Too much roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are the increased odds of picking up lobster/crab pots while dragging paravanes? Suspect it is many times more than keel-protected propeller and rudder.

Last edited:
What are the increased odds of picking up lobster/crab pots while dragging paravanes? Suspect it is many times more than keel-protected propeller and rudder.

Depends on where you cruise. In your area, we wouldn't need to run paravanes. I'd be more concerned about hitting a kayak. :)

Along w an Aqua Drive I'd have paravanes on Willy too if I had lots of money and time. Lots and lots of things on boats may be desirable but wether they make sense on your boat or my boat is another question. My boat is being worked on by Chris and myself and also by yard workers. Every dollar and every hour spent on maintenance can be spent out on the boat or doing something else and as we're getting older a balance of how to spend one's time and money becomes more important. Our outlook on modifications, upgrades and other improvements is now much closer to the real world than in younger years. I'm quite sure the AquaDrive and paravanes won't find their way onto our boat while we own it. Just don't need them.

My ex-brother in law and I both had an Albin 25 and we both now have Willard's. He is involved in commercial fishing and more or less needs the stabilizers. He had them on the Albin and is keen on getting them on his Willard. My needs are different. I just don't need them.

Here's a 22' with 10' poles......

IMG_2587.jpg

P1000215.jpg

Larry,
Go to his website. There's lots of other wonderful things to see there. ...... Like the boat Yellow Cedar.

My two cents; Crossing oceans and long distant cruising poles and fish reasonable answer to rolling. Inshore and waterway use better to have hull-sail- or fin stabilization unless boat and wallet can do gyro. At anchor a good set of flap type flopper stopper units. In general it is a PITA to deploy and un deploy any rig. My general preference is for a hull and weight distribution based solution.

I might try building a set of Paravanes out of hydrofoils that get mount to stern drives. I would Just install them upside down . Anyone try it? I think it might work with a smaller profile.

Last edited:
Tad Great little boat. If this boat is traveling with fish deployed what kind of cursing speed would be anticipated?

I don't mind agreeing, she is (happily) a great little boat. It's nice when they work out.

I don't have precise speed/HP numbers for her in the current (heavily loaded) cruising condition. The owner did report a cruise through the San Juans and up into BC covering about 300 miles and burning 25usg of fuel, total. His usual cruising speed was a hair less than 6.5 knots at around 2400 RPM on the 29HP Nani.

I don't have the impression he uses the stabilizers a lot. He started out with the smallest fish from Kolstrand, in steel these weigh 19 pounds and are I think about 120 sq inches. These are recommended for boats like the Willard 30. So the owner (who likes to make things) built some little fish, about 2/3rds the size of the smallest Kolstrands, about 12 pounds. These are really easy to handle and the drag is quite small. I would be surprised if they took more than 1/4 knot off cruising speed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom