS MORE OF A COMMENT ON THE KNOWLEDGE BASE Of SURVEYORS !
Exactly! They understand that if flames have had time to come up around the bowls of your fuel filters you should be long off the boat and waiting for the professionals to take care of the remains.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #31
Guru

I have a squeeze bulb priming system that works well. I have just enough clearance, and with some effort, to get the filters out.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #32
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Then open those valves with the filter casing top on but not tightened down. Wait for fuel to rise in the casing then tighten the top. Works for me.

Ours work this way, too.

-Chris
Old 04-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #33
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Exactly! They understand that if flames have had time to come up around the bowls of your fuel filters you should be long off the boat and waiting for the professionals to take care of the remains.
Exactly. If you have a fire that hot and that low in the boat for long enough to melt the unshielded bowl, the boat is already done.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #34
FF
Guru

"Exactly. If you have a fire that hot and that low in the boat for long enough to melt the unshielded bowl, the boat is already done."

The metal bowl is to help the plastic filter bowl not burn for the 2 1/2 min while you collect the ditch bag , put out a MAYDAY and inflate and load the life raft.

Simply relocating the filters out of the engine room , which makes servicing them almost pleasant, may also help in a fire.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #35

City: San Pedro, CA
Vessel Name: Satori
Vessel Model: 1985 Fu Hwa
Well...

No pictures from the event but new filters are in there.

A clue from Delta Jim helped... that there is a switch near the fuel pump to turn it on and off while sitting (barely) at the filters.

I took a 16-oz plastic bottle down there as my refill vessel but could not figure out how to fill it from the system. So I forged ahead without the ability to backfill.

The filters are changed but I suppose I left several inches of air space in there in the process.

Hopefully the pump cycled the air out and to the tanks or anywhere but the engine...

Plus - when pushing down the second filter I managed to splash diesel out of the filter... grrrrrrrr.

Plus Plus - while I am ranting - why do the racor handles cross the line of flow when open and are in line when closed - unlike other ball joints?

Anyway - started the engine and ran it for 15-minutes or so - ran normal.

Do these engines have a system that bleeds/directs air back to the tanks?

Going to have to do a better job next time.
CarlinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:59 AM   #36
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Nice job Carlin. I need to do that on my boat for the first time here pretty soon. My access is a lot easier than yours however.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote