Old 09-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #1

City: Port Lincoln
Vessel Name: Cabernet
Vessel Model: Resort 35
Toilets, Electric or manual ?

Electric or Manual, which variety do forumites think is the most advantageous.
I have both, but one needs replacing, electric is noisy but more convenient for the ladies, manual does the job.
what do you think ?

Rubber Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We have macerating toilets and couldn't be happier. The noise factor is insignificant, and the thing is only operating for a few moments.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
I have both, but one needs replacing, electric is noisy but more convenient for the ladies, manual does the job.
what do you think ?
Think you answered your own question. Not a bad idea to make them feel more comfortable.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Electric all the way.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. OC. "Not a bad idea to make them feel more comfortable." for what it's worth I always feel more comfortable regardless of the appliance used...I know, TMI but I was corrupted by the toilet paper thread...

Old 09-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
Guru

I switched from manual to electric this year and couldn't be happier. At first it was more to please my girlfriend than anything else as I viewed then as noisy and a source of more things that can break. But since I was doing a bathroom makeover, I said what the heck. After one season of using it daily I have to say I couldn't be happier. It worked flawlessly and as someone said already the noise is only for a few seconds once in a while. No big deal. Except maybe in the middle of the night. Lol
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We have an electric toilet and it's worked flawlessly for almost ten years till yesterday. It would'nt flush. No amount of button pushing would even make a small noise. What to do? Well I looked at all the wiring I could get at and checked all the fuses. We were headed home w one more leg to go.

I hooked up the start battery when we got underway that I had disconected when we anchored because I'm not 100 % sure of my system (long time on the hard). Well .. on the way out of Fishermans Cove I pressed the button one more time. IT FLUSHED. The start battery seems to need to be hooked up to have the electric toilet functioning! That seems very strange to me but we were happy to get our little toilet back.

How could that be? We're going back to the boat today to finish things re unpacking ect (it was low tide when we got home (think steep ramp)) and I have intentions of playing around a bit w the head.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
Guru

City: AR
Obviously your toilet is wired to the start battery...which isn't that bad a plan, actually, because electric toilets need to be on their own separate dedicated circuit, shared by nothing else that can reduce power to it...low voltage will destroy any electric motor and is the most common cause of electric toilet failures..Since it's unlikely that anyone will be flushing the toilet while the engine(s) are being started, I wouldn't change a thing...UNLESS the possibility exists that the toilet could get enough use during an extended period on a hook to deplete the battery. In that case, best to run a new circuit to a house battery.

While I have the floor... IMO, the toilet that landlubber guests will use should be a no-brainer to flush 'cuz guests cause at least 90% of toilet problems. "Push the button, count to 3" is something even great aunt Martha can grasp...the most common landlubber reaction to "move the lever to the "wet" side, pump 6 times, move it back to wet and ..." is glazed eyes and a wet wipes clog you have to surgically remove after they leave.

As for noise, today's electric macerating toilets are a LOT quieter than they used to be, especially those designed to use pressurized fresh water. The Raritan Marine Elegance is the quietest marine toilet on the planet. Their SeaEra QC is a close second.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
When I bought the boat, it had an old electric head that sounded like a buzz saw! It was replaced years ago with a Jabsco Quiet Flush that has been flawless. It's a little louder than the Raritan but is MUCH quieter than my old model. It also operates similarly and is more affordable than the Raritan Marine Elegance.

I wanted a system that operated as closely to the home version as possible. I liked the idea that I could add a little water to the bowl in advance, if needed. Single button flush was the goal. We are very pleased with the system.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Is vacuflusha choice???? That would be mine over electric or manual. If I am reduced to only those two choices, I would take electric for all of the reasons above.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #11
FF
Guru

Really depends on the Quality of your guests.

If its mostly Lubbers the push button electric unit will be worth the extra installation , trouble shooting , repair, expen$e and occasional dead batts.

If its mostly boat folks a QUALITY (not the $99 Jabsco),, a Groco K or Skipper would be my first choice.

If its a split decision a Lavac with a better (edson) pump for waste would be just fine.

Usually it can't be plugged (with edson pump) so a pail of water and it will be back in action with zero effort.

Tossing cat waste , hard cigars,may require the water.

OF course if the vessel configuration would allow the waste tank directly below the head , a good RV unit would be best of all.

No guest,hassles almost no water use and almost no repairs decade after decade..

Lavac Marine Toilets

www.lavac.com/
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Peggie thank you very much.

I concluded it was wired to the start batt but just thought it was crazy weird. My Repower was done by a shade tree mechanic from Oaklahoma doing his first repower. He caused lots of problems but did lots of nice things one would'nt expect too. With your blessing Peggie I'm quite sure I'll leave it the way it is.

We do however need to do numerous experiments to get things right and to get intamate w our boat re how things work, how they are wired ect. Supprises are frequently not a plus on a boat.

Al, Baker .. I think ours is a Rairtan and very quiet. Can't remember what model. It has full flush, half flush and "empty bowl". I remember shopping for it and Chris wouldn't have anything to do w the Vacuflush .. the big noise. I was leaning that way.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #13
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
what do you think ?

We have a Jabsco electric freshwater Quiet Flush, and it's reliable, "convenient" for everybody (i.e., not just ladies), and seems relatively quiet to us.

I suspect electric raw water toilets are less quiet?

We've had a Vacuflush in the past, and it worked well enough, too.... although the loud POP when flushing at 3 in the morning was a bit difficult to warm up to.

-Chris
Old 09-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sidney
What's with all you people needing the can in the middle of the night?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #15
Guru

Ummm...

Old age? (Certainly in my case...)

-Chris
Old 09-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Ummm...
Old age? (Certainly in my case...)
-Chris
Hawgwash!
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #17
Guru

Old 09-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Maybe being a Luddite comes with being a sailor? I like the manual heads. Well, I like my Raritan manual head (I hate my WC manual head). The Manual head is just about bullet proof and simple to use. One dial, and a pump handle. I just tell new guests how many pumps to use to flush to clear the line to the holding tank.

I am sure that I am being overly concerned about reliability on those new-fangled electric toilets, but still.....

Dave

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #19
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
If you decide to replace your manual toilet with an electric, you can probably save a few bucks by buying a conversion kit and reusing the bowl. This depends on the type of manual toilet you have but the majority of them can be converted.
Both Jabsco and Raritan make conversion kits. The Raritan Sea Era conversion kit would be my choice and I see Peggie likes it also.

Going to a toilet that has a remotely mounted supply pump, wether it is your fresh water pump or a remote raw water pump will make things much quieter.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:22 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Same Groco K manual for 16 years. Never repaired (disposable items replaced of course). Never plugged. But then we have few landlubbers on board.

We give this toilet a lot of use as we live aboard at anchor more than four months a year and it is our sole toilet.