Top Ten Rules Of The Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting thread.

I have no rules. I'm more a reason and common sense kind of guy. If you don't have either, you probably won't be aboard anyways.

PS: Red wine welcomed.

Greetings,
Er, Captrigney, wouldn't your a**hole be facing the bowl if you're sitting or is there some sort of anatomical anomaly at work here?

Exactly, only a-holes are allowed to be towards bowl. Kind of a double entendre. Sit down to think about it. :D:D

And I thought I was the only oddball on here.

Nope... Same here. I have spilled my share of it on the inside and the outside and I defy anyone to show me where. What's my secret? Beats me. We (and when I say "we" I mean "Bess") washes it regularly and it seems to just go away on its own in a day or two. No harm done and no special chemicals.

Mine are simple and to the point:

1. This is not a democracy- there is only 1 skipper on board, and he ain't you.
  2. Lifejackets are located in the flybridge storage lockers.
  3. There is zero tolerance for illegal drugs onboard.
  4. If you have a question, ask.
  5. One hand for you, and one for the ship. If asked to help, please do so.
  6. Enjoy yourselves!

We host a fair number of cruises with our yacht club and various civic organizations, and have never had a problem.

Mine are simple and to the point:

1. This is not a democracy- there is only 1 skipper on board, and he ain't you.
  2. Lifejackets are located in the flybridge storage lockers.
  3. There is zero tolerance for illegal drugs onboard.
  4. If you have a question, ask.
  5. One hand for you, and one for the ship. If asked to help, please do so.
  6. Enjoy yourselves!

We host a fair number of cruises with our yacht club and various civic organizations, and have never had a problem.

That makes perfect sense, is direct and to the point. In the event of a violation of Rule #3, I can see tossing the contraband overboard. But red wine? :eek: That's sacrilege in my circles and could very well lead to a mutiny.

That makes perfect sense, is direct and to the point. In the event of a violation of Rule #3, I can see tossing the contraband overboard. But red wine? :eek: That's sacrilege in my circles and could very well lead to a mutiny.

Al, I always give a pre-underway briefing before we leave the dock, unless it's just Kathy and I- I make it clear that there is zero tolerance. The other part of the zero tolerance is a report the the USCG and local LEO if contraband is discovered onboard once underway.

Red wine is a staple onboard Pau Hana- we never leave dock without it :)

Wow, I knew as soon as I posted that rule about red wine I'd be taking some hits for it.

Part of the reason for the prohibition is that we do several charity cruises every year. On a couple of them the guests bring their own wine. Lots of it, and a few have gotten pretty looped and several glasses of wine have been spilled. Fortunately it was white wine so no harm, no foul.

Here's what the salon looks like....
img_194763_0_249910d6be61008ac4d3efb6a9605149.jpg

img_194763_1_3b13d5d8499c18db7388a3c3e10d3027.jpg

If someone spilled a good Cabernet in there I don't know if Wine Away would make it all disappear. I'd rather not have to put it to the test. This way, nobody has to be embarrassed about spilling a glass of wine.

Wow. I guess I see your point. It's like being in a can of whip cream with throw pillows. Although, TBH, the dumping out and not inviting back read on a forum post as a bit rude. Still, I won't pretend to speak about the relationship you have with them. They could be dickhats that you weren't really that friendly with anyway.

Moving on.

My rules are---

1) Welcome aboard!
2) <see Rule #1>

We don't play the captain game and therefore I rule this craft and my rule is law. This is a toyboat and Bess and I are a doing this for fun. If people want to pretend they are in the Navy and play the rank thing, go right ahead. I think it's kinda cute.

Moving on. My rules are--- 1) Welcome aboard! 2) <see Rule #1> We don't play the captain game and therefore I rule this craft and my rule is law. This is a toyboat and Bess and I are a doing this for fun. If people want to pretend they are in the Navy and play the rank thing, go right ahead. I think it's kinda cute.
:iagree:

No pisatchios or sunflower seeds on board!

No pisatchios or sunflower seeds on board!

As much as I like them, I do try to discourage it as well. I'm afraid they may not get along with my bilge pumps.

I dump my guests red wine over the side on a regular occurrence ....
most goes through my bladder first!

HOLLYWOOD

(color changed to Cabernet for this post)

I dump my guests red wine over the side on a regular occurrence .... most goes through my bladder first! HOLLYWOOD (color changed to Cabernet for this post)
:lol::lol::lol:

I’m just about the easiest going, most fun loving “Boat BOSS” any person on a pleasure cruiser will ever meet ;-)

I CLEARLY EXPLAIN to any person newly aboard (usuals aboard that I know well already understand how I handle things):

ART’S BOAT RULES

1. Do you SWIM WELL? If not wear a pfd whenever moving around outside of boat interior; when boat is not moving and sitting outside in a secure, confined location pfd may be taken off but kept readily available.
2. Do you WELL UNDERSTAND BOATING and are you at least TWO (2) YEARS EXPERIENCED in pleasure cruise boating? If not, whether you can swim well or not, whenever boat is moving sit down inside boat or sit wearing a pfd on flying bridge.
3. Understand that you will NOT TAKE ANY ACTIONS aboard except as you may be TOLD TO DO SO by me if I need assistance. If you do not understand this rule then you cannot accompany us.
4. DO NOT do anything to or with any portion of this boat unless I explicitly instruct you to do so, and, feel free to ask me questions about any portion of this boat or cruise. Understanding and following this rule is very important.
5. ENJOY EVERY MINUTE of your time aboard! A most important factor/rule!

I have printed cards of this that rest alongside salon helm. Copy is given to each new passenger; then, they and I together carefully review 1 – 5... for aid to their ongoing comfort, full understanding, and enjoyment.

Then we go play!! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze – Art! :speed boat:

Last edited:
I only have three:

1. Keep the boat in the water
2. Keep the water out of the boat
3. Keep the guests on the boat

Wow GFC that's a lot of white. Acquaintances with red wine would make me nervous in there too. Wine away will get it out, but you'd probably be buying it by the case! So I fully understand your rule now!! I'll bring the champagne. Cheers.

I like the one about keeping the guests on the boat and the water out. Though you phrased it much better!! Reminds me of "I'd rather be on a boat with a drink on the rocks than be in the drink with a boat on the rocks".

Pineapple Girl, you would be welcome aboard Beachcomber any time, champagne or not!!

Possible solution to the red wine problem....

Attachments

• DSC00633.JPG
    DSC00633.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 92
With that almost white interior I can well appreciate the sanity in your "no red wine" rule. It's a pleasure boat and I cannot imagine being relaxed with red anything with your interior especially with a guest who is less familiar with the motion of a boat. And even, accidents occur. I'm guessing there are no spaghetti and marinara dinners aboard either.

And as you say, your boat, your rules. If Mr. Red Whine (!) doesn't like it, he should get his own boat.

Pineapple Girl (left) drinking red wine on the Coot:

img_194969_0_ceb64abbbb58a71d743e9c520707b80c.jpg

Pineapple Girl, like I said earlier--you are welcome on Beachcomber any time at all...with or without the champagne.

Keith,
I think you have it right.
I have the same rules but they are unspoken or printed.
AND there is never a shortage of White wine, Red wine, Champagne, all sorts of beer and alcoholic ginger beer. This is not a dress rehearsal.
"Life is a cabernet"
Cheers
Benn

I don’t have rules for the crew. They get a briefing.

However, when I am expecting guests, I email them these rules prior to arrival. KJ

Captain’s Rules:
No Smoking (cigarettes)
No politics
No Current Felons
No Weddings
No Weapons or Hairdryers
No Rap (sorry, not on my boat)
No Bringing back “Strays” to the Boat
No Street shoes (soft sole shoes only – barefoot is good)

“Navy showers” when underway
Keep your Bunk/Cabin “Ship Shape”
Keep the Galley (kitchen) clean
Bring your own meds (meds, not drugs)
Clothing Optional -- Captain’s discretion
Care Package for the Captain required

Absolutely no exceptions for any of the above (well, almost)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom