Too close at anchorage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I gather most of you on this thread would not like anchoring in Block Island, RI.
If you're anchored in the pond, you're pretty much always swinging over someone's hook. Just pray the wind doesn't die cause you're likely to meet your neighbors up close.
Happened only once last summer....tapped on the Bertram that was drifting toward me, woke the capt and told him to shorten up about 20 feet so he could pass in front of me. He obliged and that was it. No fuss.
Later that morning he gave us 2 nice Black Sea bass that he caught the day before because we woke him up to deal with the situation calmly.

Sea Duction re your #59 post,
Not totally sure about the SB and scope.
However if you were a SB w a light rode how would you anchor? With a light rode at longer scope (4 or 5 to one) or short at 2.5 to 3-1? Saying they anchor at short scope is calling them idjits. To listen to SB people you'd think they we were the idjits. Neither is I'm sure. Go figure.

Last edited:
Maybe what's called for is a little reverse psychology. "I just got this boat and am not real good at anchoring. You should easily be able to hear my horn if we start dragging. "

For the record, I anchor 7:1 and don't care what other people think. In 15' of water that's another 45' of chain. I sleep well knowing my Rocna isn't coming out.

Ted

Since anchorages are too crowded and campgrounds are too crowded and cities are too crowded and roads are too crowded and airports are too crowded maybe there’s just too many people.
I can’t belive the number of folks lately that actually think there’s not too many people.

There is an option though. None or few will do it. Run at night and anchor during the day. Is this a joke? Yes.

But short of moving to Alaska there’s no solution. So this is a “coping” thread.

There are many places in the world with beautiful anchorages without any boats. On our last 2 week cruise anchoring out for 12 of the 14 nights, we only had to share an anchorage only once, with one other boat. This was in mid summer on one of the most popular local cruising areas.

Some days, we don't see another boat at all.

Aus Can,
Guess I was talk’in bout the cont US.
Shoulda been specific.
We were in SE Alaska from 06 to 13 or so. Had anchorages to ourselves most of the timeand generally were very well protected. But often small and w numerous hazards. Had to patrol around in circles w eyes glued to the GPS looking for big rocks or shallows. Finally drifted into a rock at 2am in small narrow Ire Inlet. Up on deck in my shorts shortening scope. Amazing how big a noise it made. You’d think it would be a small scratching like noise. Was a big boom sound.

Weather was really fine when we entered another small anchorage called Windfall Harbor. The name went right over my head. Why?. Fortunately it only blew 35or so as I anchored w my lunch hook. 13lb Dan. And the wind blew right down the narrow anchorage. It was a blow hole close to home. As usual I was luckey though.

Those were the days I was very keen on any anchor that did well on short scope. And stayed away from all that were questionable.

In BC there was a fairly small anchorage (Patterson Inlet) that was somewhat well known. Good for maybe 5 boats in benign weather. Anchored there twice before and was the only boat but this time there were two other boats both much bigger than our little boat. Think it blew slightly over 50 knots (was predicted on the radio) ant the Krogen in front of us dragged very close to us in the night. We picked up and went ahead to his spot (because he didn’t) and rode out the night up near the creek. We were fairly close to the 45’ sailboat on chain and a CQR. Could see his masthead light and faintly his ports. Was just like a blustery fall day in the morning. Next night (Mockton Inlet) we had all to ourselves. All of the many little coves there. The creeks were overflowing from the heavy rain the night before.

!st pic as we started out.
2nd pic the morning after. The Krogen dragged on his Bruce. Snagged a small tree. That's where we started out w the rocks right behind us.

Attachments

• DSCF0363 copy.jpg
    DSCF0363 copy.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0368 copy.jpg
    DSCF0368 copy.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
There are many places in the world with beautiful anchorages without any boats. On our last 2 week cruise anchoring out for 12 of the 14 nights, we only had to share an anchorage only once, with one other boat. This was in mid summer on one of the most popular local cruising areas.

North coast of BC (off the Inside Passage treadmill) it's much the same :thumb:

I gather most of you on this thread would not like anchoring in Block Island, RI.
If you're anchored in the pond, you're pretty much always swinging over someone's hook. Just pray the wind doesn't die cause you're likely to meet your neighbors up close.
Happened only once last summer....tapped on the Bertram that was drifting toward me, woke the capt and told him to shorten up about 20 feet so he could pass in front of me. He obliged and that was it. No fuss.
Later that morning he gave us 2 nice Black Sea bass that he caught the day before because we woke him up to deal with the situation calmly.

I agree. In most cases, in really tight quarters, if it starts to get confused (e.g. slack tide at high or low with no wind) the boats start to wander. Occasionally they bump, but it is a slow-motion affair. A small child can typically fend off a boat in those conditions.

The same thing with dragging in high wind. You don't typically drag that fast. In many cases, it's easier to fender the boats, and raft the offender up temporarily. In the case of slack wind and tide, it only lasts about 60-90 minutes until the tide starts to run again. Completely dead air is fairly rare, so you don't see it that often.

We met our absolute best friends in boating (probably our best friends in general) because they anchored right on top of us. We could have put our fists on our hips and made glaring faces, but we didn't. When our boat wagged past them you could practically pass a beer from platform to pulpit. (They were beside us until the wind shifted, then they were behind us) We decided to have a few drinks with them adn socialize instead. Fast forward a few years and we spent Thanksgiving with them in Florida last year.

You never know how many potential opportunities you drive away in an attempt to stake out your share of the free ocean.

I will say that I would be more comfortable NOT being alone. Sure, it has its merits once and a while, but if something were to happen... something catastrophic... I would like to have some people around to assist.

But that's just me.

Where I anchor, getting too close is a function of drift. When the wind has stopped blowing and the tide changes, drift will occur. Those on a mostly rope rode will move, those on all chain will likely merely spin, and if they move, it will be much less. The spacing that was mandated by the wind and current at the time of anchoring no longer leaves a comfortable distance between boats. If this occurs during the afternoon, folks will let out or take in rode to adjust and some will move. At night, only those who are getting up to have a look, or maintaining an anchor watch will even know about the movement. If the wind comes up from a different direction, some anchors will actually drag, but most crowding will happen where a swinging boat with a long, mostly rope rode comes too close to a boat with all chain, merely spinning in place or moving but not going as far. Collisions, if they occur at all, happen at a low speed and rarely leave a mark.

In the BVI, in a full anchorage, a mega yacht (over 150 ft) anchored at the head of the bay. We were at the back of the bay, behind 50 or so others. After the boat toys were put away, after sundown, the wind died, then in an hour or two, rose again from a different direction. The mega sent out a tender who went to all of the boats downwind and warned them that she was dragging and they should move so as to avoid being swept downwind. We were well inside, so didn't move. In the morning, a light, but persistent tapping woke me. Going on deck I found the bow of a similar sized sailboat tapping the side of ours. I gave it a shove, made coffee and sat in the cockpit, enjoying the peace of a windless sunrise. She came to visit a couple of times more before her occupants showed above deck. Then came the realization that their anchor was within a few feet of ours (plainly visible in the 30' depth) and they moved. No marks and a memorable story.

Last Summer we were anchored in Andrews Bay (Lake Washington) on a breezy night. Early the next morning there was a tapping on the hull. I went on deck and found a 22ft cuddy cabin along side. The owner said we had dragged anchor and drifted into him. I pointed out that he had been anchored ahead of me and the wind had not changed direction, so it was more likely he had dragged. We invited them to tie up and come in for coffee and breakfast. He was with his 10 or 12 year old daughter. As we were tying lines I noticed his daughter bringing his anchor up, a very small Danforth with about 50 feet of line out in 30 feet of water. During breakfast he said it was his first boat and his first overnight trip. We talked about anchors (yes, I know), anchoring technique, and getting at least 25 feet of chain. All in all a very nice encounter.

I will say that I would be more comfortable NOT being alone. Sure, it has its merits once and a while, but if something were to happen... something catastrophic... I would like to have some people around to assist.

But that's just me.

We live here because the population is small and the surrounding wilderness is so big.

There is no radio reception in some areas around here due to mountains & twisting waterways, and we can go days without seeing another boat. Self reliance is key...so we have a 9.9hp outboard kicker on the swim grid and carry a Spot Messenger https://www.findmespot.ca/en/

We live here because the population is small and the surrounding wilderness is so big.

There is no radio reception in some areas around here due to mountains & twisting waterways, and we can go days without seeing another boat. Self reliance is key...so we have a 9.9hp outboard kicker on the swim grid and carry a Spot Messenger https://www.findmespot.ca/en/

That would scare the crap out of me.

That would scare the crap out of me.

We grew up here, so it’s normal.

In our twenties we sea kayaked for two months in the winter and talked to people on two occasions, but we were young so that didn’t seem crazy at all :facepalm:

After politely telling them they're too close, I'm going to surrender and move on. I'm not on the water for a fight and the same people who engage in road rage are out there in boats. I'm chicken and not going to risk getting shot over anchoring and, yes, I've heard first hand of incidents where guns were pulled over it. I don't know who the other people are or whether they're drunk or on drugs or just as..oles with horrible tempers. Too many senseless acts and I'm not going to incite one.

Very early in my legal career, I drove a very wealthy Texan to a meeting. He had a reputation for being a real tough guy in adversarial business relationships. On the way, I got cut off by some guy in typical California fashion, and frankly, I didn't give it a second thought. My client reflexively remarked something to the effect that in Texas that guy would not last a week before being shot. He went on to explain that knowing the car next to you is probably armed made for a much more polite and civil society. I learned much from him.

Murray has summed up the goal for most of us traveling the north coast of BC, and SE Alaska. Solitude and self reliance are the key notes, backed up with a sat phone, or a Spot or Inreach sat text device for emergencies.

Murray has summed up the goal for most of us traveling the north coast of BC, and SE Alaska. Solitude and self reliance are the key notes, backed up with a sat phone, or a Spot or Inreach sat text device for emergencies.

Cape Caution keeps the riff-raff out :thumb:

Very early in my legal career, I drove a very wealthy Texan to a meeting. He had a reputation for being a real tough guy in adversarial business relationships. On the way, I got cut off by some guy in typical California fashion, and frankly, I didn't give it a second thought. My client reflexively remarked something to the effect that in Texas that guy would not last a week before being shot. He went on to explain that knowing the car next to you is probably armed made for a much more polite and civil society. I learned much from him.

There is a theory that people from the south are so polite because of the access to firearms and the hunting culture. It is always "Sir" this, "Ma'am" that, and "Please" and "Thank you", because you never know who might have a gun handy.

I don't know why it is but I can anchor out in the middle of Galveston bay and some one will invariably come out and anchor near me. It's like that everywhere. (It's a shallow bay except for the ship channel). Maybe they think we're on the fish but usually we're just hanging out eating or skinny dippin away from everyone. They usually pull anchor and clear out when we get out of the water. LOL.

Kevin

I think more would be accomplished if BOTH sides would stop blaming the other for idiots and just accept that there are ALWAYS idiots in both groups.

For me it's simple math. In SF Bay, the ratio of sailboats to power boats is probably 200:1, so the likelihood of a sailboat versus power boat anchoring close to me is an order of magnitude higher.

Makes me think they know something I don't. :facepalm:

When we started out for the Eastern Caribbean many years ago we dreamed of isolated anchorages. The world unfortunately is different, being alone in an anchorage in many of the islands makes you a target. Thus the boaters tend to stick together and the anchoring problems begin.

We avoided most anchoring problems by almost always anchoring at the back of the pack. Many of the worst anchoring offenders tend to go close to shore and thus we are not bothered by them. Little further dinghy ride but to us (especially my wife) it is worth it.

Sitting in one of our favourite spots now, shows as land on the charts but we have a few feet under the keel at low.
Nearest boat is 2 miles away.
Civilisation is 3 miles away
Capital city cbd is 20 miles away.

My absolute favourite spot is a coral lagoon about 70 miles out.
Spent a couple of months there one year, no radio, no TV, just me the booby birds, turtles and crayfish.
I only went a little bit cray cray (-;

Woke up Sunday morning at our anchorage out with these clowns about 20 feet from our boat in their 20 feet deck boat eating chips, with plenty of water all around us. I just dont get it sometimes...I debated walking around the aft and fly bridge naked to see if I could get them to move...by the time I decided too...they took off.

Last December we anchored across from Ft Myers City Marina in about 6ft of water. Not thirty seconds after shutting down the engine a guy in a ratty old dinghy charges up all a flutter and yell at me that I’m anchored on top of his anchor line, a sailboat at least 200 ft away. I asked him if he was tuna fishing which did not compute. The angle was not even close. I bit my tongue. Last in first out. I moved another 100 yards away. Reminder to self, buy a laser range finder.

Let the idiots alone

I agree with the previous post, Avoid confrontations at all cost. Just recently we started the engine pulled the anchor and reset 100 yards away. I think that it was obvious to the infiltrator! Out on block Island we had a large sport fishing boat drag down on us. He told the harbor master that he couldn’t move the boat because he never ran it at night. We just get out of the way and let them be. CT has more nuts any anywhere else, LOL. But PS “Say Hello To My Little Friend!Cannon 50 Cal Yankee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Humans are a social animal.
For the most part they want to be around other people. You may not, but then we are not talking about you.
Also, insecurity with anchoring, makes the attraction greater. Meaning, I'm not sure what I'm doing or if this is a good spot, but if I'm near that other boat, I should be OK (because presumably they know what they are doing).

Get one of those high powered Karaoke machines and bring it on deck for a karaoke sing-off... With the right singer, you might clear an anchorage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom