Took a step back in time yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
Yesterday there was a open house held on two charter boats here in Friday Harbor. The first was the M/V CATALYST. Built in Seattle for the University Of Washington, it was used for research for many years. At over 74 feet long and a 110 ton displacement, she will carry up to 12 guests and a crew of 4-5. While we were aboard the captain, Bill Bailey, started the 6 cylinder Estep engine for us. I love hearing these old engines run.

This year they acquired a second vessel, the 92 foot M/V WESTWARD. Also built in Seattle in the 1930's this boat was used as a adventure charter
boat from the beginning. She has hosted many famous people.

The Catalyst will be leaving for Alaska mid April and is already fully booked for the trip north. The Westward will remain in the Puget Sound area this summer. But if any of you folks wanting to see northern British Columbia or Alaska and don't have your own boat, these type of charter boats are the way to go.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 100
More pictures please!!

There's a short article in the latest BoatUs Magazine on Bill and Shannon Bailey and the Catalyst. Seven day cruises start at $3850/person. The article probably didn't hurt their business.;)
Nice ride :thumb:

Just happen to have more pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 111
Interesting that on a boat that big they don't have room in their wheelhouse for their display screens. The articulate up under the overhead. I've even got room for mine in little Willy and nothing is above the windows. Don't like to fight the sun to see my instruments.

Looks like Volvo green on that engine in post #1.

Last edited:
Westward

I first saw westward in the 1980's when the Owner that had circumnavigated her came through Santa Barbara. I took his lines as he jockeyed her back and forth to get her on a side tie. Her Atlas engine was stopped and started in reverse many times to do the dance to get her alongside.
The elderly couple and a equally seasoned engineer were her only crew. The owner has a very nice fellow and told me the history of the boat, He also mentioned that the engineer had been aboard for a long time.The engineer slept in the engine room while under way to refill the oil cups
( I believe these were in the valve train ) to keep the 300 rpm Atlas lubed.

The engineer wore bright white coveralls and spoke with a heavy accent, I vaguely remember the owner referring to him as Mr Chang or something along that line. As a die hard sailor at that part of my life this was the first time I had the notion that a power boat could do a circumnavigation, which sort of planted the seed of our move to trawlers.

Later after I moved to Port Townsend I had the opportunity to go aboard both boats ( Catalyst and Westward ) as they both wintered her for years. Both yachts are really special boats and it is a labor of love to keep them going.

The yachting world really is a small one,
Hollywood

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom