Top heavy/stability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who ever quoted the "golden years"? Not so "golden."

During my teens, in sports, weight lifting competitions and other things I would occasionally get bad sprains, pulled muscles. 20's thru 30's I would sometimes throw out my back from lifting heavy items way too often... or way too big. 40's noticed just about same affects as 20 through 30, but became smarter and lifted less. 50's became time to adjust my workout schedules as well as my work performed. In my mid 60's now it is surely time to keep more of a close eye on all body portions. Still working out in my weight room and performing physical work in general... but to a lesser degree.

I've found that really good back braces and knee braces work wonders to limit joint throw outs as well as tendon, ligament and muscle sprains. I put those "helpers" on whenever I'm doing physically taxing events. During work out I always wore thick leather weight belt anyway... so that fun time is covered. Found that diet and liquids consumed have a lot to do with joint and muscle health. One food I recommend is bananas. 2 to 4 per day, every day works wonders for me regarding joint stability. Their potassium count is high and they taste good too. I have 1 or 2 in morning with coffee and same amount just before bed. Can't tell you how much relief that brings to knees, elbows and shoulders... suffice it to say a lot!

Water is much needed. I drink consummate amounts of pure water. Throughout the day. And water with CO2 as well as tiny splash of fruit drink all evening long.

Coffee is my buddy! Not only does it "perk" me up in wee hours of the morning (4:30 is normally my self waking start time)... but it keeps my evacuation system in really good tune... I think you understand!

Well rounded diet is also good to do.

Keeping weight under control is a must! Breathing exercises are life savers. Stretching is needed too. Alcohol, of all sorts, in my opinion, is a poison promoted by Madison Ave. Drugs are a no-win additive. Only in severe pain times should pain relievers be used. Tums stops cramps and can do so very quickly if cramp gets out of hand.

Party On! :D

PS: Love making is another "keep young" event that should be practiced often as desired!

Last edited:
That's what's golden ..... Water, including one glass just before going to bed and one just after waking up.

Have water with you during the day and drink it.

For those concerned about the structural integrity of the crane and its attachments. I have owned a Rosborough. I have friends with Rosboroughs including two boats with this same crane. The vertical loads are carried by the cockpit floor, not by the cabin top. . The bracket on the side of the cockpit hard top, is merely there as a bracket, as the upper swivel point for the crane. It carries no vertical load.

For those concerned about the structural integrity of the crane and its attachments. I have owned a Rosborough. I have friends with Rosboroughs including two boats with this same crane. The vertical loads are carried by the cockpit floor, not by the cabin top. . The bracket on the side of the cockpit hard top, is merely there as a bracket, as the upper swivel point for the crane. It carries no vertical load.

Exactly:thumb:

Al-Ketchikan

There is a great deal of load in this crane that is not vertical. If it was a jack w no boom the load would be vertical but the lifting on the end of the boom is way off center. That takes a big chunck of vertical load off the mast .. or does it? But the mast transfers a large part of the load laterally into the roof.

But I'm not clear on this. If the boom was 30' long w a 200lb dinghy suspended outboard there would be a large lateral load on the roof. Even then there should be the same vertical load on the base of the mast .. 200lbs. But the lateral loads go from zero (w the dinghy sitting on top of the mast) to probanly well over 200lbs laterally. It seems we're getting force out of thin air. It would seem the effect of gravity (200lbs) could not multiply but it must. If the friction inside the rotating part of the boom was close to zero the vertical force at the mast base must remain 200lbs. But then where does the lateral forces come form? Leverage of course but how do we wind up w more total force than we started with? If the forces exerted remain the same the vertical load would decrease as the boom gets longer and the lateral forces increases to always total 200lbs of force adding the vertical. But if the friction of the mast was next to nothing it would seem the vertical load should remain the same????

It's a bit of a puzzle but I think the vertical load does decrease and that force is transfered into the roof as lateral loads.

For those that love to judge boats from just a picture....have at it...:D

Ha ha! I met these folks this summer at the State Dock in Bath NC. Educators on their summer Hiatus. I too was somewhat amazed with the stuff they had crammed into this 5lb bag. Bikes, dinks, Motors, generators etc. Barely enough room to sit in the cabin. Needless to say we weren't invited aboard for drinks! They seemed quite oblivious and had some pretty aggressive travel plans to the south before they turned around and headed back north. New England as I recall. They were living their dream..

Don't worry about the industrial crane weight.....They have a big Honda generator on the port side of the swim platform to compensate!!

Last edited:
With 2 compromised areas of my back I`m not into tempting fate. Getting the inflatable to the FB by hand by 2 people is possible, but if there is a better way, ie a small manual crane, it is worth having. It will be handy to lift the kayaks too, they are lighter at about 18kg but I`ve been for a swim while manhandling one to the FB.

See avatar and photo. I launched 11' inflatable and reached down 8 hp o/b off sundeck railing. Hauled em back up by hand too. Don't need no mechanical lifts! :thumb:

If that's a Tollycraft, you are one lucky guy. Love those Kelso, WA boats.

To quote some wise person, "getting older is not for sissies".

My father's favourite saying was "getting older sucks."

I think he picked that up from one of our sons, as 'sucks' is not from his generation, that's for sure.

Further thought about locating a crane on the FB.
GB and others have a mast with lifting boom(ie a crane), on the FB. Too bad IG doesn`t. Part of an original design on GBs, maybe it has support to ensure it takes the load, but it can be done.

Al, I checked my inflatable weight,a 2.6M dinghy, not a RIB, 30kg. I won`t be lifting the outboard on it, just the dinghy.
Plan is to have top and bottom plates bolted through the FB, with a right angle turn down of the inside edge of the underneath plate, to butt and attach it to an adjacent longitudinal timber beam(?) as well. The mast tube also gets support on an upright tube of the railings, St Croix designs it to do that,and supplies the attachment brackets. Crane is rated for 200lbs, but I understand the need for a good sound mounting.
The guy making the underneath plate is a cautious marina neighbour/engineer, who I think knows his stuff. We will check for deflection etc as we load it up, before putting it into service.

Bruce-- A crane makes a such huge difference, you should have considered one (if possible) with a higher rating. I installed a davit crane onto the forward deck of my Silverton when I purchased the boat some 10 years or so ago. The crane is flange mounted onto the deck proper for horizontal fulcrum forces. Both the vertical and horizontal forces are carried into a closet below the crane with a 4" aluminum pipe where the pipe is flange mounted to a plywood base supported by the boat's stringers.

I purchased and installed my crane after becoming completely fed up with hauling my Avon 10 RIB onto my sailboat's front deck via halyards after removing the outboard along with all the dinghy's contents. Now the dinghy gets lifted into and out of the water completely equipped for use. The task is reduced to pushing buttons.

Last edited:
Bruce-- A crane makes a such huge difference, you should have considered one (if possible) with a higher rating. I installed a davit crane onto the forward deck of my Silverton when I purchased the boat some 10 years or so ago..... The task is reduced to pushing buttons.
No crane certainly inhibits using the dinghy, fortunately we have 2 kayaks since Santa visited. The St Croix is a simple design,nicely built, no buttons to press, just a multi sheave rope system to pull on, which is supplied. The idea is simplicity, light weight, and easy fitting. I hope we get past the "easy fitting" stage soon.:)
If we ever make the leap to newer bigger boat I`ll sure look for a powered heavier duty crane.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom