Tool bag or Tool Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The key to me is what is easy to access and yet secure so if flying it wont knock a thru hull with no seacock loose.

I use the toolpak bag; have for years. Fact is, I wore one out. The way the boat is set up, I don't need to lift it. Couldn't. Primarily used for wrenches, screwdrivers , etc. Other necessary tools, like electrical tools, meters, etc are kept in DeWalt stack packs. Small power tools, drills, etc are kept in ammo boxes. anything else I take to the boat for the specific project.

Spoons don't do terribly well with spaghetti

Sounds like you don't know how to eat spaghetti.

For your benefit, a lesson on how to eat spaghetti. What amazing things we learn on TF:

Tool box mounted just at the ER entrance. Any tool used on the boat stays on the boat. I did the vast majority of work myself and having the right tool makes it easier. Very large stuff like oil filter wrenches and pipe wrenches for stuffing boxes were in a separate bin.

We are fortunate to have a small workbench in the engine room. I found some small locking drawers from a work van outfitting company. With some shoe-horning, four of the small three-drawer units wedged in underneath. It was a little "spendy", but it was well worth it for me.

Attachments

• 20191118_092754 (Medium).jpg
    20191118_092754 (Medium).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 80
For me, tool bags for anything mobile. I keep one plastic drawer toolbox (actually a fishing tackle box) in the ER for sockets, wrenches and stuff that never leaves there.

Tool bag

So I have multiple tool handbags from Home Depot - cheap and easy to store. One for drill and power drive along with accessories and spare batteries, one for sockets/wrenches/screw drivers/pliers, one for electrical work strippers, dikes, screw drivers, tie wraps, heat gun, shrink wrap, etc, one for large mechanics tools - breaker bars, strap wrench, ex large screw drivers mechanic hammer, etc (don't carry this one around much). All store in the engine room and easy to move around. I agree not as elegant as a tool chest but flexible and relatively light.

I use a white canvas tool bag for the daily/routine tools, and a clear/white plastic tool box for the rest of the small tools. The big tools go in a lower locker painted white.

I learned to buy light colored bags and boxes I can see my tools in vs black boxes/bags where everything disappears.

Same here but I hate going in the lazarette for my tool boxes so I bit the bullet and had this built. (Please don't ask how much.) :nonono:

Did you have that made at boatoutfitters.com? They do very nice work, but I agree on not asking what it cost...

We have storage areas under the saloon steps (under each step - hinged)going up to the sundeck and under the step to the side door. I use plastic containers to keep things organized. I use a small HD tool bag to load up tools for any given project - and these step/storage areas are close to ER access so that works well for me. But this is an evolving area for us.

And Codger that is one beautiful cabinet! We had an area on the sundeck that i was eyeing for such a cabinet - but alas, it now holds our new ice maker.

Last edited:
Funny, you should ask that specific question.

When I had the cabinet designed, that was a concern that evolved into a modular approach in the build. All drawers and shelves (side view) are protected by doors that close onto gaskets. So far, so good, as far as not seeing any corrosion on the tools. I believe the cockpit location for storage is every bit as good as storing everything in the lazarette. Not to mention that it is a lot more accessible.

Also, the assembled cabinet weighs about 400 pounds so it was assembled in modules. The top is fiddled and serves as a small work bench as well as a counter when barbecuing. We just love this cabinet and it is in a place that is out of the way.

That takes the cake!

What a cool looking storage chest!

Florida Riggers Bag

Florida riggers bag works well.

Attachments

• EE42D780-E2B6-4DFC-9EEA-7006DDE74C09.jpg
    EE42D780-E2B6-4DFC-9EEA-7006DDE74C09.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 58
Thanks everyone for your input, I will be going with two backpack bags, one for mechanical tools the other for electrical. Tools are not an issue, spent last 30+ years restoring classic cars and motorcycles as a hobby, my best friend is a retired navy electronics guru and is assembling me a first class electronics bag of goodies. I made my decision based on the size of the boat, (34 foot Mainship) All my tools will be kept near my home port and I can swap them out as needed for projects, while keeping must have tools on the boat all the time.

6 month update, bags are working perfectly. I have a go to bag that has things I use on a daily basis and tool specific bags that I can grab if needed. For the wrenches, sockets, extensions, screw drivers, I went with ammo boxes. Harbor freight ones that are plastic with a rubber gasket. So far they have kept my tools handy, dry and rust fee and are easy to stow with the other soft bags. I also keep an empty spare bag, that at the end of the day I throw all the tools that I am using on a particular job into, and just grab that bag the next day.

White canvas riggers bag...so you can see what's in the bag!
Tools can "disappear" in a dark bag in low light situations.

I have an open tool bag that is semi rigid with my regular used tools in it. I have 3 rigid plastic tool boxes with 1/4”, 3/8” and 1/2” drive tools in each. They are not used as often so they are stored out of the way. My bag stays out most if the time, much to the dismay of my wife...

I don't have enough space for a decent tool cabinet or workbench in the small engine room of my 33' boat. When I bought the boat, I really didn't know exactly what I might need, so I acquired a compact kit that seemed to have a little bit of everything...and added a few more bits. It was a compromise between toolset completeness, compactness and quality. I suspect they're "China's best" or something like that, but the kit has served me well for 10 years now and the tools have not broken or deteriorated. This probably isn't as easy to carry around as the backpack you're considering, but it might be just a bit more compact. I keep this under a sofa in my main salon. It weighs ~30 lbs.

Attachments

• 1091200A.jpg
    1091200A.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 1001981A_2.jpg
    1001981A_2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 27
Sorry - just now noticed the age of the original post...and its resolution. Hopefully some others will find my comment and pictures useful later on...

Last edited:
When it comes to boxes or bags, my answer is yes, both.
One or two of the techs working on my boat have a back pack with a ‘place for everything and everything in its place’. Looks great until you pick it up.

Last edited:
Interesting thread and timing. After a few large projects my tools ended up all over the boat. I spent more time looking for tools than the project took itself.

Just this weekend I bought some boxes that stack and lock like Legos and I can bungee down in the laz. I can grab an “electrical box” or “mechanical box” and work or I can stack some on a roller box to head down the dock if I’m helping out a neighbor.

Adjustments.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. A. Nice set-up. I can empathize with the spending more time looking for tools situation. Organization is good. I've got some smaller sizes available from Home Despot that lock together. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-...ts-Organizer-in-Black-2-Pack-320034/204515485

Mr. EW. Regarding short term or overnight stowage for tools being used, parts and bits and pieces, I've got one of these:

iu

ONE advantage I've found with this tote/caddy thing is it's a place to put all the little bits of garbage a particular task may generate (stripped wire ends, wood chips etc.). Keeps that stuff out of your tool bag/box.

Bag. It stores in the odd-shaped non-rectangular spaces and doesn't beat itself or the boat to pieces in choppy seas.

1 & 1/2 years later and still happy with my choices. Picked up two round white riggers bags as suggested and they have been a good addition. The ammo boxes for tools have kept them organized and dry. Now all I need to do is quit dropping tools overboard.

A lot of the "all-in-ones" don't seem to have much in the way of electrical tools. That seems to be one of the more important tool sets, at least for me. I have canvas rigger bags. An old salt told me they help keep down corrosion. He seems to have been right. If I do have some rust, a bath in vinegar at the end of the season seems to fix them up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom