Old 11-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #21

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Funny, you should ask that specific question.

When I had the cabinet designed, that was a concern that evolved into a modular approach in the build. All drawers and shelves (side view) are protected by doors that close onto gaskets. So far, so good, as far as not seeing any corrosion on the tools. I believe the cockpit location for storage is every bit as good as storing everything in the lazarette. Not to mention that it is a lot more accessible.

Also, the assembled cabinet weighs about 400 pounds so it was assembled in modules. The top is fiddled and serves as a small work bench as well as a counter when barbecuing. We just love this cabinet and it is in a place that is out of the way.
Wow. All i can say is i am sooo jelly! Very well done.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #22
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:

When I had the cabinet designed, that was a concern that evolved into a modular approach in the build. All drawers and shelves (side view) are protected by doors that close onto gaskets. So far, so good, as far as not seeing any corrosion on the tools. I believe the cockpit location for storage is every bit as good as storing everything in the lazarette. Not to mention that it is a lot more accessible.

Also, the assembled cabinet weighs about 400 pounds so it was assembled in modules. The top is fiddled and serves as a small work bench as well as a counter when barbecuing. We just love this cabinet and it is in a place that is out of the way.
That 400 lbs is the weight including all the tools?
If someone cleans fish on the top, you can hose it off without getting the tools wet?

Old 11-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #23
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
Lovely unit, well done.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Akin my tools are died on the fly bridge. Mostly, i use the tools in the engine room, but with two generators, don't have tool storage space there. I put all the tools I think i could possibly use onto a bucket and take that to the engine room. This means I can cut the number of trips between engine room to fly bridge from 20 to 10 or less. 🙄
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
That 400 lbs is the weight including all the tools?
If someone cleans fish on the top, you can hose it off without getting the tools wet?
The 400pounds is an empty weight. (Starboard is heavy!) Yes, it's hosed off every time the boat is washed, however fish are never cleaned on it.

(Note: This was an expensive build!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	96520   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2338.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	96521  
Old 11-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
I know you asked about tool bag[s] or backpacks and I've looked at them including the bucket bags but I ignore them. Of course I started with what I have long before the bags became common. The rolls I tossed years ago, didn't like them, and I had some good ones.

I looked at your link and that pack looks decent. At this point though I won't change but it could work and then as you go some of the tools could be
setup permanently as you learn what is needed.
For some of the "BOAT" tools go to pawn shops where you can get some decent tools for a not bad price. Or even estate and garage sales.

I ruined my nice steel boxes but also the steel ones if not handled carefully dinged and damaged a few things.

I keep the common use tools and boat specific tools aboard. I use several small plastic tool boxes.
One for the screwdrivers, electrical tools and knives.
One for the 1/4 drives
One for the 3/8 drives and comb.wrenches up to 13/16", Allen wrenches.
One for the 1/2 drives and large wrenches up to 1.25. 3/8 bend beam torque wrench, filter wrench, hammers, hacksaw and blades, files and so on.

I use a tool tray, plastic, to carry tools around the boat although that doesn't always work as inevitably I leave some thing aside.

Of course not all fits in these bins but they contain most of the larger tools and in reasonable order. They stay aboard the boat.
I use other small boxes/bins for supplies such as screws and bolts, gaskets, sealers, lubricants,. The few metric sockets and wrenches needed are in a large peanut butter jar.

For the really common use tools such as specific screwdrivers, small wrenches, nut drivers, pliers I made some Mickey Mouse drop in holders so I do not always have to dig through the boxes. There are some job specific tools I have mounted nearby their use point such as the stuff box wrenches I made along with the through hull wrench.
A battery drill lives aboard with drill bit index and countersink, screw driver bits. A DMM, live aboard.

For the larger tools such as grinders, sanders, more powerfull drills, planes, large bars and files, more serious and expensive electrical tools and so on I bring them down as needed using buckets or Rubbermaid bins.

Of course boat size will also dictate what can be done.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #27
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
I wore out a Harbor Freight bag in about 5 years. This new one will last a long time. I also have an electric bag and a drill bag.Click image for larger version

Name:	1116191353.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	96525Click image for larger version

Name:	1116191352a.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	96526
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #28
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:

Wow! That is a work of art, right there.

I use a small tool chest. I've kept it on the sole right at the helm, and it serves as a perfect foot rest when underway. Also, much like wearing a rain jacket to ward off any potential rain, I like having the tools right out in the open, just as a preventative charm. Not sure it's working.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:24 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My boat tools are in a canvas tool bag. Much easier to handle removing and returning it from/to the compartment at the bottom of the port-side pilothouse bench
Old 11-16-2019, 11:00 PM   #30

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
I use both. have a couple boxes and they're heavy enough i don't like carrying them around. So, i have a small tool bag that I load up and carry as necessary. Works for me.
"Meannder"
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #31
FF
Guru

The key to me is what is easy to access and yet secure so if flying it wont knock a thru hull with no seacock loose.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #32
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
I use the toolpak bag; have for years. Fact is, I wore one out. The way the boat is set up, I don't need to lift it. Couldn't. Primarily used for wrenches, screwdrivers , etc. Other necessary tools, like electrical tools, meters, etc are kept in DeWalt stack packs. Small power tools, drills, etc are kept in ammo boxes. anything else I take to the boat for the specific project.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:09 AM   #33
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
Spoons don't do terribly well with spaghetti

Sounds like you don't know how to eat spaghetti.

For your benefit, a lesson on how to eat spaghetti. What amazing things we learn on TF:

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #34
Guru

City: gulf coast
Tool box mounted just at the ER entrance. Any tool used on the boat stays on the boat. I did the vast majority of work myself and having the right tool makes it easier. Very large stuff like oil filter wrenches and pipe wrenches for stuffing boxes were in a separate bin.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #35
Guru

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
We are fortunate to have a small workbench in the engine room. I found some small locking drawers from a work van outfitting company. With some shoe-horning, four of the small three-drawer units wedged in underneath. It was a little "spendy", but it was well worth it for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191118_092754 (Medium).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	96601  
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #36
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
For me, tool bags for anything mobile. I keep one plastic drawer toolbox (actually a fishing tackle box) in the ER for sockets, wrenches and stuff that never leaves there.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently moored in Englewood, Florida.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: East Lyme
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1988 46' Grand Banks Classic
Tool bag

So I have multiple tool handbags from Home Depot - cheap and easy to store. One for drill and power drive along with accessories and spare batteries, one for sockets/wrenches/screw drivers/pliers, one for electrical work strippers, dikes, screw drivers, tie wraps, heat gun, shrink wrap, etc, one for large mechanics tools - breaker bars, strap wrench, ex large screw drivers mechanic hammer, etc (don't carry this one around much). All store in the engine room and easy to move around. I agree not as elegant as a tool chest but flexible and relatively light.
jrhodes777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #38

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
I use a white canvas tool bag for the daily/routine tools, and a clear/white plastic tool box for the rest of the small tools. The big tools go in a lower locker painted white.

I learned to buy light colored bags and boxes I can see my tools in vs black boxes/bags where everything disappears.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #39
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Same here but I hate going in the lazarette for my tool boxes so I bit the bullet and had this built. (Please don't ask how much.)
Did you have that made at boatoutfitters.com? They do very nice work, but I agree on not asking what it cost...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #40
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
We have storage areas under the saloon steps (under each step - hinged)going up to the sundeck and under the step to the side door. I use plastic containers to keep things organized. I use a small HD tool bag to load up tools for any given project - and these step/storage areas are close to ER access so that works well for me. But this is an evolving area for us.

And Codger that is one beautiful cabinet! We had an area on the sundeck that i was eyeing for such a cabinet - but alas, it now holds our new ice maker.

FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote